Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

What is the easiest way to setup/use multiple cfgs

good afternoon,

i've been searching for an easy way to setup two config files for my fsx setup, one with full realism for fixed wing ops and one with reduced realism and sensitivity for rotary wing ops.  i haven't been able to find an easy way to set up multiple config files, Paul J had a tutorial under tips and tricks but that link is dead now.  one additional complication for me is i don't use the fsx.exe to start fsx, i use the external fps limiter .exe to start the external limiter and that starts fsx.  anyway, any ideas for how i can put together an easy setup where i can click on one icon for helo flying and click on another icon for fixed wing flying would be appreciateed. thnx!!!

For your second set of settings, make the changes in FSX and then go to Options/Settings/Save and give the set a name.

Now, you cannot easily chose what .cfg loads at startup, but it is easy enough to switch once FSX is running.

one additional complication for me is i don't use the fsx.exe to start fsx, i use the external fps limiter .exe to start the external limiter and that starts fsx.

This gets you to the FSX setup screen so you can select an aircraft, a location to take off, the weather and time?  You have the one fsx.cfg that loads with full realism for fixed wing ops.  Once you get to the setup screen, click on settings then Save... Save it as "My_Fixed_Wing_Ops".  Now go and customize your settings for reduced realism and sensitivity for rotary wing ops.  Once completed, go back to "Save..." and name it "My_Rotary_Wing_Ops".  Now, whenever FSX starts up, simply go to settings and click on "Load..." and load one of the configs and go fly (don't forget you'll still need to setup the aircraft, location, weather, and time before loading).  I'm pretty sure this will work but I have never tried it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The easiest way normally would be to have cfg files with different filenames, and use the command line switch -CFG: when starting fsx (such as with a shortcut).  Unfortunately, I don't think the fps limiter allows using command line options when it starts fsx so that approach won't work.

scott s.

If the config files have been edited outside of FSX or you need to retain certain settings like LOD etc then a simple batch file might help to easily copy the correct version. I may be getting too involved here so if the options above aren't quite what your looking for or your unsure how to write a batch file just holler :)

This is a PDF I downloaded off the internet from somewhere that shows how to use batch files.

I didn't write it and it may be the document you were refering to that you couldn't find.

Thanks for the replies gents. I'll try JSkorna's and Firehawk44's suggestion first, and see how that works, I'll report back when done (after helping the little ones w/ homework). Thanks again.

ok - I think i followed the instructions correctly: I started FSX normally (using the external FPS limiter shortcut).  At the free flight screen, I went into the settings screen and changed my realism settings, I saved that cfg as My_Rotarywing_Ops.cfg, I repeated the process set my realism settings to high and saved that cfg as My_fixedwings_ops.cfg. 

Unfortunately, the different cfgs are not making a difference. I tried going to settings while flying and loading the other cfg file, but no dice, I also tried loading it after restarting the sim, and the still no dice. 

I did notice that the two config files are being saved to the default location which is //My Documents, should i change that and save them to the location of the main fsx config file?  \Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

If I can get this to work this will be perfect for me. Appreciate the help on this one!!!

Of course you could save yourself some heartache and get Orbx's FSXGo. A wonderful little utility that costs no more than a couple of beers and allows you to have as many cfg profiles as you like for all manner of different flying scenarios.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

WOW! one of the most incredibly helpful threads...Kudos and thanks for all the varied suggestions!

ok - I think i followed the instructions correctly: I started FSX normally (using the external FPS limiter shortcut).  At the free flight screen, I went into the settings screen and changed my realism settings, I saved that cfg as My_Rotarywing_Ops.cfg, I repeated the process set my realism settings to high and saved that cfg as My_fixedwings_ops.cfg. 

Unfortunately, the different cfgs are not making a difference. I tried going to settings while flying and loading the other cfg file, but no dice, I also tried loading it after restarting the sim, and the still no dice. 

I did notice that the two config files are being saved to the default location which is //My Documents, should i change that and save them to the location of the main fsx config file?  \Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

If I can get this to work this will be perfect for me. Appreciate the help on this one!!!

Just wondering, did you tried to compare external fps limiter with internal(fsx)?

It was suggested(by Ryan from PMDG and Word Not Allowed)that internal limiter works much better, and external limiters give stutters

I did notice that the two config files are being saved to the default location which is //My Documents, should i change that and save them to the location of the main fsx config file? \Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

No.  It only changes the items you changed in your config.  The original fsx.cfg remains but these configs temporarily change certain lines in your current configuration.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

ok - i'll do some more experimenting and research tonite to see if i can figure out why the changes are not flowing through.  

Just wondering, did you tried to compare external fps limiter with internal(fsx)?

It was suggested(by Ryan from PMDG and Word Not Allowed)that internal limiter works much better, and external limiters give stutters

I used to use the default FPS limiter and then I heard somewhere the external was the way to go.  I honestly don't remember if one gives me a better experience than the other.  once i get this config thing sorted out i'll run FSX using both FPS limiters and see if one works better for me than the other.

Hello, <br /><br />SimLauncher is free and you can create various profiles. <br /><br />It's available on Avsim and there's a discussion in the P3D forum, it works very in Fsx too. <br /><br />Paul

Paul Dumke

ok - i'll do some more experimenting and research tonite to see if i can figure out why the changes are not flowing through.  

I used to use the default FPS limiter and then I heard somewhere the external was the way to go.  I honestly don't remember if one gives me a better experience than the other.  once i get this config thing sorted out i'll run FSX using both FPS limiters and see if one works better for me than the other.

Ok, becouse you have get answers to your original question here, i recommend you this for the best fsx experience:

- use Nick N. guide for windows 7 tuning and how to install fsx in the right way

- use Word Not Allowed's guide for fsx settings and tuing and hardware guide if you need that

- use Acronis true image 2011 for backup PC/FSX, so you don;t need to do this again

The best combination for me and many others. You need some time to set all that things, but i don't think you will need multiple CFG files after that - becouse of stable performance

BTW, i have tested fps limiters and internal is much smoother. For incredible smoothnest try this:

- Your need 60Hz monitor, check this first 

in nvidia inspector, set Vsync to "1/2 refresh rate"

-set the INTERNAL FSX fps limiter to 30

I didn't belive that fsx can be so smooth before this :)

Cheers