Not sure if there's an i7 3570K. As much as I know, it's only the i7 3770K.

I've got an i5 3570K with an Asus P8Z77 board, and the CM Evo 212 cooler. Set the voltage to 1.285 and managed to overclock it to 4.6 GHz - she's pretty stable so far. Ran FSX with PMDG 737 NGX, ORBX Australia SP4 and REX OD with no probs. Full load using Prime95 brings a peak of 85 degrees celsius, so I'm not going to overclock it more.

I bought an i7 860 3 years ago, overclocked it and ended up turning off the hyperthreading, effectively making it an i5. As far as I have read, hyperthreading makes no difference in FSX or any other game. Hyperthreading makes a extra virtual core on each normal core, effectively making 4 cores into 8 cores. This is the main extra between i7 and i5. As FSX only used 1 core it makes no sense to pay the extra. The chip also runs a lot hotter with hyperthreading enabled so you have to lower the clock speed of any overclock to lower the temp.

I am in the process of building a new computer and have bought an i5 3570K. With the money I saved I was able to go for a better CPU, although I wish I had gone for a i5 2500K as I have heard they overclock better. The i5 3570 has a problem with the cooling. There is a sticky on AVSIM about showing you how to get round this, http://forum.avsim.net/topic/387006-ivy-bridge-pictorial-de-lidding-guide/ but I don't really want to go that far.

This is the main extra between i7 and i5

Not really.. There is some extra cache too

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I too am still using a nearly 4 year old i7 860 and got an upgrade in my sights. I'm planning on getting a Haswell in a month or so, which is something the OP should very seriously consider as mentioned. Just the kick the 860 horse a bit more, it also features a higher turbo bin than the 750 which does give it better OC ratios for memory overclocking. Currently I'm running mine at 3.9Ghz ,no HT, with RAM at 2140 10-10-10-28 T1 (2x4GB samsung sticks@ 1.5v; this sticks are amazing considering they cost me $35).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I have the i7 3770K and and its the best one on the market today.. you can OC it to 4.5Ghz on air very easily without any heat issue.     But I'd wait for the Haswell too.

I am wanting to upgrade my CPU and wondering

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I too am still using a nearly 4 year old i7 860 and got an upgrade in my sights. I'm planning on getting a Haswell in a month or so, which is something the OP should very seriously consider as mentioned. Just the kick the 860 horse a bit more, it also features a higher turbo bin than the 750 which does give it better OC ratios for memory overclocking. Currently I'm running mine at 3.9Ghz ,no HT, with RAM at 2140 10-10-10-28 T1 (2x4GB samsung sticks@ 1.5v; this sticks are amazing considering they cost me $35).

I have the CM Hyper 212 EVO and would highly recommend it. Has outperformed another aftermarket cooler I have costing 3X as much. Its recommended to have 2 heatsink fans in a push-pull arrangement. The 212 EVO only comes with 1.

OK... so here is the million dollar question.  Or I should say $2,500.00 questions.

What would you build if you had $2,500.00 for a FSX dedicated machine?  I am in no rush and plan on pulling the trigger in about a month or two.  Seeing what I have and perhaps only using the case, what would you put the $$ towards to get me up and running with the best using the full 2,500?

Thanks in advance.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

My system now achieves no less than 20 FPS ever with many high level of detail add-ons and virtually highest settings across the board. Massive OC FTW. See system specs for details.

I too am using the hyper 212 evo, clocked @4.8 with prime temps hitting 79/80 - 84 and fsx temps of 67-69 or so, I am in push/pull, but tbh prior to me getting a 2nd fan my temps were the same then as they are now, although I know everyone else advises push pull - saying that I have my hyper mounted horizontally, and when I only had one fan it was on push, and the case I have has a 200mm fan on pull 3-4" above the heatsink, so I guess that was pulling enough out of the hs which is why I don't see any difference, just my opinion.

I too am using the hyper 212 evo, clocked @4.8 with prime temps hitting 79/80 - 84 and fsx temps of 67-69 or so, I am in push/pull, but tbh prior to me getting a 2nd fan my temps were the same then as they are now, although I know everyone else advises push pull - saying that I have my hyper mounted horizontally, and when I only had one fan it was on push, and the case I have has a 200mm fan on pull 3-4" above the heatsink, so I guess that was pulling enough out of the hs which is why I don't see any difference, just my opinion.

You don't see a difference because you haven't de-lidded. My FSX temps are in the 40's and 50's @ 4.9GHz on water, prime/Linpack gets up to about 80 but I have to run 1.5V due to my first run (initial batch) Ivy Bridge.

My system now achieves no less than 20 FPS ever with many high level of detail add-ons and virtually highest settings across the board. Massive OC FTW. See system specs for details.

How can I see your System Specs?  I'm looking for that kind of performance.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

I am wanting to upgrade my CPU and wondering if I could get some input from you more knowledgeable ones to let me know if it would be necessary to upgrade all the other aspects on my PC.

Thinking of (or wanting) the i7 3770K.  Can I just swap this out with my existing motherboard, cooling system and GPU?  Or, do I have to upgrade everything else to benefit?

Here are my current specs.

INTEL I7-960 QC 3.2 8M

Gigabyte X58-UD3R SKT1366 INTEL X58+

EVGA GTXX480 1536MB

INTEL X250M 160G GEN2

VELOCIRAPTOR SATA II 10000RPM 600G

THERMALTAKE TRX 1000M MODULAR PSU

1TB CAVIAR SATA 6 GB/S

12G 6GB KIT 3X2GB 1333MHZ DDR3 (WHAT EVER THIS MEANS?)

MS WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 BIT

COOLMASTER CASE

I welcome your thoughts on an upgrade.  Or even if I can do it gradually.  One piece at a time...

Thanks in advance.

David Bell

Nice saggy Boobies TC :lol:

How can I see your System Specs? I'm looking for that kind of performance.

If you're reading the full version of the site and not the mobile version then you can see my specs under my name by clicking on "system specs" (or something to that effect).

Nice saggy Boobies TC :lol:

Can't help it.  Sitting around flying all day.  :Pig:

If you're reading the full version of the site and not the mobile version then you can see my specs under my name by clicking on "system specs" (or something to that effect).

Got it.  Thanks.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

You don't see a difference because you haven't de-lidded. My FSX temps are in the 40's and 50's @ 4.9GHz on water, prime/Linpack gets up to about 80 but I have to run 1.5V due to my first run (initial batch) Ivy Bridge.

My wife won't let me de-lid until either my warranty is out or my pc is paid for, whichever comes first, so I guess that won't be till next January! :(

I guess at the moment I am happy with that, as I am only flying 6 hours at most, and when not flying my cpu goes down to 1600Mhz and 22deg idle-26 running basic apps/internet etc.

I think 4.8 on these temps is pretty good with 1.328 showing on cpu-z

1.328V at 4.8GHz is pretty good, I need a full 1.5-1.52 for just 4.9GHz. Voltage requirements with Ivy Bridge start to scale pretty heavily past 4.7-4.8GHz.