Sign in to follow this  
HighTowers

Boeing 744 crashes in Afghanistan

This is terrible. 8 apparently lost thier lives. This on the 744 25th anniversary. Quite the safety record.

Load shift is whats thought. Someone didnt put the lock up for the pallets. 

Another article says the Taliban claim responsibility. 

Thoughts go out to the families and the support they will need. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/report-american-747-cargo-jet-171026949.html

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Yeah, I think once the investigation has run it's course the Taliban will have had nothing to do with this, it is just their way of spreading terror in the heart of people.   Very sad news indeed!

Kind regards

A good friend of mine personally witnessed this crash.  It's been a bad week for aviation out here.  Prayers to the families.

Todd

ATP MEL

Commercial SEL

B-747, BE-300, BE-400, DHC8, ERJ 170/190, MU-300

C-17A Globemaster III

My gosh. That is insane. Happened so fast. Clearly that was a stall and not taliban thing. Load shift or severely out of trim. 

Those poor people. Thoughts and prayers indeed. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

What a sad accident, I just saw the video. It just looks so surreal how this big bird falls like a rock, very unbelievable and sad sight. 

I never thought I would watch something like this... Man... RIP for the men inside that plane

Alexis Mefano

What sad,sad news no matter where the theatre of operations. Deepest Condolences to families of all involved at National Air Cargo.

R.I.P.

RIP :( I have read crash reports in the past that mention an aircraft having almost zero forward velocity after an aggressive pitch up and stall, so surreal to actually see it happen.

Fortunately these kind of cargo shifts are extremely rare.

Rob Prest

Indeed, very sad.

It's hard to watch, but there's video on Live Leak showing the crash.

Warning: Not easy to watch knowing people died.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c32_1367332518

That video, wow... Hard to watch, next to no forward velocity at the end... Must have been awful for the crew sitting up front to know there was no way out of this... 

I remember seeing that exact aircraft at work for a while a few years back when it was being painted, hard to believe it's the same one in that video. My Condolences to the families...

Regards,

Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Apparently the crew reported a load shift just prior to the crash. Five or so 20,000 pound military vehicles onboard, maybe some broken tie straps and cleats are the culprit. Very sad to see, and it's unnerving to see an aircraft we know to be so safe in such an attitude. Condolences to the families for an accident that shouldn't have happened.

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

Just caught this. Amazing major news organizations aren't reporting this. The plane looked like it just melted into the ground. Very sad and hard to watch.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2