Sign in to follow this  
Trinco

747 an DX10

Hello Guys,

my 747 ( latest build) work fine with FSX DX10 (latest Patch). But the external Light (Strobe, Beacon and Logo) are heavy in trouble.

The Strobe Light work only in a small angle of View, the Logo and Beacon Light are fully disappear.......so far.

Someone know an solution for that issue?

Thanks a lot

Trinco

Hello Guys,

my 747 ( latest build) work fine with FSX DX10 (latest Patch). But the external Light (Strobe, Beacon and Logo) are heavy in trouble.

The Strobe Light work only in a small angle of View, the Logo and Beacon Light are fully disappear.......so far.

Thanks a lot

Trinco

Hello Guys,

Thanks a lot

Trinco

as far as I know, this is a problem with DX 10. Buggy as hell. 

But some people get higher frame rates with DX10.

Sorry, not very helpful I presume.

Eric

Take a look at: http://forum.avsim.net/fsx_guide.pdf starting at page 17.

Everything worked great except my fsdreamteam airports (except KLAX) don't support DX10. The switch back to DX9 is easy if you followed the suggestions about backing up your directories and files. All in all though, this is not for the faint of heart and you should be pretty sure of yourself before taking this on.

The BEST advice is to save and backup your User\?name?\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX and \AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX directories before starting. I used FSX.DX9 and FSX.DX10 to save everything including subdirectories.

Thanks to SpiritFlyer et al for this great post.

Hi Eric,

What is the source for your claim that DX10 is 'buggy as hell?

I ask because I have recently asked whether DX10 is a realistic advance from DX9, and I have still not decided to migrate.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Richard-

I just did the conversion to DX10 (and back). DX10 was brand new when MS released FSX thus the "preview" notation. The problem has never been DX10, it worked fine and has since been updated to DX11. Almost all new games support DX10 and 11 because of the tesselation which greatly enhances the 3d experience.

If you are really interested in trying DX10 please see my previous post. The guide goes into great detail about DX10 and cleans up a lot of the code and imagery issues overlooked by MS and ACES due to DX10 being so late in the FSX development cycle. The ACES team couldn't meet the RTM dates and completely rewrite FSX to DX10 and the necessary backward functionality.

I found FSX to be very stable after the change to DX10 (following the guide's protocols). The anecdotal short list:

• Improved water using REX HD - at High 2.0 slider setting;
  • No stutters, loss of frame rate or tears in graphics at busy airports;
  • Slight reduction in AI traffic necessary to sustain frame rates, 20% GA and Commercial aircraft and minimum airport ground traffic, no boats or ferries;
  • Great VC cockpit experience in almost all of my aircraft (see My Sim).
  • Excellent weather and cloud graphics using REX - no loss of frame rate.

The only problem I experienced was loss (grayed out) of adjacent scenery at my fsdreamteam airports (Hawaii 1 - 2 and PHNL) at any time of day except daylight ie dawn, dusk or night. They recently updated LAX to version 2.0 which supports DX10 and worked flawlessly in DX10 Preview mode. I spend a lot of time flying Hawaii so I switched back to DX9. The change over was clear and well documented so reverting to DX9 went smoothly.

I really encourage you to take a look at SpiritFlyer's FSX Guide. He included many DX10 references and included some great tweaks by hardcore sim fanatics.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards

Many thanks for your very helpful reply, Rick. I shall try an upgrade to DX10 in the next week or so.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Rick,

I have now implemented most of the DX10 steps. I have much improved scenery but have yet to make a first DX10 flight.

However, although all of my outside views are working wonderfully, my VC gives views that are much closer to the dashboard. Can you suggest how I may un-zoom these views permanently? At present the views are too close to be able to fly.

Any help you can give?

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Hi Richard,

I didn't change the default cockpit views because I wasn't sure I would stay with DX10. What I usually do is set up my cockpit views when I init the aircraft during preflight. I usually leave the Pilot View and the Copilot view alone and just use the space+mouse wheel to zoom in and out as required during flight.

I change the MCP view so that it is centered on the instrument panel and wind screen, zoom into 1.00 and use ctrl+`enter or bkspc to move in and out. if you slide the center observer's seat to it's forward position you can back the view out until the back of the headrest obscures the instrument panel. I think this is a realistic view of the flight deck and is great for monitoring the flight. I usually stay in this view until I'm ready for the approach and then slide into the left seat to complete the flight.

I have the CDU assigned to one of the mode switches on my SAITEK yoke so it is always available for monitoring the flight. I know that you can change the defaults for the VC cockpit views in one of the .CFG files (I can't remember which though).

BTW, I am one hour out of EGLL over the North Sea, on the last leg of a flight from KLAX. I missed one of the step climbs so I am cheating on fuel but it's better than crashing into the North Sea. I'll see you when I land. :P

Rick

Hi Rick,

I'll have the virtual kettle on!

Thanks for your suggestions,

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Hi Rick,

My first on-line flight with DX10, unfortunately, has ended with a BSOD saying that a clock timer of a subsystem had failed. This means nothing to me, so I continued the flight and landed OK at EGLL.

With frame rate fixed at 30, I was achieving between 20 and 30 fps at EGLL with the UK2000 scenery. Airborne, I was achieving a continuous 28-30 fps. So I am very happy now with DX10.

I had tried to get further with the BSOD cause. Ran a full memory diagnostics (7 hrs!) which found nothing amiss. So no further with the causes of the BSOD.

Regards, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Everything worked great except my fsdreamteam airports (except KLAX) don't support DX10. The switch back to DX9 is easy if you followed the suggestions about backing up your directories and files. All in all though, this is not for the faint of heart and you should be pretty sure of yourself before taking this on.

To clarify, the only files that are changed when you install Steve's DX10 Fix are DX10 directories.  This fix does fix most of the anomalies found in Microsoft's version of DX10 they developed for Acceleration.  It does not touch any DX9 file whatsoever.  You can go from DX9 to DX10 and back to DX9 anytime you want without changing anything.  Your same FSX settings for DX9 will work in DX10 and so will your display driver settings. The only folder that should be backed up is the General folder located under the FSX\ShadersHLSL directory and the only file in that folder that is changed is General10.fx (so you really only need to backup this file!).  The General10.fx belongs to DX10 only and has nothing to do with FSX DX9 (note the 10 at the end of General). 

Best regards,

Jim Young

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim!

Where do I find the current version of the instructions re General10.fx changes?

Regards, Richard

Cheers, Richard