Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim Strenk

Customer Research for Developers - Take Note

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Alright, since there are NUMEROUS threads and opinions on software ACTIVATION etc. I propose the following questions and hope DEVELOPERS and CUSTOMERS will take note:1. If software had NO COPY PROTECTION and offered you value would you purchase it?2. Have you purchased software after trying a pirated version?3. Have you been aggravated for purchasing software that turned out to be a total flop and then frustrated that there was no refund?4. Have you tried pirated software that was garbage and GLAD you didn't purchase it and discarded or stored it away?5. Do you REALLY believe that ANY copy protection helps companies sell software?I will be the first in line to answer and hope EVERYONE comes in with answers and opinions.1. Yes & will continue to2. Without question3. Absolutely frustrating4. Very much so happy5. NEVER in our lifetimeOk that should cover a wide range of beliefs.

Guest SoarPics

1. Absolutely2. Never tried software that was pirated3. Haven't we all?4. See #25. Nope... does just the opposite. Folks don't want any software developer intruding in their privacy (hear that MS?).

Guest JonP01

1. Yes.2. Never. Using a pirated version means you do not have a legal licence to use the software.3. No. I've never bought a complete dud.4. Not applicable.5. No.

Guest Ian Ritchie

YesNoYes NoYes

1. WITHOUT QUESTION - those who make great things deserve to be rewarded... a la FSUIPC - go dowson (but too bad you have to get us to pay, rather than the payware makers)2. I have, and I will again... anything that I keep, by virtue I pay for.3. Yes, and I won't say who... but I've been pretty disappointed back in the payware piracy of freeware getting planes that were stolen from here (avsim) and having to pay for them.4. I can think of one or two quite readily, but would never discuss it in a public forum, and have since departed from the payware scene other than "necessary" (PIC767 which I paid for sight unseen - after the saab 340's) add-ons just because of that fact.5. I would more readily buy software from a company that had little or no payware protection, and I refuse to buy payware from companies which track my IP address or any other internet anti-piracy scheme for their intrusion of my privacy; whatever they use my information for, its my information, not theirs. My choice is to not purchase their software, and as a result, I don't purchase their software. I would say simflyers, just because they made Toronto (my home and native town), I am partial to. I hope that honour among us (even pirates) exists.regards to all...and I hope people do answer this, it is most interesting

1. Yes of course!2. Yes ages ago. Got Winzip about 4 yrs ago. Downloaded a crack! Then ended up buying it a few weeks later3. Yes the 717 from Perfect Flight but I did get a refund after 2 weeks of fighting with them.4. Not that I can remember5. Not at all

Guest Jim Strenk

1) I'd purchase it. However, there are many among us that wouldn't.2) No, never have.3) I've been very lucky. I've never had such a situation take place.4) I've downloaded trial versions or shareware versions of software. Those that "make the grade" get purchased, the rest get deleted from my system and any media it resides on gets destroyed and thrown out with the garbage.5) No, did doesn't HELP companies SELL software, it PROTECTS their right to earn revenue.If I were to develope an aircraft or MSFS add-on, I have one of two choices. Either donate my time by releasing Freeware/Shareware or, expect everyone that has possesion of my work to PAY for it. If I were to do the latter, I'd have every protection scheme known in place if I had to, to insure I get PAID for my work.I'd expect a paycheck at the end of each week whether I was a plumber, auto mechanic, bank teller, grocer. Why not as a software developer?If your willing not to get paid for your work-product, take-off the software protection and just give it away. If on the otherhand, you do expect to recieve re-numeration for your work-product, then it stands to reason that every effort would be made to insure you've gotten paid for your work. That would include software protection if needed.