Sign in to follow this  
1Wolf

Autogen versus MegaScenery?

Found it.  Thanks.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

This might be a little (very little I think) off topic but take a look at my comments and screenies here. Actually my friend Bill C's work

For me, the action of pausing the sim after take-off, then accessing the scenery library, then ticking/unticking the selection, then waiting for the subsequent terrain re-load, would ruin the immersion of flight simulation.

But each to their own. If some like the above idea, good on them.

Exactly!! :P   And I found the flat scenery of photoreal really off putting until higher above it, and I'm a big fan of photoreal.  This works for Bill and me :-)  As you say, to each his own.

Now that I'm migrating over to as much photoscenery as I can I've turned off autogen completely, and to be honest most of the time, I don't miss it.

Now that I'm migrating over to as much photoscenery as I can I've turned off autogen completely, and to be honest most of the time, I don't miss it.

Wow.  I love photoreal but I absolutely hate landing on utter flatness on takeoff and landing.  Also, city skylines gone.  Like I've said elsewhere, I prefer to have photoreal for deserts and areas that I tend to fly over (Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, some California)  If I could clear out the photoreal in just an area around my departure and destination airports I'd be happy as a clam.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Wow.  I love photoreal but I absolutely hate landing on utter flatness on takeoff and landing.  Also, city skylines gone.  Like I've said elsewhere, I prefer to have photoreal for deserts and areas that I tend to fly over (Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, some California)  If I could clear out the photoreal in just an area around my departure and destination airports I'd be happy as a clam.

I have a bit of a dislike for flatness but it's a trade off - I only tend to fly in and out of payware airports so you more often than not get a little bit of surrounding area with 3d objects to give you a convincing skyline whilst moving around the airport. Autogen just doesn't work laid over the top of photoreal in a lot of cases, in my opinion. Don't forget you still get 3d objects that aren't autogen.

I have a bit of a dislike for flatness but it's a trade off - I only tend to fly in and out of payware airports so you more often than not get a little bit of surrounding area with 3d objects to give you a convincing skyline whilst moving around the airport.

I share others INTENSE dislike for the flatness down low.  It's all well and good to talk about payware airports, but if you fly GA and not tubes into major hubs, it's tough to find many of those, or even good freeware with a few trees and buildings to fill in the moonscape.  My routes in my photoscenery areas are very limited, due to this.

I like Gregg's idea of selectively disabling the tile around the airport, which can work fairly well for Blue Sky's well documented tiles, but I wish I don't have much info on Megascenery V2 as to which tile covers what area.

Scott

I like Gregg's idea of selectively disabling the tile around the airport, which can work fairly well for Blue Sky's well documented tiles, but I wish I don't have much info on Megascenery V2 as to which tile covers what area.

Seems like megascenery needs a tool... :Praying:

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I love photoreal but I absolutely hate landing on utter flatness on takeoff and landing. Also, city skylines gone.

I'm personally not seeing this.  I guess I'm the only one who has MSE V2 who sees elevations on landing and a skyline with buildings and autogen is turned off.  I'm mainly talking about FSDT JFK, KORD, and I have Missouri and Illinois and I see a skyline and buildings around KSTL.  I've written before about Epply Field in Omaha where you can definitely see the bluffs over Council Bluffs, Iowa as you land all the way down to the runway.  That's with the Iowa MSE installed.  It does not cover up the addon cities created my the Aces Team in FSX Deluxe and Acceleration. My two-cents...

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Really don't I see much benefit to autogen visually as it looks out of place and his fake, but some will not fly unless the Autogen is turned on.  I know the people like Autogen will never change their views on it.  Myself the flatness factor really does not bother me once above 1500 agl midwest region looks way better in photoreal than default textures.  I can spiffy up rural airstrips with scenery objects and freeware and payware. Know how to make basic objects in 3d programs to help with immersion.  

Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin looks awesome at photoreal above 2000 agl know which farm house and windmills, lakes, parked tractors, combines to follow the next town over. 

Sure hills and bluffs are still hills and bluffs, but Jim, take a look at Dan's link and the comparison images he made and you'll see exactly what we're talking about.  Or fly out of a smaller midwest airport which should be surrounded by trees.  Sure, if you're flying from payware airport to payware airport, where there are scenery objects (often including foliage, which is a big part of what's missing for me - again, see Dan's images) things look fine.  But as a primarily GA pilot not going into larger payware airports, the moonscapes the world turns into down low are are an issue for me.

Scott

I mentioned this a long time ago but I flew into Monterey Peninsula airport one day on MSE 1.0.  What a dreadfully dreary experience.  No trees...a couple of junk buildings.  I pulled it up on Google Earth and just stared at it.  It's beautiful.  I thought "Wow, if I could fly into that..."  I have MSE 2 South Carolina and I flew into Myrtle Beach...same experience.  I bought NC but never even installed it.

If this ever gets solved they'll probably sell me most of the US.

Gregg Seipp

I have MSE 2 South Carolina and I flew into Myrtle Beach...same experience. I bought NC but never even installed it.

If this ever gets solved they'll probably sell me most of the US.

Ditto!  I bought MSE V2 Illinois and enjoy it quite a bit, because... I have Flytampa's KMDW, and CitiesX Chicago, which adds some enhanced airports, and other scenery objects so I have a number of airports in Chicagoland that I can go in or out of.  And of course, once in the air and at altitude, it's quite nice.  At the other end, though, I usually try to plan a flight from or to just outside the state.  I tried to do a short flight from Kankakee up to one of the Chicago fields the other day and, well...  yeah - dreary.

I've got a lot of photoscenery.  Blue Sky, Megascenery X, Earth V1 and now V2, so it's NOT that I don't like it or recognize its strengths.

Scott

This might be a little (very little I think) off topic but take a look at my comments and screenies here.  Actually my friend Bill C's work

Thats an absolutely terrific idea!  Thanks for posting that link!  I realize that it may ruin the immersion of some to have to pause it to set this up, but it doesn't bother me in the least.  I'd never even though to try it.  I usually end up having to pause it to take care of bodily functions or get coffee anyway so it doesn't bother me at all.

I'll give this a try.

Scott

Good idea.  MSEv2 includes so much extra "Stuff" with it like sectionals and plates, they also don't seem to hesitate to post here to help a customer or answer an e-mail.  Maybe they wouldn't mind including a "map" with all the "extra stuff" that is similar to what BlueSkyScenery does..and indicate which files are for which areas.  Maybe it wouldn't be that big a deal to create and we should all throw them a quick e-mail?

Or fly out of a smaller midwest airport which should be surrounded by trees. Sure, if you're flying from payware airport to payware airport,

Yes, I can understand your plight.  I saw the same thing flying into/out of my former Nebraska hometown of @20,000.  But again, around larger cities and the routes I fly, I am satisfied.  For instance, I fly out of KORD to KSTL and really enjoy the takeoff, landings and the enroute scenery in an aircraft like the PMDG737NGX.  The product is definitely not for everyone.  It is pretty ugly at rural airports until you get up to about 1500 feet. But, for the few, like me, it's great stuff!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10