Sign in to follow this  
lcole98296

Possible Fix (?) For Low FPS and/or Stuttering In FSX

This probably won't work if you have all your PC settings at default. I thought mine were, but just checked the size of my pagefile. To my surprise, it was set for a CUSTOM size of 1024 MB, which is way too low for my 8 GB system. I changed the setting from "Custom size" to "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives". Now, it says my pagefile is set at 8192 MB. What a huge difference. I'd set my FSX up to Word Not Allowed's recommendations, but was still getting stutters, and FSX was struggling to maintain the 30 FPS locked target frame rate. Now, it's smooth as silk, and once I get out of downtown Seattle (default start is Boeing Field), FPS consistently stays up around 30. To check the size of your pagefile (I have WIN 7 - 64), go to Control Panel/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced, and then select "Settings" in the "Performance" field. Then click on "Advanced", and in the "Virtual Memory" field, select "Change". Note what it says is currently allocated. If it's not checked, place a checkmark in "Automatically manage paging file for all drives". Then "OK" & reboot. Come back to "Virtual Memory" and hopefully, if yours was set too low, it'll be at a more reasonable size. P.S. Re: the above referenced "Word Not Allowed" recommendations, the only difference I have compared to what he recommends is that I am not using "Bufferpools". He says that if you use his recommendation (poolsize=0) then you must have your water effects set at High 2.x or higher. That high of a setting slows down everything by several FPS for me, so while I placed the setting in my fsx.cfg, I have it "commented" out by placing 2 slashes (//) in front of both lines referencing bufferpools. P.P.S. If you have the Bjote tweaks in your fsx.cfg, try Word Not Allowed's instead. Save your fsx.cfg as another name, such as fsx.org.cfg. Then, with no fsx.cfg in your Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX folder. run FSX. A new, bare-bones fsg.cfg will be created. Use this one to add Word Not Allowed's tweaks. You might be surprised how much better FlightsimX runs.<br /><br />Intel I7 3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz overclocked to 3.9 GHz. Radeon HD 6850 graphics card moderately overclocked. 8 GB RAM. Windows 7 - 64 Home

That's strange your pagefile setting was set to a custom size of 1024.  The default is what you changed it to (automatically manage paging files on all drives).  I personally ran into problems with this setting and changed mine to System Managed Size and that fixed the problem I was having (cannot recall but believe my sim was freezing in flight).  I do not know the difference between the two as both are managed by the system.

AVSIM has a nice Software and Hardware Guide too on tweaks and settings.  It's pinned at the top of this forum. 

Be careful with some of Bojote's tweaks/auto configurations.  Systems are more powerful now and the OS has changed a little since he set up those configurations. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim. I have no idea how my pagefile got set to 1024.

I don't know the difference between automatic & system managed either. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Re: Bjote, my system is running much better since I discarded his changes & went to Word Not Allowed's.

By the way, when I originally posted this, I had included a link to Word Not Allowed's recommendations. AVSIM would not allow it, saying something like that link was not allowable. My post would not go online till I deleted the link. What's up with that?

Out or curiosity I checked my settings.  Mine has "automatically manage paging..."

In order for me to fly in the KSEA area with any success I have to turn down autogen and scenery density and sometime shut off all traffic to get 15-20 fps.  All rural areas and mid range airports I get my 30 fps locked most of the time.

Can someone tell me what the difference would be to change my virtual memory from automatic to system managed size?

My Total paging sife size for all drives currently reads:

Min allowed: 16 MB
Recommended: 18418 MB
Currently allocated" 12279 MB

My computer specs are listed in side bar under my signature.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

fltsimguy,

There's no problem with your setup. It's just that KSEA is an extremely dense scenery area, and no one, even with a top-of-the-line computer, is going to get maximum FPS in that area.
Note that in my previous post, I said that, "once I get out of downtown Seattle, FPS consistently stays up around 30".
This bothered me for a long time, as I live in the Seattle area and want to fly out of here. I couldn't understand why everyone else claimed to have such great FPS, but mine was so slow. Then I realized you can't judge your computer's abilities based on the FPS you see on the runway or in the air near Seattle.
Flying in a more unpopulated area will give you a more accurate feel as to what your PC can do.
Myself? Sitting on Rwy 31L at Boeing Field, my FPS pretty much hovers between 14 and 24 frames per second. 

i can explain the best way to set up your page file but not on this mini tablet... basically custom when set up correctly is the best long term solution system managed degrades over time unless you have huge fast hard drives with at least 50pc free space at all times... it was actually my job back in the day to fly around the uk and setup.. service customers pcs with the page file setup 2nd on list (first kf customers wouldn't pay for more ram) <br /><br />Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

i can explain the best way to set up your page file but not on this mini tablet... basically custom when set up correctly is the best long term solution system managed degrades over time unless you have huge fast hard drives with at least 50pc free space at all times... it was actually my job back in the day to fly around the uk and setup.. service customers pcs with the page file setup 2nd on list (first kf customers wouldn't pay for more ram)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

simple to do list

1 delete all page file options make NO page file on any drive the default

2 reboot

3 defrag all drives and be patient :)

4 reboot

5 set up 1 or 2 cuztom page files on each drive you have OTHER than ths system drive

... if you only have one drive buy another :)

6 make custom page file/s size equal to amount of physical ram u have in system.. on each extra drive

7.... reboot again

.you now have a rock solid page file setup that will not degrade over time when your hd gets fragmented and full of junk because you custom pfs will take up contiguous permanent allocated reserved space on the drives... you can confirm this visually if you defrag the drives BEFORE and after the those instructions... look for the nice big solid chunk of immovable system file you just created

:)

hope this helps it was from the tablet.. phew (mini tab)

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Is there any reason these days to run a page file at all with 64-bit windows and over 4gb of mem?

I have 12gb and have paging disabled entirely.  Never yet had a problem.

Ian R Tyldesley

Is there any reason these days to run a page file at all with 64-bit windows and over 4gb of mem?

I have 12gb and have paging disabled entirely.  Never yet had a problem.

if you diligently only run one app at a time once you get past 8gb you usually dont need one.. well not for fsx... but then again check your scenery library :)

also some apps wont run if they don't detect a pf even if you have tons of ram

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

if you diligently only run one app at a time once you get past 8gb you usually dont need one.. well not for fsx... but then again check your scenery library :)

also some apps wont run if they don't detect a pf even if you have tons of ram

Well i run fsx (can only see 4gb anyway) VLC media player, usually run Chrome, FSCommander Active Sky, FSCaptain; i've never even seen my physical memory usage go above 60%.

The only app i have come across that required a page file was Guitar Hero 3.

Ian R Tyldesley

logic is IF you have created a custom page file correctly then your system will not suffer from having it and will never slow down.. <br />whereas <br />IF you do NOT have a of OR have a system managed one your system will undoubtedly or will potentially slow down as time passes <br /><br />Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

By default pagefile is set to "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" in windows 7 64bit. 

I recommend Word Not Allowed's guide too, and Nick N. guide for windows 7 tuning and FSX instalation

I am not disputing what you have written but this is an article on technet:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889654

From the above: "When lots of memory is added to a computer, a paging file may not be required."

Also you should never defrag an SSD, if that is what the chap above is using for a drive.  They required for a system dump in the event of a BSOD.  A far simpler solution is not to have BSOD's of course.

Ian R Tyldesley

The average user is best served by LEAVING THE PAGE FILE ALONE. Windows 7 does an excellent job of managing the page file settings for most people.

Eliminate it and the main danger is that if you do run out of memory, your system will crash.
Ordinarily, your system would slow dramatically as it pages to the swap file, at which point you will notice something is wrong.
With no pagefile, it will crash with warning.

However with 8GB, you have much less chance of that happening (running games etc) unless you get a bad memory leak from an app or program.
They would have to be 64bit though due to the 2GB 32 bit standard restriction or have multiple 32 bit apps leak (not very likely).

If you are running memory intensive apps that can use 8GB+, you shouldnt disable the pagefile.