Sign in to follow this  
Sunaru

Would any AVSIMmer recommend any of these planes?

I got both the BN2 Islander and the ERJv2 from PC Aviator as downloads for $20 each. They go on sale from time to time. For that price they are an excellent value.

The Islander is very easy to fly, and can do STOL get in and out of most places unless you need really high performance. The GPS is quite primitive but I'm sure you can add a newer GPS if you don't like the KLN90A. I like the GPS though, I'm amazed what could be done with a small CRT display.

The ERJ is also very good and has a full featured FMC. As others have said they both look a bit dated but overall are very well done.

My fingers are crossed that the Aerosoft DA CRJ7 will get finished and we'll have another great regional jet in FSX.

Barry Friedman

I read the thread (and some other information) about the upcoming CRJ. I'll probably hold off on the CRJ family until it releases, thus taking the CRJ out of my list of options. My question (as someone reasonably new to the FS scene) stands though: Isn't low altitude/VFR flying much more FPS intensive than commercial aviation? You need the detail in the scenery, the water, the airports, the terrain, ... to make it fun, but doesn't that in turn cause a much lower frame rate? I mean, when I look at videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5_QGbhpOW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0zSEXXai3U

I wonder if I can even handle that kind of detail on my computer...

That qualm/concern/worry is the only thing keeping me from buying the BN-2 Islander at this point. It seems fun to island-hop like that, but I'd need to hear if I can actually run it at that detail...

islander is the best from that list.

But If you like regional aircrafts, i would highly recommend new Majestic Q400. It may be the best aircraft ever for desktop simulation

The Islander is very good on FPS. Your AI traffic and autogen should be generally lower than dense urban areas, so that will help, and you can adjust the water rendering. Low 2.x should be fine. I also use REX Ess+OD clouds but I use the 1024 textures which looks good without killing FPS. I also have some FlyTampa sceneries and they look great but also perform well.

@@Sunaru One other thing, it looks like you haven't OC'ed your processor. You could get at least another 1Ghz per core which would make a big difference.

Edit: Sorry I looked again and it looks like your CPU is not a K-series, so OC may not be possible.

Barry Friedman

Isn't low altitude/VFR flying much more FPS intensive than commercial aviation? You need the detail in the scenery, the water, the airports, the terrain, ... to make it fun, but doesn't that in

That qualm/concern/worry is the only thing keeping me from buying the BN-2 Islander at this point. It seems fun to island-hop like that, but I'd need to hear if I can actually run it at that detail...

Big cities are way more difficult to handle than little islands... ^_^

Try it in the default Maule or Baron as a test..

Bert

I love my ERJ 135/145 V2 planes.

They are, true, a little older, but they still look great. There are HD exterior paints for them that look better than some new aircraft released now.

They are fun, regional planes to fly.

One other thing, it looks like you haven't OC'ed your processor. You could get at least another 1Ghz per core which would make a big difference.

Yeah, I checked some tech-head forums, they all said the 2600 doesn't lend itself to OC'ing, you'd get 0,2 GHz more at best; a thing I didn't realize when I bought it.

i would highly recommend new Majestic Q400. It may be the best aircraft ever for desktop simulation

I already have it, edited my first post to reflect that. But thank you for the suggestion anyway! 

Big cities are way more difficult to handle than little islands... ^_^

Try it in the default Maule or Baron as a test..

That sounds like a plan, I think I'll do that. 

Olli: I can live with decent scenery at a decent FPS. It's a shame we still have to compromise though in this day and age...

William: Yes, I think that if I were to stick with jets, the ERJ would seem to be the best choice out of the list (until the CRJ releases). 

Again, thank you all for weighing in so far!  :lol:

No flight simmer worth his salt should be without the Islander. -_-

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Get the Islander. The plane is 1-of-a-kind and Flight1 one has outstanding support.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

No flight simmer worth his salt should be without the Islander. -_-

Oh noes I'm not worth my salt!  Eeek!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oh noes I'm not worth my salt!  Eeek!

No salt for you then. :mad:

No salt for you then. :mad:

None for me either then, but I've spent enough over the last couple of weeks. I'll have to put the islander on my list.

It's bad for your health not to have salt. Put more on your fries.

This is getting silly. :rolleyes:

+1 for the Islander. It's great for sightseeing, it's got STOL performance, It even has cockpit shake effects!

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg