Sign in to follow this  
Samaritano

AS 2012 SP2 Clouds

Yep: I run 3840 x 1024, using 3 x 19" Viewsonics; the 580 will hold the 30 frames ok, but she will dip to 26 or so with Vancouver, Los Angeles, New York and London. Normally (using GPU-Z) the 580 will run at 74 - 82% load, at about 78C. and 900 - 1100 MB memory usage

If I'm making a video, I use windowed mode at 1900 x 1080, and it flies. I use a different config for tubeliners, too. I find you have to compromise many times, because of different aircraft, different places and countries, night, lights, plus trying out new things. It's all a compromise. Les Hesley has 2 x GTX 580's feeding 3 x 27" monitors for 5750 x 1280, and that setup works fine too. 

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

@Paul J - After going to the FANCON in Wichita and seeing some amazing cockpit setups, I'm convinced that setting up 3 monitors to run FSX is the best of all and that is going to happen.  The only decision I have left is the size of each monitor.  The three 19" monitors (believe they were 19 inches) were nice but I think I can power 25 inch plus monitors.  I would like to setup three 30 inch monitors but think that's over doing it (plus an unnecessary expense).  My 30 inch monitor is starting to show a lot of age.  I'm also going for the Haswell upgrade in a couple of months to make you really jealous... LOL!

I went ahead and changed my clouds settings in AS2012 from 2048 to 1024 and from DXT5 compressed to 32 Bit (HD) and so far it is working. So the problem was one of textures and not clouds that look like boxes. That was my bad trying to describe the problem.

Glad you have things working again!  The fact you had DXT5 textures setup in AS2012 instead of ticking 32 bit (HD) was probably the major change that fixed your problem.  My setup (as I recommended in my post above) provides me with some outstanding HD clouds without stressing my system.  I once had texture_max_load at 4096 and 4096 in AS2012 and that worked for a while but I could see fps plummeting a lot in heavy weather plus I got an occasional OOM.  All is well now.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm convinced that setting up 3 monitors to run FSX is the best of all and that is going to happen.  The only decision I have left is the size of each monitor.  The three 19" monitors (believe they were 19 inches) were nice but I think I can power 25 inch plus monitors.

:lol: What took you so long?  :LMAO:

Yeah - you're right, Jim - I have the TH2G and 3 x 19", but if I had my druthers -  I think I would like the 24 or 25" monitors - more for the height, than anything. - The same with throttles, sticks and switches. It's a hobby that lasts for years, so you might as well "do it the right way". Slightly joking, of course, as I can't see Dorothy letting me take down a wall, and doing a bit of excavation to get an MD-80 nose in the basement.... but I do like the dedicated PC and all that goes with it - even if it does cost an arm and a couple of legs - it's the same with Golf, or sailing, or any other decent hobby. It was the same with R/C - get a six-channel and a good engine, with a decent trainer - and join a club, and be taught how to fly. It's almost not possible to do it on your own, and it's a good reason to belong to a forum such as Avsim. There are so many folks here that really know what they're talking about. It just makes getting a reasonable "FSX Experience" all so easy - (especially DX10)!

I learned a new tip over on the Orbx forum, a few minutes ago - about the Windows default graphics settings. Take a peep. Interesting. Anyway - gotta go, 

Talk at ya later,

All the Best,

peej   :biggrin:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I learned a new tip over on the Orbx forum, a few minutes ago - about the Windows default graphics settings. Take a peep. Interesting. Anyway - gotta go,

Looks like a nice tip.  Not excited about the Page File settings but the rest looks okay (FSX can use just so much memory depending on OS configuration).  I'll have to give the tip a try.  Thanks for the HU! 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I thought that, too!  How strange, and not at all how to size the page file - or where to put it. Why on earth waste 25-gig on a system that barely uses one gig?? He's attempting to stop OOM's. maybe?

Oh well, to each his own..   :wink: