Sign in to follow this  
alandc10

TSS - Total game changer

Firstly WOW, I bought Turbine sound studios HD PW sound pack and its brought a whole new life to the mighty PMDG MD11. For the tiny cost (£10 or so) its well worth the money, couple that with my quality Harman Kardon sound setup and its unreal. I find myself doing engine starts over and over. lol.

Well worth a buy

Alan

Firstly WOW, I bought Turbine sound studios HD PW sound pack and its brought a whole new life to the mighty PMDG MD11. For the tiny cost (£10 or so) its well worth the money, couple that with my quality Harman Kardon sound setup and its unreal. I find myself doing engine starts over and over. lol.

Well worth a buy

Alan

As a recent purchaser of the MD11 I had seen the sound upgrade and wondered if it would be any good, saw your comments and purchased it, excellent sounds, even better when the wife goes out :lol:

Well worth a buy

Alan

Keen to buy a dew of these soundsets. Thanks for the pointer. How did you replace the default sounds that came with say the PMDG MD-11? Just replaced the sounds folder. or is it a bit more complicated than than?

I use it too...   (and most after market TSS packs).

Just replace the Sound folder.    All of the custom sounds that come with the PMDG aircraft are in different directories, so replacing the 'sound' folder won't affect or delete them.    You're just replacing the core sounds (engine, flaps, wind, touchdown, ground roll, etc, etc) that come with the TSS pack.

Hi Dave

Thanks for that. So, is it just a matter of replacing the Sound folder for a particular aircraft thus path C:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG MD-11...........et al?

Yeah, those TSS soundsets are awesome. Did they not do the soundsets for the LDS a long while back? I think that is where I first heard of them.

I bought that same TSS PW4060 pack right after release as well Alan.  My subwoofer realllllly likes it.  One of the PMDG MD-11 advisors, I believe his name is Markus, posted that he didn't think the cockpit engine sounds were realistic.  I've flown on many MD-11's (of course never in the cockpit) so I wouldn't know for sure, but the sounds TSS pumps out from the flight deck are killer cool, real or not.

Chris Sunseri

Interesting, but this TSS soundset is for the PW engine right?

I can see that TSS has an older soundset for the GE engine, but i am unsure of the quality. Anyone have this? 

Another hindrance to buying a TSS soundset or any soundset is possible loss of realism in the cockpit.

One of the PMDG MD-11 advisors, I believe his name is Markus, posted that he didn't think the cockpit engine sounds were realistic.

Yes it was me, I hate to spoil the party. But indeed, these TSS sounds for the MD-11 are NOT realistic at all regarding the flight deck sounds. The outside view sound is very good, but what you hear in the flight deck is really bad. Their sounds were not recorded on the flight deck, ours were. So theirs can't possibly be realistic.

Armen and I spent hundreds of hours to make the sounds as close to the real aircraft as possible, we went down to the level of adjusting the pack flow volume depending on how many of the three are running.

The MD11 cockpit sounds of TSS may be what you think sounds cool, that's fine, but they are NOT real. I don't want to judge other aircraft types TSS did, but their MD-11 package is not at all worth the money if you bought the PMDG MD-11, as you already have a perfect sound package.

If you want to get the maximum out of your speaker system or subwoofer, go buy the Spitfire from A2A / AccuSim, now THAT is a powerful and beautiful engine sound to stress your audio system! Try the engine start with the old explosive cartridge starter :)

Cheers,

Markus

Markus Burkhard

Yes it was me, I hate to spoil the party. But indeed, these TSS sounds for the MD-11 are NOT realistic at all regarding the flight deck sounds. The outside view sound is very good, but what you hear in the flight deck is really bad. Their sounds were not recorded on the flight deck, ours were. So theirs can't possibly be realistic.

Armen and I spent hundreds of hours to make the sounds as close to the real aircraft as possible, we went down to the level of adjusting the pack flow volume depending on how many of the three are running.

The MD11 cockpit sounds of TSS may be what you think sounds cool, that's fine, but they are NOT real. I don't want to judge other aircraft types TSS did, but their MD-11 package is not at all worth the money if you bought the PMDG MD-11, as you already have a perfect sound package.

If you want to get the maximum out of your speaker system or subwoofer, go buy the Spitfire from A2A / AccuSim, now THAT is a powerful and beautiful engine sound to stress your audio system! Try the engine start with the old explosive cartridge starter :)

Cheers,

Markus

Thanks, issue closed for my part.

Thanks for the info Markus.  If it's any consolation, my MD-11 fleet with GE's still have pure PMDG sounds.  I don't have the A2A Spitfire, but I can imagine with that old bird if the sounds are anywhere near the quality of screeshots I've seen, no doubt they are top notch.

Chris Sunseri

Thanks Markus for that more or less detailed synopsis. The CC can go back in the wallet now, for the PMDG MD-11, at least. As I fly mainly from the cockpit, rather than external sounds and views, I'll stick with what you and Armen produced.

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. When I bought the MD-11 back in 2010 i think, I also found the TSS sound pack online and bought it straight away....thought it was cool and I think I made a similar post on this forum, one of the PMDG staff also advised me that the sounds were not accurate and that the sounds in the PMDG MD-11 cockpit were correct.

I have recently bought a new gaming PC and still fly the MD-11 and no longer have the TSS sound pack, I'm not sure what I was thinking before, but the sounds that PMDG have recorded are amazing! Particularly during engine start, I get a very nice deep basey rumble as N2 builds! Absolutely love it, and also the sounds during the cruise, what sounds like the wind over the fuselage is much more enjoyable than hearing the TSS sounds constantly adjusting the engine speed. So I say, great work PMDG! Again, just my two cents. Blue skies to all and bring on the 777!