Sign in to follow this  
sloppysmusic

Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & NGX/MD-11 Problems

Hi,

is anyone else using the saitek trim wheel with PMDG planes? I got mine couple days ago and went through test flights/fsuipc config with all the planes in my hanger, all performing beautifully until my favorite tow i saved for last :/

the trim wheel is configured as ELEVATOR TRIM in FSUIPC - so normal behavior is same as real aircraft trim - ie forward/up is trim down and down/back is trim up.

Every aircraft except PMDG works perfectly

747 and J41 work perfectly (older planes?)  - in fact I was so overjoyed i posted my satisfaction with the J41/wheel combo - a real joy to manual fly.

747 didnt fly but tested fine in cockpit

MD-11 - ALL wheel movements up or down resulted in only trim UP being sent to plane....so therefore unflappable without nosediving - tried reverse axis and still pitched forward only...

737 NGX - same behavior as MD-11 :/

are these newer planes programmed differently than the old ones in such a way as would cause this behavior? Before I start wrecking my well setup FSUIPC config it would be great of someone could just say

"you have to do THIS for it to work"

:D

as ive seen the 737 in countless home cockpit setups I know it interfaces with hardware correctly, any reason wny not the new Saitek Wheel?

...cant fly my fave two jets now until i solve this as the trim wheel is staring at me asking to be used! (and there's no going back once youve flown with it,,,,)

btw i got the AXE last week and it works fine with that and all REALAIR planes too

Thanks for the knowledgeable answers/solutions i am sure i am about to receive!

RG

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/72631-ngx-trimwheel/<br />i found this thread which confirms the ngx trim axis is handled differently although i didnt<br />really understand the solution.. although will try ELEVATOR TRIM SET to see if that makes it work.. <br /><br />Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

I dont get the blank response unless this is in the wrong forum or im being a complete dunce...i can no longer fly my two favorite aircraft the 737 and md11 as my (very realistic i believe)

saitek trim wheel will not work in them...this is a major issue for me as i noticed this big black spinny wheel thing down by my right hand in the cockpit that went SWISH SWISH during autopilot

and when i pressed the up and down trim buttons on my joystick so i naturally wanted to buy one for myself and feel the reality..in the PMDG tutorials they actually mention how many times the 737's trim wheel goes round in real life to attain pin point pilot elevator trim so why doesnt my Saitek trim wheel that goes round NINE times work perfectly like it does in every other plane except this one and the MD11, PMDG's latest 2 planes...I can absolutely cross the 777 off my MUST GET list onto the avoid list if someone can tell me it also does not allow use of a hardware trim wheel.

I read PMDG said (but its hearsay so sorry if not true) that it was more accurate to trim the 737 with buttons....why is this?? does the real 737 captain have digital 0/1 buttons on his yoke that

control the massive trim wheel by his right hand electronically? Does he use a PC keyboard for up and down with key mashing or REPEAT enabled? Or does he hover his mouse (!) over the 

trim wheel for 'realistic' trim control.

Once again if im doing something very wrong please let me know...i miss my FAVORITE two planes....and a third in the future :(

at the very least could someone tell me if I can use it for the V/S wheel? Would look bloody silly but that would be useful as the mouse dont cut it for me there either....

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0312/Saitek/Saitek.html

The Pro Flight Cessna Trim Wheel just might be the sleeper in the bunch.  This is a seriously nice instrument.  If I didn’t know better, I would take it as a real world equivalent.  This adds so much to the simulation with 9 full rotations (4 ½ in either direction) making it extremely accurate.

T_Pg_6a.jpg T_Pg_6b.jpg This one looks and feels like it was taken directly from a Cessna Skyhawk or Skylane parts department.

The sensitivity and null adjustments can be made on the fly in FSX. Some planes react differently, so if the fine tuning is a little jumpy try lowering the sensitivity and increasing the null values.  There is a sweet spot to be found.

There is absolutely no comparison to the click up and click down presses on a typical joystick or keyboard.  This is one of the pieces the simulator tube drivers should appreciate.  I think many, if not most, flight simulator pilots are not aware of how much the trim wheel is used in real flight.  Turn off that autopilot and the trim wheel is your best friend in the cockpit for sure.

The PMDG 737NGX has gone outside the standard FSX design parameters with so many items they may have precluded the use of the FSX settings and controls for this one.  Let’s hope Pete Dowson or one of those simcheck thinkers can come up with a tweak for this.

Would not have bought the thing if Id read that earlier...dang shame not being able to use a vital control on my most used planes.....how do they do it in the home cockpits?!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

<br />http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/265100/<br /><br />fascinating and informative thread.. so the pilot DOES use trim buttons on yoke(for big unsubtle trim changes) as well as the wheel itself (for medium trim changes) and an 'armable' manual lever on the trim wheel for subtle changes in trim... <br />unanimously the rw pilots hate the setup and especially the high speed spinning wheel! <br />.. even if im the only person interested in this issue i will post any relevant articles or threads i find just in case anyone else has need of it in future.. my thread in a bottle as it were! <br />Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

http://www.pprune.org/questions/54322-737-700-stabilizer-trim-wheel.html<br /><br />270 turns full aft to full forward ?!! <br /><br />http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/general-builder-questions-all-aircraft-types/25711-trim-wheels-737-tq.html<br /><br />home cockpit builder thread... wanting more realism <br /><br /><br />http://www.737flightsim.com/StabTrim/stabtrim.html<br />very technical page on inner workings of trim wheel.. seems someone thought it important enough to go to these lengths for realism <br /><br />http://www.b737.org.uk/flightcontrols.htm#Stab_Trim<br />737 tech site.. more questions raised.. two buttons on yoke for electric non manual<br />trim (manual wheel needed for full trim range) <br />one button for trim direction and one to cancel an electrical ground fault condition.. once u changed direction with the direction button how do you apply rate? <br />.. im gonna load up the ngx later and look for these buttons on yoke and eat humble pie if i find them! <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

http://www.dutchops.com/Portfolio_Marcel/Articles/Flight%20Controls/B737_Flight_Controls/B737_Primary_Flight_Controls.html<br /><br />pretty much the definitive answer i was looking for.. although id still love to see the yoke switches in action so i can program them on the ch yoke for accuracy <br /><br /><br />737 Flight Controls Overview - 737NG.co.uk<br />www.737ng.co.uk/B_NG-Flight_Controls.pdf<br /><br />fantastic!! all ngx owners should have this pdf.. superb visual and technical document describing all ng flight systems... great sharp hi res photos too.. <br /><br />Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

oh dear... wish id never seen this! <br />http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopid=LM4d44b5e9e98d764c1445b9c9e3&action=prodinfo&parent_id=287&art=97796<br /><br /> well i asked for it... <br /><br />finally!! i get to see a close up pic of the trim button/rocker... now i can see how it works... i might have come round in a big circle here to get back to trimming with a yoke rocker switch. but now i understand whats going on.. the yoke buttons are indeed realistic... the trim wheel is also realistic but not implemented on the ngx.. shame not to have both like the real aircraft but at least i can fly the plane again without feeling yoke switches are unrealistic.. i will just file a log with maintenance on the non working trim wheel.. <br />:P<br /><br />Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

oh dear... wish id never seen this!

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopid=LM4d44b5e9e98d764c1445b9c9e3&action=prodinfo&parent_id=287&art=97796

well i asked for it...

finally!! i get to see a close up pic of the trim button/rocker... now i can see how it works... i might have come round in a big circle here to get back to trimming with a yoke rocker switch. but now i understand whats going on.. the yoke buttons are indeed realistic... the trim wheel is also realistic but not implemented on the ngx.. shame not to have both like the real aircraft but at least i can fly the plane again without feeling yoke switches are unrealistic.. i will just file a log with maintenance on the non working trim wheel..

:P

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.flaps2approach.com/journal/2011/12/14/ace-b737-yoke-column-review.html

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Russell,

There should be an award for talking to yourself and solving your own issue.

Several people were aware of this, researched when the NGX first came out as I recall, and since it was already posted in the NGX forum at the time I didn't create another post about it.

Also, I didn't catch you're personal thread here until now, else I'd have saved you the trouble to pointing you to the thread I mentioned above.  I don't have a link to it, but I'm sure it can be found by searching the NGX forum.

Take care.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Russell,

There should be an award for talking to yourself and solving your own issue.

Several people were aware of this, researched when the NGX first came out as I recall, and since it was already posted in the NGX forum at the time I didn't create another post about it.

Also, I didn't catch you're personal thread here until now, else I'd have saved you the trouble to pointing you to the thread I mentioned above.  I don't have a link to it, but I'm sure it can be found by searching the NGX forum.

Take care.

Dave

thanks Dave! i did realize there was a fan con going on this weekend so wasnt too surprised things were quiet. figured id try and lessen my nuisance factor by posting my progress too!

i been googling for a week but only found the quote above no solution (im always looking for solutions not dead ends).. will look again in the forums now you confirmed theres something to find not turning up in Google results...

btw my problem only HALF solved... i have the md11 to diagnose too now! :)

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK