Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

The Real Problem with FSX Weather

The real problem with FSX isn't the cloud textures, because I use AS2012 and they look quite nice. It also isn't the winds, or the percipitation, or the thunder, or the turbulance, because these all work well with default or addon weather.

The real problem is the sun. The reason I say this, is because I can never feel like I'm there, at the airport when it is a sunny or overcast day. The ground always looks the same, whether it's sunny or cloudy. Think of it this way. When it is a warm, summer day with few clouds, the concrete is bright, the grass has a shine to it, and the water glitters. The whole ground looks different when it is sunny than when it is cloudy. When it is cloudy, there is little contrast and the ground and concrete always looks dull. So how come it doesn't look like this in FSX, where the world has that different "feel" and look to it when it is sunny than when it is cloudy. Are there any ways to make it so the sun has a bigger impact on the environment, like it does in real life, or is this one of the limitations within the simulator?

My regards,

Nathan3219

It's an old sim. The lighting engine has always been horrible. Bloom might help, or one of the shader mods like enb or sweetfx.

Yeah, that's something we all fight.  This is one of the things that would make people to jump ship to P3D if they make some improvements (and I'd think they should.)  I installed ENB and worked over a weekend to improve the lighting.  Then I added SweetFX.  Here's a thread that shows the result...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/405373-cities-x-may-not-have-night-lightingbut-i-love-it-during-the-day/

Thing is, there's only so much you can do.  If you make things too bright then the cockpits and distant scenery look weird.  If you create too much contrast the cockpits get very dark.  There may be other ways to tweak ENB but the documenation is very scarce so I settled for what I got. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Guess we need the Beatles.....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I had actually never even thought about this. Maybe there is something P3d can do.

Lee

How about CYVR from FSDT.

The sun's shadows alter per time of day.

Good enough for me just need more airports done like it.

Leave in the morning with the sun on you at Gate #

Park at same gate when you get back in the evening and it's in shade. :lol:

Trevor Golding