Sign in to follow this  
crazydread18

60+ FPS on default planes ... drops to 25 on Realair Lancair Legacy

. If the texture is 4096x4096 then it will get drawn as 4096x4096

FSX SDK states about aircraft t4extures:

For Aircraft, texture maps cannot currently exceed 1024x1024 pixels in size. However they can be smaller, as long as the dimensions remain a power of 2.

Has that limit been lifted?

FSX SDK states about aircraft t4extures:

Has that limit been lifted?

Apparently so. One shouldn't believe everything one reads in the SDK.

I did testing on 4096x4096 textures where I created a test square of single pixels placed one pixel apart. If there were any texture degradation caused by loading into FSX then the test square wouldn't display properly. As long as the texture didn't have mipmaps it displayed in full resolution regardless of the texture_max_load setting. 

There are many aircraft released nowadays that use larger than 1024x1024 textures.

www.antsairplanes.com

Apparently so. One shouldn't believe everything one reads in the SDK.

One shouldn't also believe everything one reads in the forums either.

What exactly are you saying? You don't agree or what?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The FSX SDK (and the P3D SDK) both have this limitation.

Don't you think that quadrupling the size of the bitmaps and increasing the number of pixels to be handled by a factor of 16 might perhaps have something to do with frame rates, OOMs and crashes?

Absolutely. So does adding undocumented changes to your cfg like LOD increase lol - but I still do it. I know the cause for my OOMs are me ... Never said otherwise. Still though, I prefer to push the limits to see what FSX can really do.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Still though, I prefer to push the limits to see what FSX can really do.

I've no problem with that given that any adverse consequences are accepted and not blamed on FSX.