Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

FS Global 2010: Big Difference?

I'm thinking about buying this in the near future but still not sure.  I'm able to find before/after shots and videos for it on FSX but not on FS9.

Does it provide a big improvement for FS9?  I also have FSX and I notice that the default mesh on FSX is better than FS9.  Will this bring mesh resolution for FS9 to that of default FSX?  Also, will the improvements be visible on mountains, hills, etc far off in the distance or do you only notice it when you're up close?  I fly airliners 99% of the time, that's why I'm still unsure.  

Anybody using this with FS9? 

I like the product.  I too mainly fly at high alt.  But, while on departure/finals, I always like the landscape going by.  You do notice a difference in the way the terrain looks.  Peaks are jagged and cliffs are much more defined.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

I use FSGlobal 2008. It does make a substantial difference in FS9.

Particularly when you use :-

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21  instead of default 19 in the FS9 cfg file.

Thanks guys.  I was worried that FS9 mesh can't look any better.  That's good to know. 

Appliance,

Is there an fps hit by increasing the terrain max vertex level?  Is this also recommended for the 2010 version? 

I was just browsing aerosoft and I see that there is a newer mesh add on called FS Global Ultimate.  It will be about double the price for a global coverage compared to FS Global 2010.  Hmmmmm.  Any thoughts on this one?

***EDIT***  I think I'll just get FS Global 2010.  I was reading the description of Ultimate and found this...  Important information: The Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 unfortunately can not display such high resolutions. Hence from this package FS2004 useres can install AFM only. You should consider upgrading to FSX to use FS Global Ultimate as well.

s there an fps hit by increasing the terrain max vertex level?  Is this also recommended for the 2010 version? 

No. Yes.    :lol:

No. Yes.    :lol:

Excellent! B)  I'm looking forward to trying this out.  Thanks again.

Jon,

I think they're the same but the later versions have better resolution that you probably won't be able to take advantage of unless you're running it on FSX.

For my FS 2004 Mesh perfection I use...

FS Golbal SE for FS 2002 and FS 2004.(Purchased in 2006).

Ultimate Terrain USA and Canada for FS 2004.

Stephen Roslithberger's SRTM Global Mesh for selected regeons. Free....>>> http://simviation.com/1/fs2004terrainmesh

VOZ 1.8 for FS 2004 (Free). Selective colours for different Seasons around the World.

REX for FS 2004.

All this makes a wonderful, realistic experience to FS 2004, compared with default!

Really wonderful for VFR flights over familliar, realistic scenery!

Paul...California Cruising!... B) ...!

P.S...My copy of FSX is sulking in the corner of my room... :P ...!