Sign in to follow this  
Buccaneer

New GPU card, FPS are UP but AutoGen & Mesh textures are loading slower?

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my GPU card. They're both not top top end, but the new one 'was' top end a few years ago.

I've upgraded from a ATI HD 3870 to a HD 4890.

Basically the new card has at least twice the horsepower than the older one.

However i'm noticing something odd.

Whilst the frame rate is predictably UP,  the rate at which the auto-gen & terrain textures load is  DOWN!?

The end result is that i find my self very quickly flying over a 'bald' landscape with fuzzy low res. ground textures, FAR SOONER, than i did with the older weaker card.

I have NOT altered any of the in-game settings from how they previously were.

Does anybody know what might be up?

Cheers

Bucc

Presuming you wiped the drivers clean before you changed the card and also deleted your fsx CFG (and saved it) and key fsx build a new on dafter you installed the card

Hi there, Yes i did scrub the PC before installing.

I even used the http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html website to get the cfg file cleaned up. (Which HAS improved things a bit).

The main thing also seems to be that because the new GPU is so much 'faster' than the surrounding HW etc,  The FPS seem to jerk about when textures are loading in the background etc, instead of just doing what you'd expect, which is have the GPU animate frames while data loads in the background?

However this wasn't nearly as bad with the old card.    

I DO plan on upgrading my PC to something more substantial at some point, but in the meantime..

Any tips on how to 'smooth' this out.

I do not know what the rest of your computer looks like, but your RAM and CPU may not be able to feed the autogen and textures to your new video card fast enough to create smooth frame rates.  If this is the case, you can turn down the graphics sliders in FSX and see if things smooth out.  Also, turn down AI traffic, especially road vehicles, they place a fair amount of stress on the CPU.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Should of went with Nvidea for the upgrade.

LOL Spook that was helpful :-/

Seriously though..  Yes i agree the surrounding HW is 'aged' somewhat. (Athlon X2 @ 2.4ghz, DDR2 & IDE drive)

But the load rates of Autogen, mesh & ground textures WERE OK before with the older GPU.

What seems to be happening is that all the above seem to be taking LONGER than before to load, when apart from the new GPU, nothing has been changed.

I would have expected to see the SAME rate of loading of the above, like before, but just with more FPS?  (which i do get)

So WHY the slowdown in loading? - It's like the new GPU is being 'starved' ?

Sorry, and no offence :) but if you had done a little reasearch it would of informed you that ATI is not the best for fsx, Nvidea is. ( the graphics card not the system)

You said you used venetubo   -  did you try a fresh config file first?

I have 4890/1GB too with Shader3 mod, and I have not problem with FSX. Your processor not good enough to this strong GPU. My CPU is i5/750 OC 3.8

Putting aside the older specs of the PC, one wouldn't expect a 'degrade' in the loading rate from what i was getting before with a weaker GPU.

One thing i HAVE noticed that might shed light on what is going on that someone more 'expert' that I may have a solution to....

When I select 'flyby' of an aircraft that is at speed ' say cruising at M.85. The plane is INVISIBLE until it is almost passing the viewpoint, then disappears again when reaches the same distance again moving away.

In the past i have noticed this before with the older card.. Bit it would ONLY happen when the plane was at the BEGINNING of the flypast cycle, thus a tiny dot anyway.. & WOULD be displayed most of the time..

It is as though the card or some hidden setting is CHOOSING a very SMALL render radius,, Which might explain why textures & auto-gen are disappearing so quickly & taking so long to re-render as i fly through the scenery?

And before anyone suggests it, YES i DO have the rendering radius set to MAX within the sim... So it is NOT that.

Could the two phenomenon be interlinked?

Alas none of the above so far is helping to answer WHY graphics are loading SLOWER than before?