Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

A few questions on the Jetprop

Hi guys,

I found some guidelines for flying a propjet in the RW and the modelling looks really very good. Do any of you guys fly the VFR pattern with it? What procedures do you use...power settings, speeds, flaps. I have been thinking 120 downwind with a notch. 110 base second notch, 100 final last notch.

Also some nagging questions and observations about the checklist.

• Startup clearance button doesn't work...right?
  • The checklist says to move the fuel condition lever when Ng gets up to 15 but mine only seems to get up to 12.
  • Checklist says alternator on and charge the batteries for 20 seconds. Is that the Standby Alt on the overhead? Am I missing something?
  • Checkist mentions fuel transfer pumps. Is that the auto fuel/manual fuel switch? If so, how do you check it?
  • I guess you're supposed to run the fuel pump all the time. Has anyone found a way to tone the whine down? Watched some YouTube videos and you can't even hear it over the volume of the engine RW.
  • What's the Engine Trend AF Time?
  • I guess the Slaving system, Prop Governor, manual override, and autopilot test buttons have all been not implemented.
  • Seems like when it says to check ice protection, there really isn't anything to check other than the light coming on. I didn't notice any rise in Amps when I tested it.
  • Seems like the GNS 500 is pretty bright. I found out how to turn it down in the unit but have to keep turning it down every time I start.
  • What's an Ice Door?...a door that closes to keep ice out?
  • I guess the only thing to do with the autopilot prior to takeoff is to test it? I tried setting it up prior to departure...trust me, not a good idea. There is no autopilot override on control input.
  • The fuel selector has 3 positions...off, left and right. Do you set this to fullest tank or just leave it off? Not sure what off means but it flies with it off unless you take it off 'off' and put it back to 'off'. If you do have to take it off 'off' then I hope there is a fuel transfer.
  • I'm guessing the fuel cutoff is between the seats on the center console? Not implemented?

Also, the DH thing right above the Garmins...I set it to 200 for an ILS...is it supposed to do something?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

There is one thing that NEEEEEEDS to be fixed in this airplane and that's the font on the PFD.  In some places I find it very difficult to tell 0's and 8's apart and sometimes the 6's.  180 knots is a lot different than 100.  2800 ft is a lot different than 2000.   

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Haven't flown the JetProp too much in the last few weeks, but a few of these from memory: 

• Startup clearance button doesn't work...right?
    Correct - it's one of those niggling little things...

• The checklist says to move the fuel condition lever when Ng gets up to 15 but mine only seems to get up to 12.
      Again, correct.  I usually move it at about 9'ish or so.

• Checklist says alternator on and charge the batteries for 20 seconds. Is that the Standby Alt on the overhead? Am I missing something?
      I THINK, the correct procedure is to turn on the Standby Alt, then select each battery in turn for 20 seconds.  Then turn off the Standy Alt, and turn on the generator.

• Checkist mentions fuel transfer pumps. Is that the auto fuel/manual fuel switch? If so, how do you check it?
    The transfer system - which uses a header tank - is another of those things that's only partly implemented.  I think the auto/manual switch is part of it, but not all, and I think there's supposed to be a fuel gauge for the header tank too.

• I guess you're supposed to run the fuel pump all the time. Has anyone found a way to tone the whine down? Watched some YouTube videos and you can't even hear it over the volume of the engine RW.
    Check some of the back posts.  Someone mentioned editing one of the wav files to turn this down.  I don't think the warning light is supposed to stay lit either (someone can correct me), which bugs me as well.

• What's the Engine Trend AF Time?
    Can't help here.

• I guess the Slaving system, Prop Governor, manual override, and autopilot test buttons have all been not implemented.
    Not that I've found.

• Seems like when it says to check ice protection, there really isn't anything to check other than the light coming on. I didn't notice any rise in Amps when I tested it.
    Not sure what the checklist means in this context.  And no, electrical loads don't seem to be simulated.

• Seems like the GNS 500 is pretty bright. I found out how to turn it down in the unit but have to keep turning it down every time I start.
    Never messed with this, as brightness seems OK to me.

• What's an Ice Door?...a door that closes to keep ice out?
    Basically a deflector.  I use standard turboprop procedure and leave it open for ground ops for FOD protection and then close.  Engine power should drop when open, but doesn't.

• I guess the only thing to do with the autopilot prior to takeoff is to test it? I tried setting it up prior to departure...trust me, not a good idea. There is no autopilot override on control input.
    Not sure what you mean here.  I preset altitude and enable the FD, but no... you don't want to turn it on until well in the air (Note, however, that as I use hardware, sometimes AP issues get masked for me as the hardware will do something the VC clicks can't/don't).  Note the yaw damper is mis-labeled as well.

• The fuel selector has 3 positions...off, left and right. Do you set this to fullest tank or just leave it off? Not sure what off means but it flies with it off unless you take it off 'off' and put it back to 'off'. If you do have to take it off 'off' then I hope there is a fuel transfer.
    Set to fullest tank.  As with most Carenados this is straight FSX fuel system stuff - they do not appear to model the JetProp's actual system details.  As in default planes, fuel flows when off, but once you've turned it on, "off" means off  (it's an FSX "feature" to hide details from novices unless you WANT to mess with it, in which case it suddenly works.  Set it to the fullest tank and manage balance yourself.  An "imbalance" annunciator will light if you get too far off.

• I'm guessing the fuel cutoff is between the seats on the center console? Not implemented?
    Don't think so.

Working from memory here, as not near my FS system.  As I've said before, this is not a detailed systems plane.  The checklist I use is heavily edited from a real-world version.

Scott

I think there's supposed to be a fuel gauge for the header tank too.

I found that...in with all the other gauges.

Note the yaw damper is mis-labeled as well.

I was wondering about that.

Seems like the GNS 500 is pretty bright. I found out how to turn it down in the unit but have to keep turning it down every time I start.
Never messed with this, as brightness seems OK to me.

Maybe it's my monitor. 

The checklist I have is a real world checklist.  Doesn't seem much off and the Carenado one in the PDF is pretty good, actually. 

Seems to me that they often skip the easy stuff.  I'd think that the amperage thing would be easy (they at least did it for the pitot heat).  Fuel transfer just a bit harder.  The governer might be tougher.  Doesn't seem like the implemented a timer either.

Also, I've had a number of freezes and CTDs mid-flight with this airplane.  It's the only one I've ever had that happen on.

Gregg Seipp

Sigh...4 CTDs with this airplane in 2 days.  I was hoping it would be my go-to GA airplane.  Anywhoooo...

Gregg Seipp

I found that...in with all the other gauges.

Hmm... guess it has been a while since I've looked.  Yep, loaded it up tonight and there it was as obvious as could be.  Don't know why I thought it wasn't.  I'll chalk it up to ADD. :-)

Sigh...4 CTDs with this airplane in 2 days. I was hoping it would be my go-to GA airplane. Anywhoooo...

Bummer!  What's the specific fault?  I've never had a CTD with this airplane and have not seen anything from others that would suggest a widespread problem.

Scott

Bummer! What's the specific fault? I've never had a CTD with this airplane and have not seen anything from others that would suggest a widespread problem.

According to the logs it was in ntdll.dll.  I checked and I do have the himem fix in.  I think I'm already spoiled with quite a few great airplanes. 

Gregg Seipp

Wow, now that's a list!

ICE DEFLECTOR = INERTIAL SEPARATOR; This should be ON (with a light on the panel lit) during all ground operations. As some one said, this is basically 

a flap inside the intake that supposedly keeps crap like snow, ice, and debris out of the PT6. You turn this OFF during flight/take off. The effect is

not modeled, except the light. In RW, your supposed to use this all the time during ground ops,... In all the T-Prop vids I have,  all the pilots don't bother

with it. The danger is that the prop wash will kick up something from the ground, and get sucked into the PT6. This is why your supposed to return from 

reverse thrust below 40 ias during landing.

The level for the display is inside the .CAB file called "G500_P46T.CAB" in FSX main/gauges. You need to edit the file (inside the .CAB) called "g500_config.xml".

It not hard to do. You can extract everything to a temp file, make the edits in the config.xml, and "Re-Cab" everything with "iexpress.exe" in windows.

I go all Frankenstein with my sound files. I replaced the hideous pump with the stock Baron pump, as well as the gyro sound. I'm using TSS sounds for the

PT6.

As far as the fuel goes, I let that dog sleep. It's a pain to switch the tanks. It you don't mess with it, she'll drawl from both tanks at the same time like all

second grader engineers would design it to do! The AUTO/MAN switch is for the header tank. This should be on AUTO all the time. Set and forget until shut down.

I try to land at 90 kts, props (Blue) and condition (Red) full forward, and TRQ @ 350-450, and 3/4 flaps. Full flaps will have your nose up to high for my

taste, and you'll have to have TRQ in the 450-550 range.

I fly her the most, even though she is super basic systems wise. Mine is mod'ed up to a Piper Meridian, and I fly her in DX10.

Wow, now that's a list!

ICE DEFLECTOR = INERTIAL SEPARATOR; This should be ON (with a light on the panel lit) during all ground operations. As some one said, this is basically 

a flap inside the intake that supposedly keeps crap like snow, ice, and debris out of the PT6. You turn this OFF during flight/take off. The effect is

not modeled, except the light. In RW, your supposed to use this all the time during ground ops,... In all the T-Prop vids I have,  all the pilots don't bother

with it. The danger is that the prop wash will kick up something from the ground, and get sucked into the PT6. This is why your supposed to return from 

reverse thrust below 40 ias during landing.

The level for the display is inside the .CAB file called "G500_P46T.CAB" in FSX main/gauges. You need to edit the file (inside the .CAB) called "g500_config.xml".

It not hard to do. You can extract everything to a temp file, make the edits in the config.xml, and "Re-Cab" everything with "iexpress.exe" in windows.

I go all Frankenstein with my sound files. I replaced the hideous pump with the stock Baron pump, as well as the gyro sound. I'm using TSS sounds for the

PT6.

As far as the fuel goes, I let that dog sleep. It's a pain to switch the tanks. It you don't mess with it, she'll drawl from both tanks at the same time like all

second grader engineers would design it to do! The AUTO/MAN switch is for the header tank. This should be on AUTO all the time. Set and forget until shut down.

I try to land at 90 kts, props (Blue) and condition (Red) full forward, and TRQ @ 350-450, and 3/4 flaps. Full flaps will have your nose up to high for my

taste, and you'll have to have TRQ in the 450-550 range.

I fly her the most, even though she is super basic systems wise. Mine is mod'ed up to a Piper Meridian, and I fly her in DX10.

Thanks.  Very useful stuff.  Flaps are supposed to lower the nose, no?  I'll look at those torque numbers next time I'm up.  I started flying with Ng like I do the Duke.  It's more responsive than TRQ and settles down quicker with throttle input so throttle changes are easier.  Not sure if it's like that in the RW since I hear from all the developers that the turbine model in FSX isn't very good and has to be worked around. 

Apart from the CTD thing I really enjoy this aircraft.  Great responsiveness and, wow, with AccuFeel it's pretty wow. I'm mulling the CTDs this morning.  I'm going to take up a couple of other airplanes to make certain they're okay...that some other change to my system didn't cause them.  I did do a reboot to no avail.  Seems to happen about 10-20 minutes into the flight.  One time I was adjusting the range on the G500 map.  Another time just flying along not even looking up at the sim (phone rang) and it was restarting.  Once I check those airplanes out I'll know more what direction to go.

Gregg Seipp

Well, I tested out all of my toughest airplanes today...Flight1 Mustang, J41 (if there was a problem the Mustang would have shown it...it's resource intensive).  Ran the same system including Accufeel.  No CTDs.  Tested the Duke Turbine yesterday.  I may just have to make sure I restart before each and every flight with this one.  Maybe that will help.  I don't really mind CTDs when I change airplanes...it happens.  But a CTD in the middle of the flight...shudders.  Hope it works.

Gregg Seipp

Can't help ya with the CTDs. Never had one myself.. One of the lucky ones i guess.

Flaps; She'll nose down, but as you get closer to 90 kts, she'll nose up trying to keep the slope, almost a "pre" flare. I was lucky enough to sit in a real one last summer, and made a point of taking a picture of my eye line position. That nose sits out there like a 1972 Cadillac Grand Marquee Braun! So it's easy to lose the ground, and that's why I only go 3/4 (There are 4 spots btw).

FDE is a Stolle,

Take Off Tip: set the trim just above the letter V on the throttle Q.. helps with a smoother take off, as opposed to leaping off the RW.

Flaps; She'll nose down, but as you get closer to 90 kts, she'll nose up trying to keep the slope, almost a "pre" flare. I was lucky enough to sit in a real one last summer, and made a point of taking a picture of my eye line position. That nose sits out there like a 1972 Cadillac Grand Marquee Braun! So it's easy to lose the ground, and that's why I only go 3/4 (There are 4 spots btw).

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Take Off Tip: set the trim just above the letter V on the throttle Q.. helps with a smoother take off, as opposed to leaping off the RW.

I was wondering about that. She tends to want to nose up pretty high with it in the middle and my trim buttons are slowwwwww and I end up holding the nose down while the wheel turns. For the Turbine Duke I put it pretty close to neutral.

BTW, any good repaints of her yet?

Gregg Seipp

BTW, any good repaints of her yet?

HA! I've done two, both RW paints

2013 Sunglow Red : http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=2013+malibu&CatID=root&Go=Search

2012 Black Swoosh:  http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=2012_meridian.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

The sunglow comes with a birds eye maple panel and new interior. Also an optional carbon fiber Throttle quad.

My three threads on the subject:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/400962-panels-and-other-ideas/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/400003-repaints-part-ii/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/385594-jet-prop-re-paints/

Wow...that black and gold one...gonna have to install that tomorrow!

Gregg Seipp