Sign in to follow this  
James Bennett

Thinking of overclocking - i'm a beginner

I'm thinking of overclocking my laptops ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4530. I want to do it safely, although this laptop is on its last legs and i am due to replace it in a month or twos time, i don't want to trash it and not be able to recover my data etc. 

I'm a beginner and have never overclocked anything before.

I can't find a guide anywhere that i understand deeply enough to know i'm not going to break something.

Someone please point me in the right direction?  :blush:

Someone else with my exact laptop has overclocked it from 500mhz to 700mhz core successfully, i just don't know how to do it. The cooling should be fine too, but i can test this as i go.

Might be tricky overclocking a laptop. One of the biggest issues with Overclocking is getting ride of the extra heat the hardware generates when overclocked. Also overclocking a CPU requires the motherboard bios to allow manipulation of CPU frequency's and voltages. It is preobaly the case that your laptop motherboard won't allow this or if it does in a very limited fashion. I doubt if you would see any descernable performance enhancement from the very limiited OC you will likely be able to get.

Having said that If you plan to go to a Desktop for a new Fight Sim build I would encourage you keep serious overclocking in mind for serio9us performance enhancement

Someone else with my exact laptop has overclocked it from 500mhz to 700mhz core successfully, i just don't know how to do it. The cooling should be fine too, but i can test this as i go.

If That is the case get the bios setting from the person who did that. For a start: to enter the BIOS press the delete key when the start up screen appears. You can naviate arround different setting using the entger key and the up and down arrow. The first step in the learning process is to get familiar with the Motherboard BIOS. Getting arround FSX is much more intimidating!

Here is a good web-site: www.Overclockers.net

Good luck