Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

Member Identities

I have just come from reading the Forum Alert regarding false identities on Avsim. I'm wondering if people, like myself could invite Avsim to check their identities and add that ' Status' to our Avatar/Visible Info once logged in. Would other genuine members' of this Community, support this recommendation? It would at least let other people know that I am who I say I am and it gives me a 'heads-up' that I might be talking to god knows who. Jon

Hi Jon,

I personally have no problem with what you are suggesting. On the other hand if a individual is not who (whom?) they claim to be and AVSIM staff becomes aware of that, I think they (AVSIM) already have policy in place to deal with that and making the issue public may not really serve any purpose. Adding more facts like that to Avatar area may or may not be a very good idea. After all, consider this, what if an error occurred and someone was accidentally and incorrectly labeled as a false ID? That could seriously damaged someones good reputation - assuming they have one. :Big Grin:  Now reverse the circumstances. What If someone with a false ID should happen to go undetected and be labeled in the Avatar as trusted or genuine?

So, even though I'm not really against your suggestion I think I would still give a thumbs down.

Regards to all,

Mel

Since I'm not looking to hook-up with or hand my credit card info to anyone on AVSIM, I seriously don't care about identities. The only thing important to me is whether the people answering my aviation questions know what they're talking about.

What exactly would a verification process entail? Who will be the first to submit their long-form birth certificate? I'll be done Photoshop'ing mine soon. :ph34r:  Need a hard copy with an official seal? No problem -- there's a guy on the net, several in fact, selling them for $5.00 + Fedex fees.

I'm not laughing at you, my friend ... I just find the prospect of many hundreds of members producing legal proof of identity -- and the monumental task of staff reviewing it all -- to be ridiculously impossible. And, as mebull said above, after all of that paper shuffling what real guarantee would you actually have that anyone's status is genuine?

Ronald the Reagan said one thing that I totally agreed with: "Trust but verify." I'll let my common sense handle that. :)

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

I trust no one I haven't met personally and have gotten to know them on a daily basis ... yes that includes AVSIM Staff, Phil Taylor, Austin, etc. and forum members. I hope no one is offended by such a statement, but until I really "know" you, I don't trust you ... just how I'm wired.

But you should ALWAYS be cautious when it comes to anything on the Internet. Never EVER rely on a single resource, always look for additional information.

I would expect the same from anyone in AVSIM, to not trust me unless they really know me and have met me.

That doesn't mean everyone is not who they say they are, nor does it mean everyone is out to fake an alternate reality, so don't get paranoid. You just have to go thru the information and store it, filter it, cross reference it.

wondering if people, like myself could invite Avsim to check their identities

Just how would AVSIM staff do that for members worldwide - even if they had the time?

Aren't some of the fakers on here half the fun though...  :P  ^_^  I've no problems with sharing my I.D. if Tom or the team would like it, but I don't think it's either practical or necessary...

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I would expect the same from anyone in AVSIM, to not trust me unless they really know me and have met me.

I am waiting for your feedback regarding your GTX Titan you ordered recently. I'll trust your opinion on that :P

Beyond my real name and maybe a picture (both I chose to display on my own), I wouldn't share any other personal information just for the sake of posting in a flight simulation hobby forum.

C'mon guys, this idea is passing the line of absurdity.

Why do we need to have ID verification checks just to talk about our hobbies?

My avatar isn't really me, it's my grandad. B)

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I am waiting for your feedback regarding your GTX Titan you ordered recently. I'll trust your opinion on that :P

It ended up an Asus GTX 680 direct cu 4gb. I just couldn't justify the extra $700.00 for the Titan. I was sorta set to do it but I got talked out of it, here and by the Sales guy at the store that assembled the system. Plus, at the time they were not expecting Titans for over a week. The new system is fast enough. I just wish I could get FSX, P3D and Estonian Migration tool to play nice.

Jon

I am waiting for your feedback regarding your GTX Titan you ordered recently. I'll trust your opinion on that

Don't let me hold you up ... I'm in no rush to install it and I doubt when I do install it, I'll see much difference in terms of frame rates in FSX/P3D but am hoping XP10 gains some (which is pretty consistent with what others have posted).

My avatar is me (about 5 years ago), and yes that's a racing suit I've got on, and yes that's a green screen background ... that's a hobby (one of several -- think I got enough videos on YouTube to back that up) ... but if you want to know more you'll have to follow the white rabbit.

But I tend to agree that the quest for forum members identities is getting a little too Big Brother like and I'm not sure how it would benefit this site? 

Now, back to my Spiderman costume.

Beyond my real name and maybe a picture (both I chose to display on my own), I wouldn't share any other personal information just for the sake of posting in a flight simulation hobby forum.

C'mon guys, this idea is passing the line of absurdity.

Why do we need to have ID verification checks just to talk about our hobbies?

I'm not suggesting a dna check and ok, it's impractical but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Jon

<-----That ugly guy in that picture is me......SCARY

Matthew Kane

<-----That ugly guy in that picture is me......SCARY

Note my Avatar. You can't imagine facing life with a head like mine.

Jon

What... you suspect I might not look like my avatar or something?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69