Sign in to follow this  
jason74

Will there ever be a SP2 for the J41?

Hi

I have been flying the J41 a few times recently and it just seams a bit Buggy.  Like one flight Ill have no probs getting the engines started and the next flight i can only get 1 or no engines going and also if i go to map view then back to the VC I get Lines Flashing on the screen! I just wanted to Know if There are plans to do a SP2 in the Future????

Cheers Jason

Jason Richards

At this  stage no, about the flashing have you tuned off the icing  effect in your config manager

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

What graphics card do you have?

Try using the HIGHMEMFIX=1 fix in the "fsx.cfg". Your VC issue is probably related to a graphics overload. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

This is one of my favorite planes to fly and has been for quite some time now. I had that flashing VC problem once before and for me the solution was to open the J41 configuration manager and turn the cockpit detail from "High" to "Normal." With this, the flashing was gone, the cockpit still looks amazing, and I get a bit better frame rate performance as well.

As for the engines this particular aircraft has notoriously temperamental engine dynamics and from what I've read it is realistic the to the actual aircraft. You have to go through a careful start-up process to get these engines running without burning them up. I had a hell of a time for a while and burnt up a number of engines before I finally got used to the proper start procedures. There's an excellent tutorial on the AVSIM PMDG forum called "Turbo-Props" I believe, which details exactly how to start the engines and shut them down properly.    

As for the engines this particular aircraft has notoriously temperamental engine dynamics

I agree with that. Though I too have been flying it since its release and I use the same engine start procedure every time. Ill have 20 successful starts in a row. Then not changing anything, have a start failure. I've shut off engine fire detect in the config and due the procedure over, without changing a thing and get starts. Never thought the engines starts were completely kosher.

After using the start guide stickied in this forum, I have never had an issue.

Once thing that may help:

When the plane is loading, press and hold F2 to bring the thrust levers back into reverse.  This should make doubly sure that the plane is on the locks.  When you're ready to start, just tap F1 to set them at idle and carry on.

Kyle Rodgers

Also, I double and triple check to make sure the props are set correctly (I.E. not feathered) by looking out the left window and at the right engine before I press the start switch. You can tell just by looking whether or not the props are fully fine and on the start locks.

If you are using the correct start procedure, than I''m not sure what the problem could be, unless it's something unique to your particular system. Have you tried a fresh install and then applied the patch available on PMDG's website? I would first install the aircraft file, run FSX and load the default Cessna on the ground somewhere, then load the J41. Then shut-down FSX, run the patch, and do the same opening procedure with FSX again.

Another problem I had with this plane, which I believe I fixed with a re-install like I described above, was when I would try connect to the ground power unit, I would get a total FSX CTD every time. I think it had something to do with some Visual C++ runtime components not loading properly. This is just a very comprehensive add-on. With a lot of complexity, there's bound to be issues at times.       

Also, I double and triple check to make sure the props are set correctly (I.E. not feathered) by looking out the left window and at the right engine before I press the start switch. You can tell just by looking whether or not the props are fully fine and on the start locks.

+1.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

PMDG need to make a sticky at the top of this forum regarding J41 SP2 and another how to stop the icing artifacts by turning the virtual cockpit quality to medium; they seem to crop up every month or so and the discussion is always the same.

Just to show what Jeremy means, here's a graphic illustrating how the props need to look, you need fully fine pitch to start:
proppitch.jpg

Ill have 20 successful starts in a row. Then not changing anything, have a start failure. I've shut off engine fire detect in the config and due the procedure over, without changing a thing and get starts. Never thought the engines starts were completely kosher.

Every time I had an issue starting engines I could always attribute me misoperating the aircraft, so to help others I've made a basic tutorial/troubleshooting guide to engines not starting and another about engine fires, both are available at:
http://www.viaintercity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I'll also add that it doesn't seem to matter that the start locks are engaged so much as to have flat props in order to have a successful start.  I have had situations where I click unfeather and watch the props go flat.  Then, after going on with the checklist and just before start I look back at the props and they're feathered again (my thought is that the start locks didn't engage when I unfeathered).  I just click unfeather again, watch them go flat and then do the start.  Works fine.  Of course, a rotating prop with the props that are not unfeathered will produce forward thrust so keep the brakes on.  Bottom line is that the engines will not start if the props are feathered.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I have had situations where I click unfeather and watch the props go flat.  Then, after going on with the checklist and just before start I look back at the props and they're feathered again (my thought is that the start locks didn't engage when I unfeathered).  I just click unfeather again, watch them go flat and then do the start.  Works fine.

You won't have flat props without the start locks being engaged; once the oil pressure in the propeller hub drains off the propellers will feather if they're not on the start locks (NTS operates), however this takes a minute or so after the engines have stopped turning or the unfeather pump has stopped running.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

You won't have flat props without the start locks being engaged; once the oil pressure in the propeller hub drains off the propellers will feather if they're not on the start locks (NTS operates), however this takes a minute or so after the engines have stopped turning or the unfeather pump has stopped running.

This happens to me even when I'm cold and dark.  Not sure why they're not engaging but I'll try Kyle's trick too.  In any case, it works.

Gregg Seipp

If you're loading up the aircraft in a cold and dark state or using a C&D script that could cause the start locks to fail to engage initially, requiring you to unfeather.

Negative Torque Sensing (NTS) is a fail-safe hydraulic system and will feather the propellers even when the aircraft is cold and dark as it's not dependent on electrical power. It's all counter weights and return springs; if there's no oil pressure in the propeller hub to resist those forces, the props will feather unless the start locks catch them.

support1.jpg

Thanks for the advice i followed that startup guide what i was doing wrong was the props where featherd when i was trying to start.

Jason Richards

I don't think it's true to say that the engine will always start correctly if you follow the procedure properly. I have had several occasions where with both engines treated the same, one will start and run up to idle, the other starts, TGT and rpm rise, yet after starter cutout rpm runs back and the engine stops. It is complex and does not always initialise properly. The logic of the engine model can get out of sync too. The only solution in that case is to reload the sim.

ki9cAAb.jpg