Sign in to follow this  
abh_jc_03

FMC message

I was making a trip from KSFO to YSSY and it gave me insufficient fuel.  I know it's not realistic but my time was limited to get airborne.  Any way, I was trying use the PMDG option on the drop bar to add fuel while airborne but it didn't work therefore I have a insufficient fuel message on my FMC along with max altitude 33780.  I try and clear the messages but they keep popping up.  I brought my aircraft below FL330 and I still get the message.  I am trying to select my approach and I can't enter anything because of those to FMC messages.  Also I noticed in the VC that after a while the map freezes but if you right click and then click on virtual cockpit again it refreshes or I can just click on the display and it shows the refreshed DTG.  Any suggestions?

Josh Scholl

As far as I remember 'air-fuelling' should be possible.

The CDU message, to my knowledge, is implemented like the RW message. It's supposed to come up again, since it can be critical for your flight.

For fuel savings usually a higher FL is needed, except for more favourable winds on a lower FL.

One thing that may prevent repeating the message is to set a lower cost index, as this will slow down your airplane and thereby save some fuel.

The insufficient fuel message will keep appearing if it estimates you will land with less than the reserves figure in the FMC. What did your fuel planner estimate for reserves and did you use that figure? While not "procedure", entering a lower reserves figure will make the message go away.

Keeping the winds aloft updated will also help the FMC estimate fuel remaining more accurately.

The altitude warning is usually associated with running the sim at accelerated time.

Peter

Peter Schluter

I can't lower the cost index because I can't enter anything into the scratchpad due to the messages.  The sim is at real time.  Flight from KSFO to YSSY is about 14.5 hours.  On my yoke it timed it at 12.5 hours so I was real time.  I just estimated about 10.0 for reserves and that's what I used.  I figured I could add more fuel along the flight to make sure I'd make it with enough fuel.  I set the aircraft in the load manager to full fuel so it should be able to fly that distance on full fuel.  I used flight aware route and altitude of 40,000 but fsx would only let me have max altitude of 37800 ft.  So I obviously had to drop it down.  I can't enter my approach so I'm not sure how I am going to fly the rest of the way.

Josh Scholl

I just estimated about 10.0 for reserves and that's what I used.

That's your problem.

You're flying a realistic simulation of a 744.  If you want it to behave realistically, you should give it realistic fuel loads with realistic estimations of your reserves.

Example:

The automation is calculating that you'll use 500,000 pounds of fuel for the flight.  If you have 510,000 pounds of fuel, and tell it 10,000 pounds are your reserves, as soon as it calculates you're going to use 500,001 pounds of fuel, it'll trigger the message.

There is a whole chapter in the manuals devoted to fuel planning.  It is worth a read, and it is one of the shortest chapters in the manual.

Kyle Rodgers

I wonder why in mine it doesn't seem to load it on the fly.  It did for sure on the ground but not on the fly.  Is there any way to erase those messages to enter info into the scratchpad.

Josh Scholl

Is there any way to erase those messages to enter info into the scratchpad.

The CLR button on the FMC.

Kyle Rodgers

That was the first thing I tried but as soon as it clears both messages pop up immediately giving me no chance to input anything into the scratch pad.

I really don't want to start a 14.5 hour flight all over again because of those FMC messages.

Josh Scholl

I really don't want to start a 14.5 hour flight all over again because of those FMC messages.

Your first guard against messages like this is proper cruise (and alternate/reserve) fuel prediction.  Make sure you do that next time.

For this time, however, try this:

-Click over to the INIT REF page (you should still be able to use the different page buttons, even though you can't enter data in the scratch pad).

-Click CLR

[This should give you at least a few seconds to work with before the next message pops up]

-Enter 0 in the scratch pad, and then place that into the RESERVES spot

The above is not recommended for normal procedures, but it will at least stop the messages for the current flight.

Kyle Rodgers

I even brought the altitude down to try and get the max altitude message to go away.

Josh Scholl

I had already changed to 0 on the reserves

I think I know the issue then.

First, you're not going to be able to fix it on this flight, because you'd have to kill FSX to make the changes.

This is a two part fix:

Part 1 - Make sure you're running FSX as an admin.  You can do this by right clicking whatever icon you use to start the program, and selecting properties.  In the properties pane, go to to the Compatibility tab.  Check the Run As Administrator box.  This will make sure the program always runs as an administrator in the future.  When you start the program next time, you may have to click Yes in a box that comes up.  This is normal.

(This should solve the issue where you're unable to adjust the fuel in the sim, along with some of the other issues you mentioned)

Part 2 - Make sure the load manager is being run as an admin.  Use the above steps, but do this on the load manager icon.

(This should solve the max altitude issue, because the weights are not being updated properly it seems)

Optional Part 3 (more of a double check) - Make sure you're not loading the plane in KGs, and entering LBS in the FMC.  If you're doing this, the systems will assume you're a lot heavier than you really are, which would cause the MAX ALT issue, among other things.  This normally causes other issues, too, however.

Kyle Rodgers

I will take a look into those options.  I know for a fact that the load manager was in LBS though.  I will report back when I try the other options out.

Josh Scholl

For now you can watch the PROGRESS page and verify the fuel prediction to your next waypoint. When arriving at the next waypoint, check your current fuel qty. If this is equal to the prediction then you know the prediction is correct and expect to land well within the range of fuel reserves (which I believe you must report a "fuel critical" on ATC contact and later on explain that to your Chief Pilot).

Now, if you confirm prediction is correct for at each of teh following waypoints (or close enough to be correct) verify with how much fuel you'll probably arrive at the airport just to know if that is enough too.

If not, deviate and pick up the flight later on from that airport.

So to make sure you can make the 14 hour trip focus on the prediction and not the messages.

That being said, take all advice in already giving in previous post, especially the reading part.

Good luck.