Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

Is There A Way To Repair FSX?

Is there any other way to repair FSX other than a uninstall/reinstall? My disk only presents the dreaded Uninstall option. God I hope there is a way.

Jon

I couldn't Repair with the FSX I bought online from Windows Live Marketplace; I picked up a cheapie FSX Gold DVD set for my new computer instead, and that has the Repair option within Control Panel, which, fortunately, I have not had to use.

Never been successful for me.   REINSTALL!

Stan

Jon, that entirely depends on just what is 'broken' on your FSX installation. Most of time it is a simple case of a config file being either overtweaked into death...

...or a corrupted fsx.cfg file. Since you really have nothing to lose at this point anyway, try renaming your fsx.cfg file then launch FSX and let it build a fresh, virgin copy...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jon, that entirely depends on just what is 'broken' on your FSX installation. Most of time it is a simple case of a config file being either overtweaked into death...

...or a corrupted fsx.cfg file. Since you really have nothing to lose at this point anyway, try renaming your fsx.cfg file then launch FSX and let it build a fresh, virgin copy...

PMDG Livery Manager is not identifying the FSX Root folder which is on a 250gb partition on another drive. The second 250gb partition has P3D. Estonian Migration Tool is on the C: Drive and maybe it's confusing things. Ah well. Re-Install time. On that: I have the deluxe edition with acceleration. I realise I'll need to patch the Deluxe edition to upgrade it but is it really necessary to install acceleration? Does it have any advantages?

Jon

You may try using Flight ones registry repair tool. The P3d migrator can, if not used carefully, wack the FSX installation. It usually has to do with the Appdata folder. I keep a spare for just such occasions.

I know that after some addon or another corrupted needed files for the Nth time, I finally made a complete backup of my fsx folder so I could replace damaged.... whatevers.  It didn't always save me from a full re-install, but did often enough to make it worthwhile.

Especially after things like deleting unneighborly third party stuff that that just wouldn't go quietly.  :mellow:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This just gets better and better. There is a saying I know: "God smiles, when men make plans". In my case he's rofling. I'm about to do a complete re-install of the os. There is no known way, in this universe, to rid myself of a non-existent FSX Install. Which brings yet another question:

I'm doing it on a ssd drive. My first one. Anything to be wary of?
This all started as an attempt to run P3D and FSX on seperate partitions on the same drive. Unfortunately, the brand new hdd has a bad address. Gangs of fun. I've invented new words.

Jon

You may try using Flight ones registry repair tool. The P3d migrator can, if not used carefully, wack the FSX installation. It usually has to do with the Appdata folder. I keep a spare for just such occasions.

Ooh Ooh, I didn't see this before. I'll try it.

Yup. Gave that a go. There comes a time with these infernal contraptions, where it's just easier to start again.

Jon

Next time make backup. I use Acronis true image 2011, the best in my opinion. And it saves me a couple of times :) 

PMDG Livery Manager is not identifying the FSX Root folder which is on a 250gb partition on another drive. The second 250gb partition has P3D. Estonian Migration Tool is on the C: Drive and maybe it's confusing things. Ah well. Re-Install time. On that: I have the deluxe edition with acceleration. I realise I'll need to patch the Deluxe edition to upgrade it but is it really necessary to install acceleration? Does it have any advantages?

Jon

I may be wrong here but I believe with Acceleration you get SimConnect, latest version then extant.  Some add-on software will not work without it (Nemeth Designs claims this) and yet doesn't provide it as part of the install (far be it from me to judge the whys and wherefores of which with what).

I'd install Acceleration as well, just to be safe.

I'd install Acceleration as well, just to be safe.
I believe you're right. Simconnect has left its imovable footprint in my add/remove programs which is attempting to deal with a corrupt registry. Nuke time. I have Active Sky Evolution which uses Simconnect.

Jon

Next time make backup. I use Acronis true image 2011, the best in my opinion. And it saves me a couple of times :) 

You are soooo right. This must never happen again. I hope Macrium Reflect works but I normally do a repair disk with each virgin install. I could blow my brains out I didn't do it this time. That way I could have made it factory fresh without the drama.

Jon

It's taken 10 hours but all the info is in its own folder on a central drive and virtually nothing is on other drives or systems. There is some seriously good news too. I found a trial of a nifty little program Revo Uninstaller, which successfully banished FSX and other extraneous programs from my add/remove programs list. FSX will now allow me to reinstall it. Without a os reinstall. There is a God. He knows how many times lately I have beseeched his divine guidance.

Jon

The registry: yet another horrible idea brought to you by the folks living near Mt. Rainier, may it blow any day now. ;)