Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Pre-order questions....

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions, as I am seriously considering jumping into (finally realized....) a 64 bit-enabled flight simulator.

Here are my system specs;

W7 64 bit Ultimate O.S.

CPU  i7-975 extreme over clocked and stable, to 4.2 GHz.

12 GB's of 1600 MHz system RAM

Single GTX 680 overclock Signature edition (with a slight bump in oc from the oc that it comes shipped with.

1 1TB Velociraptor 10,000 RPM HD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the system stated, I can stay and keep a constant 30 FPS with FSX totally slider-maxed, except for Clouds set to 60 miles as OPUS completely populates the sky at this setting. I also have A.I. set to what most generally say is a good saturation, but keeps things FPS'ing along.

So, with the preamble over with, can I with this above stated system basically max out visual settings within Xplane 10 in 64 bit mode?  Also, what sustained FPS figure could I expect to realize?  Second question, if in posted replies, it would seem that I can not expect to run the sim full out (HDR, ect) with smooth performance, then exactly in your opinion, what simulator settings in a range of 0-100 percent as a figure, COULD I expect to achieve that would give a very good and satisfying visual, and in-operation experience?  I am most interested to finally have a piece of flight simulation software that will recognize a 64 bit operating environment...and make full use of my systems assets!!!  Looking forward to your responses. Until then, will sit on the Xplane 10 side-line and mull over this....  With thanks,

Post edit comment: I just saw some max'ed out vids, and Xplane looks impressive!  No FPS counters in any of them though.  How large is the 8 DVD complete world install HD footprint?

Ses

Maybe not...

BUT...

X-Plane's visual details are generationally improved over FSX (more autogen, better use of shaders and such), so maxing your sliders in X-Plane is a totally different ball game than maxing them in FSX. You will be able to match or beat FSX's visual details at similar or better performance.

Note that there seems to be a small groundswell of people regressing to the 32-bit version of X-Plane 10 because it may perform better for them on their systems. (*Keep in mind 64-bit only really gives more memory headroom, and doesn't improve performance)

Be sure to try out the demo! It's the best way to evaluate how X-Plane 10 will perform for you on your system!

-Greg

Maybe not...

BUT...

X-Plane's visual details are generationally improved over FSX (more autogen, better use of shaders and such), so maxing your sliders in X-Plane is a totally different ball game than maxing them in FSX. You will be able to match or beat FSX's visual details at similar or better performance.

Note that there seems to be a small groundswell of people regressing to the 32-bit version of X-Plane 10 because it may perform better for them on their systems. (*Keep in mind 64-bit only really gives more memory headroom, and doesn't improve performance)

Be sure to try out the demo! It's the best way to evaluate how X-Plane 10 will perform for you on your system!

-Greg

Thanks for the response, Greg. I have tried to download the demo a few times, but it keeps dropping speed until it would be 130 min's and more. I just deleted it after about a 20 percent download. I guess that I will have to fire it up and let it run during the night...

You say that some have moved back to a 32 bit .exe? I wonder how that would give them a better system performance, if they do indeed have a 64 bit O.S.? You'd think that allowing Xplane 10 to utilize your entire RAM pool and multi-cores on the CPU, would bolster, rather than diminish the performance, would you not?!?? Hmmm......

I probably will bite the bullet and order. I guess, that after viewing quite a few youtube videos, etc...that Xplane 10 is ready for enjoyment-prime time. I am also more than curious to see for myself what running a 64 bit-enabled flight sim is about.....

Thanks for the difference in stating what running the settings on an older coded flight sim like FSX, will be, in regards to Xplane 10. What you posted makes sense....

Ses

You say that some have moved back to a 32 bit .exe? I wonder how that would give them a better system performance, if they do indeed have a 64 bit O.S.? You'd think that allowing Xplane 10 to utilize your entire RAM pool and multi-cores on the CPU, would bolster, rather than diminish the performance, would you not?!?? Hmmm......

XP10 does leverage a multicore system (*and GPU's) better than older sims, but the 64-bit part really just opens up the memory pool. Unless you have VERY low amounts, the amount of memory available to the sim isn't generally to benefit performance, but rather a "complexity" of things. More memory lets you use/display more complex things, but it doesn't improve how fast anything is shown... (*if that makes sense?)

The 64-bit capabilities within XP10 are still relatively new - perhaps there are some system optimizations which have yet to be done on the 64-bit exe vs. the 32-bit one which are contributing to things. I'm not sure... I don't fly with XP10 enough to really make the comparison.  In addition, I don't think the 64-vs-32 performance items have yet risen to the attention of Laminar Research either... it's still quite early.

If you can swing the demo download, I'd still (strongly) recommend doing so prior to purchase. X-Plane is a different world from what you're likely used to and the demo can help set your expectations, and you can use the latest and greatest version!

Good luck!

-Greg

If you can swing the demo download, I'd still (strongly) recommend doing so prior to purchase. X-Plane is a different world from what you're likely used to and the demo can help set your expectations, and you can use the latest and greatest version!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok Greg, sold.  I'll download and do just that...see if my interest is there.  I did see a full-out vid of an approach with global scenery, and I have to tell ya...it looked good for non-3rd party application.  The road traffic viewed on the approach totally outclasses anything viewed within FSX. THAT is for sure, lol! Those types of cue-sets have import to myself. They 'allow' me to feel the real-world setting....

As for GLOBAL coverage, It's not ORBX...but it isn't a show-stopper either.  Since I have not at all, researched what 3rd party scenery packages there are for XP10...I'll have to do so asap.  Thanks for the comebacks...

Ses

How large is the 8 DVD complete world install HD footprint?

About 68 gigs!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

You'll be very satisfied with your system with 64bit XP10... i7 975 it's still very powerfull CPU for XP10.21! 680 is a great GPU too. Go ahead and try XP10 with HDR and lots of sliders to the max. Be careful with visibility (IMHO <12sm is still realistic), water reflections (none or medium) and cloud complexity (start from 10%). But after some time consuming fine tuning you'll get very good results (day >30, night >40fps). Based on 5x full HD monitors setup... and good 5870 2GB GPU, 680 is quite faster but can't handle >3 monitors.      

You'll be very satisfied with your system with 64bit XP10... i7 975 it's still very powerfull CPU for XP10.21! 680 is a great GPU too. Go ahead and try XP10 with HDR and lots of sliders to the max. Be careful with visibility (IMHO <12sm is still realistic), water reflections (none or medium) and cloud complexity (start from 10%). But after some time consuming fine tuning you'll get very good results (day >30, night >40fps). Based on 5x full HD monitors setup... and good 5870 2GB GPU, 680 is quite faster but can't handle >3 monitors.      

ARTI,  I just came back to this thread to post to you, that I have indeed ordered the package, as per my DEMO usage.  In fact, I have everything, including HDR enabled at all times, and the performance is stellar. Yes, the i7-975 at 4.2 GHz handles things nicely. Can't wait for the rest of the world sometime next week!

Welcome onboard Ses!

If you want highest quality scenery please check out Truscenery.com, freeware: aerobridge.moonfruit.com

regards

arti