Sign in to follow this  
Sunaru

Having problems with the Q400

Hey everyone,

I bought the Q400, and although all systems seem to work and I can get it airbone, I'm having 2 additional issues other than the "Q400 bouncing about problem" and the sound fading other people reported.

1 - I can't use the the Q400's control panel. All options under "Calculate", as well as "Send Data to Flight Sim" are unusable. The numbers, as well as the "SUMM" section in the Baggage part all read XXXX and the option to send the data to FSX is greyed out. What could cause this, and more importantly, how can I solve it?
2 - Even on the ground, at cold & dark, the Q400 shows a G rating of +0,5. When my plane ascends, it apparently reaches weightlessness/zero gravity. Again, how is this caused, and how can I solve it?

2b - The plane's engines seem really overpowered. If I don't get the throttle idle EXACTLY, the plane rapidly moves backwards or starts to accelerates forward gently. Is this the normal MO for a Q400? Are the engines really that strong? I've heard the wind generation (I don't know the proper term) of the propellers is so strong that the plane tilts left if it's not corrected by rudder trim, so I'm presuming this is normal and not an error.

Some details that might help:

- I only have FSX + Acceleration installed. No SDK or anything else. I've read something about it needing to use SimConnect, but I don't even have the slightest clue as to what that is...
- I use (since today) REX.
- There's a version of FSUIPC installed that came with my QW Avro pack, but isn't fully functional. 

If you need more details, I'll be glad to provide. Any help to get me fly this magnificent plane properly would be hugely appreciated. 

Thanks in advance to any kind souls willing to help me out.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Some bits that may be helpful:

1. Make sure when using the control panel that the aircraft is loaded into the sim and the sim is not paused. I had this trouble initially but realized the option "Pause Sim on Task Switch" option was enabled (checked) in the Options --> General menu of FSX. This must be UNCHECKED for the manager to send data to FSX. Also, you have to fill in at least the "T/O Fuel" and "Trip Fuel" for "Calculate" to be available. You can calculate your loads, balance, etc. without the sim running, but you won't be able to send the data to the A/C until it is loaded and you are sitting in the cockpit.

2. I think you can pretty much ignore anything FSX is telling you about your aircraft. The FDE for the MJC Dash 8 is completely outside FSX and therefore I don't think FSX know how to handle what is going on with the aircraft. It was the only way for MJC to create such an accurate turboprop sim.

3. Play around with the calibration in the control panel "Engine Controls" to make your "Disc" range larger. That makes handling on the ground much easier, IMO. I have it set so that reverse isn't even achievable on my controller since DISC is a strong enough "air brake" that it will sufficiently slow the aircraft during taxi/after landing.

As for simconnect. I can guarantee you have it because if you didn't, the Dash wouldn't function at all. I'm fairly certain all the communication between FSX and the Dash is through simconnect since the FDE is outside FSX...the only viable way for data to get from outside to inside FSX is through simconnect.

I hope some of this helps. I promise you that once you spend some time setting the aircraft up and getting it how you like it, you will really LOVE it. I have only had time for one complete flight, but I can tell you this add-on is right at the top.

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the fast reply. I did post on AVSIM before posting to the Majestic forums. I got the control panel working and tweaked my settings. However, the fading sound is really annoying. Does anyone know of a fix to keep the sound after the (approx) 10 minute mark?

The sound issue is very well covered in other posts in this section. (Try some searching).

In short, you can avoid the sound cutting out after 10 minutes, by doing either of these workarounds:-

1. When setting up a flight, do not use the FSX Flight Planner or FSX ATC. (the sound will not cut out if you don't use these).

Or,

2. If you wish to use the FSX Flight Planner and/or FSX ATC, simply set up your full flight, (airport, flight plan, fuel, etc) and load it in FSX. Now SAVE the flight. Now exit FSX and restart, and LOAD the flight that you just saved. Now, the sound will magically not cut off.
:wink:

Cheers.

Ah, but you see, I do search before asking things.  :rolleyes: 
I checked both AVSIM and Majestic's forum as well and tried the set up and & save trick 5 times. It didn't work. Based on the reports I've read on Majestic's forum, it appears to only be a guaranteed fix for Win7 64 bit users. And flying the Dash-8 without ATC/Flight plan seems.... silly.

Just to chime in, the only way I could fix this issue for me was to downgrade to Windows 7. Absolutely nothing I tried worked in Windows 8 and I spent hours searching, this included

- Using a saved flight, not using the built in flight planner etc.

- Setting speaker configuration to 2.1

- Disabling ATC sound.

- Updating DirectX etc.

I also had a similar problem with the joystick just disconnecting after a few minutes. Lots of googling found this a common problem, and as of yet no fix. None of the suggestions posted work.

There's a work around for the disconnecting joystick by running it through FSUIPC. Just like the save/load solution is a work around as well. The sound problem (nor the disconnecting joystick problem), has been met with no official solution by Majestic/Microsoft respectively. Although, in Majestic's defense, the Service Pack they're rolling out apparently deals with the sound problems, based on the description.

Ah, but you see, I do search before asking things. :rolleyes:

I checked both AVSIM and Majestic's forum as well and tried the set up and & save trick 5 times. It didn't work. Based on the reports I've read on Majestic's forum, it appears to only be a guaranteed fix for Win7 64 bit users. And flying the Dash-8 without ATC/Flight plan seems.... silly.

Ok, well, I was only trying to help you, in taking the time to give that solution (perhaps you missed that intent :wink:), as I had the same problem as you; and this solution cured it.

I do use Win 7 64 bit, so perhaps you're right and it only works on that OS.

DC6, I know you were, hence the emoticon. It wasn't meant in an insulting way towards you, but rather to show you that I've been trying anything I could think of to get that beautiful roar of those 2 PW150A engines in my room.  :lol: 

Anyway, I've been looking at all the people that said the fix works, they're nearly all W7 64bit users, so I'm guessing it's (again) something with Windows 8. Early adapters never get rewarded, as far as software goes...  :P