Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FS9 is STILL the #1 flight simulator for 'heavy' operations!

I'm just paused in flight a half hour departed from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and headed for Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada.

FS9 (of course, in my personal opinion...) STILL gives the best visual rendering of colors and scenery output that you do see operating in the real-world FL's.  Because FS9 will never exhaust its 32 bit VAS limit, you know that you will touch down, even 12 continuous hours flight, in real time. No FSX'ish CTD or OOM in this simulator! This fact alone would never have me delete it off of my hard drive, or not fire it up, for 'heavy' operations. It is simply too good at what it does...

FS9 is not old, will never be old, and again, gives the user a fantastic commercial/heavy user session, when loaded up with all the great, and mature 3rd party support programs out there for it.  You'd think that there would be no new visual tricks, I could see in using it...but that is not true.  Since having put a GTX 680 card into my system, and with some mod'ed settings to nVidia Inspector putting Anisotropic settings to 16 (you don't have in-app anisotropic options, but can drive your card with this setting via N.I.) and SG at 4x, it appears to be a whole new sim, yet again. The visuals are real-world for any flight level operation that I have ever seen. The colors are more life-like than anything you can ever get in FSX. It simply is the truth in that. FSX's color still, no matter what you do, has that cartoonish pastel quality to it.  FS9 with 3rd party scenery packages looks the part of being viewed at FL180 and up.  It's too bad that water depictions are not up to the same 'snuff'' as the land tiles, but it is what it is.  FSX will always be the clear winner for water operations and viewing.  So...back into the cockpit of the WestJet  737...I have to get there on-time.  Some good seafood is waiting for us out of the Bay of Fundy!

Bottom line, if you own FS9, FSX, and also Xplane (x)....use 'em!  Keep using them for each strength segment they shine at. If you are a true sim-head, there should be no user-camps...just fire up the sim that best emulates the flight or visuals you wish in your session. My two..ok,ok...ten cents... 

Cheers!

Ses

Don't be discouraged by the lack of responses. Most of, if not all, people in this sub forum are pleased with your thoughts.

I have recently got back into fs9 after a 5 year break. I keep thinking about upgrading to fsx but with addons for fs9 I can make It look visually attractive enough whilst maintaining a constant smooth fps and no worries about crashing. Most of the payware still appeals to me both systems and visual wise (my favourite heavy Is the 747 and pmdg did a great job of that for fs9) so at least until the v2 comes out I will not be spending the best part of a thousand pounds just to play fsx.

Don't get me wrong, I will likely have fsx eventually but fs9 is so simple and free of issues for the casual ish user with little free time to tweak and build that I cannot feel the need to upgrade.

Fs9 will always be the most stable and functional version to me.

"FS9 is Still the #1 Flight Simulator for "Heavy" Operations!"

I have to agree.  Being a 250-pound kind of guy, I find FS9 gives me that smooth, relaxing sensation.  FSX, on the other hand, makes me queasy and woozy with a harsh and bitter aftertaste.

......so......I highly recommend FS9 - Choice of us "heavies".

Although I use FSX 90% of the time, I do still own and love FS9 and use it for a couple of airplanes that never made it to FSX.

But, to be balanced, and look at the other side.... when flying FS9, I find myself really missing these :-

- AccuFeel... (movement, sounds, immersion)

- OPUS.... (mainly for the weather, but also the dynamic head movements, that are soooo immersive, especially with track IR)

- Aircraft: NGX, AXE, and now Q400.

.......there are certainly perfectly good scenery options for FS9; I would say at least as good as FSX, and I agree about FS9s stability, which is 50,000 times better than FSX (or P3D which CTDs constantly for me!).

But boy, do I miss AccuFeel and OPUS in FS9. :(

I agree.  FS9 is incredible when flying heavies.  100% ai aircrafts at Barajas and other major hubs and waiting in line for take off is really something.  Same thing with arrivals.  All this with silky smooth fps.

I even find myself using FS9 now for vfr with the default Cessna Skyline.

I also have FSX with REX, UT2, GEX, UTX, etc and I rarely touch it anymore.  I don't get crashes and ctd's on FSX.  My installation is stable.  I've managed to find the settings that give me good results because I want the Just Flight L-1011, but everytime I fire up FS9, I no longer feel the need to go back to FSX.

I'm just paused in flight a half hour departed from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, and headed for Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada.

FS9 (of course, in my personal opinion...) STILL gives the best visual rendering of colors and scenery output that you do see operating in the real-world FL's.  Because FS9 will never exhaust its 32 bit VAS limit, you know that you will touch down, even 12 continuous hours flight, in real time. No FSX'ish CTD or OOM in this simulator! This fact alone would never have me delete it off of my hard drive, or not fire it up, for 'heavy' operations. It is simply too good at what it does...

FS9 is not old, will never be old, and again, gives the user a fantastic commercial/heavy user session, when loaded up with all the great, and mature 3rd party support programs out there for it.  You'd think that there would be no new visual tricks, I could see in using it...but that is not true.  Since having put a GTX 680 card into my system, and with some mod'ed settings to nVidia Inspector putting Anisotropic settings to 16 (you don't have in-app anisotropic options, but can drive your card with this setting via N.I.) and SG at 4x, it appears to be a whole new sim, yet again. The visuals are real-world for any flight level operation that I have ever seen. The colors are more life-like than anything you can ever get in FSX. It simply is the truth in that. FSX's color still, no matter what you do, has that cartoonish pastel quality to it.  FS9 with 3rd party scenery packages looks the part of being viewed at FL180 and up.  It's too bad that water depictions are not up to the same 'snuff'' as the land tiles, but it is what it is.  FSX will always be the clear winner for water operations and viewing.  So...back into the cockpit of the WestJet  737...I have to get there on-time.  Some good seafood is waiting for us out of the Bay of Fundy!

Bottom line, if you own FS9, FSX, and also Xplane (x)....use 'em!  Keep using them for each strength segment they shine at. If you are a true sim-head, there should be no user-camps...just fire up the sim that best emulates the flight or visuals you wish in your session. My two..ok,ok...ten cents... 

Cheers!

Ses

The very reason I still use FS9.  I'm a big airliner simmer.  FS9.75 is not that far from FSX.  It's great to help people today discover how to set it up right with ENB and various add-ons to bring the best out of the sim. 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'm also using FS9 only because I use the Posky/PSS Merge 777-200 as my daily driver. However, once the PMDG 777 becomes available, I'm sure that I'll be reinstalling FSX! :)

umu7y2u5.jpg

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

At the moment in my opinion fs9 is the best flight simulator with all addons that are avalible. My FSX cd´s are in the shelf but I will never use them again. I am hoping that Prepar3d will put fsx up to a new level in the future, then maybe I will buy there sim. 

FS9.75! We up to that are we? Is that with sweetfx?

Maybe if we had some HD terrain to replace the default, we could go to 9.8. :)

Here's what you need:

1. Flight1's Ground Environment Pro

2. ENB

3. Rex Environment Textures (brightest sky texture with ENB)

4. Zinertech's Water

5. Zinertech's Airport Environment

6. SweetFX in you can get it to run with ENB.

I found an add-on that updated the trees in FS9 that really helps but you have to be careful to get the right package.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Here's what you need:

1. Flight1's Ground Environment Pro

2. ENB

3. Rex Environment Textures (brightest sky texture with ENB)

4. Zinertech's Water

5. Zinertech's Airport Environment

6. SweetFX in you can get it to run with ENB.

I found an add-on that updated the trees in FS9 that really helps but you have to be careful to get the right package.

Dillon, I have always felt that FS9's water is in the suck-fest zone. Everything else is most excellent for the year it was coded.  Does buying Zinertech's Water 'take care of business visually' for lakes, streams, ocean bodies?  I mean, does it bring it up to some sort of FSX'ish, or XP10 levels?

If so, I'd get it.  I'll wait on a detailed comment from you.  As I stated in my O.P., I will never, no matter how many years go by, delete my installation of FS9.  There is simply no compelling reason to.  I have just purchased X-Plane v10, and in fact, it just 'landed' on my doorstep, my wife so tells me, lol.  I have been enjoying immensely that product's demo, and will welcome the full version into the fold...but FS9, is a classic, is a winner, and it can put a smooth flying plane into the virtual sky on practically ANYBODY's system. You have to love that fact!  We all do.....(large grin).

Please get back to me, a detailed A/B comparison of FS9 with Zinertech's Water product, if you could.  That would be the last 'unfinished business' I still have with FS9.....

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

I'll chip in, having installed every water mod ever created, starting with Flight Environment way back:

Others may come close, or in some circumstances even match it; but Zinertech Water is still the one.