Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FS9 is STILL the #1 flight simulator for 'heavy' operations!

I have a problem with REX water textures. They seem to end at about 100nm from my position and the texture tiles begin to border onto default tiles. I ticked extended terrain textures but at FL380 i could still see the low-res default textures in the distance. The contrast is unbearable.

I'll chip in, having installed every water mod ever created, starting with Flight Environment way back:

Others may come close, or in some circumstances even match it; but Zinertech Water is still the one.

WingZ...can you give me your reason, why visually, you find Z.W. appealing?  Use please, regular non-3rd party FS9 water textures as your base comparison. What does Z.W. do for water visuals, from lift off, to the FL's? 

Thanks

Mitch  

Dillon, I have always felt that FS9's water is in the suck-fest zone. Everything else is most excellent for the year it was coded.  Does buying Zinertech's Water 'take care of business visually' for lakes, streams, ocean bodies?  I mean, does it bring it up to some sort of FSX'ish, or XP10 levels?

If so, I'd get it.  I'll wait on a detailed comment from you.  As I stated in my O.P., I will never, no matter how many years go by, delete my installation of FS9.  There is simply no compelling reason to.  I have just purchased X-Plane v10, and in fact, it just 'landed' on my doorstep, my wife so tells me, lol.  I have been enjoying immensely that product's demo, and will welcome the full version into the fold...but FS9, is a classic, is a winner, and it can put a smooth flying plane into the virtual sky on practically ANYBODY's system. You have to love that fact!  We all do.....(large grin).

Please get back to me, a detailed A/B comparison of FS9 with Zinertech's Water product, if you could.  That would be the last 'unfinished business' I still have with FS9.....

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Mitch the best way I can describe Zinertech's Water texture is FSX water without the reflections.  I've played around with different water textures (REX to name one) and nothing comes close to what Zinertech gives you in FS9.  You have to see it in the sim to know what I'm talking about.  Here's an old pic I like to use to show it's cool effect:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

5. Zinertech's Airport Environment

Wow!  Just took a look at it on simmarket.  The buildings look fantastic, especially at night.  I will be getting this.  Thanks Dillon.

As for Zinertek water.. I have to agree.  It's way better than default and I much prefer it over REX water. 

FS9 water will pulsate when set to max, but Zinertek shows minimal pulsation compared to REX.  The reflections on REX water drives me nuts. Zinertek all the way!

H2O water looks pretty interesting.  I may give that one a shot too.

I have used FS9 for a long time and no matter what addons came for FSX I always used to stick up with fs9.. However what changed my mind was the ground texture quality.It was so low that it looked like garbage while flying at low altitudes and I never used to realize that before unless I flew for real and watched Realworldflying videos on youtube..

However with Ultimate terrain addons and some special sky effects with ENB it really looked gorgeous..

For me ground details matter as much ! On the other hand fsx has a decent ground details BUT far from reality(unless you use addons limted to USA/EUR) on some areas like asia it looks very poor.. Even if you fly at 6000 feet with clear weather you can see copy/pasted textures that looks very ugly .

Now most of the addons like AXE,FSL,NGX are opted for FSX only - Airsimmer  Advance is (X_X) . This community was claiming a realistic bus for FS9 but at the end it did not worked out at all.. Not to repeat that wooff~

1y329d.jpg

Although I use FSX 90% of the time, I do still own and love FS9 and use it for a couple of airplanes that never made it to FSX.

But, to be balanced, and look at the other side.... when flying FS9, I find myself really missing these :-

- AccuFeel... (movement, sounds, immersion)

- OPUS.... (mainly for the weather, but also the dynamic head movements, that are soooo immersive, especially with track IR)

- Aircraft: NGX, AXE, and now Q400.

.......there are certainly perfectly good scenery options for FS9; I would say at least as good as FSX, and I agree about FS9s stability, which is 50,000 times better than FSX (or P3D which CTDs constantly for me!).

But boy, do I miss AccuFeel and OPUS in FS9. :(

If those were available in FS9! I would downgrade!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I am still wondering with all this enthusiasm and preference, does the market share really that small and the chasm is big enough to make the devs stop supporting fs9? I see more and more similar threads regarding fs9 positivity emerging on this forum

Mitch the best way I can describe Zinertech's Water texture is FSX water without the reflections.  I've played around with different water textures (REX to name one) and nothing comes close to what Zinertech gives you in FS9.  You have to see it in the sim to know what I'm talking about.  Here's an old pic I like to use to show it's cool effect:

THAT'S FS9?!?!?!?   Wow...I'm certainly going to look into this.  Thanks for the pic, Dillon

Well, I just bought:

Zinertech's Advanced Water

Zinertech's Airport Environment

Both programs came to 23 Euros

Now..to go for a flight and see what this is all about.  :)

-----------------------------

Post Edit, okee-dokee, the advanced water program did the trick. It finished off the look! Good stuff, and inexpensive to buy.  I'll have to see more default airports and their being spruced up by the environment program....to make a comment.

Mitch

sidh, on 09 May 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

I have used FS9 for a long time and no matter what addons came for FSX I always used to stick up with fs9.. However what changed my mind was the ground texture quality.It was so low that it looked like garbage while flying at low altitudes and I never used to realize that before unless I flew for real and watched Realworldflying videos on youtube..

However with Ultimate terrain addons and some special sky effects with ENB it really looked gorgeous..

For me ground details matter as much ! On the other hand fsx has a decent ground details BUT far from reality(unless you use addons limted to USA/EUR) on some areas like asia it looks very poor.. Even if you fly at 6000 feet with clear weather you can see copy/pasted textures that looks very ugly .

Now most of the addons like AXE,FSL,NGX are opted for FSX only - Airsimmer Advance is (X_X) . This community was claiming a realistic bus for FS9 but at the end it did not worked out at all.. Not to repeat that wooff~

When someone figures out the ground texture problem in FS9 the difference between FSX and FS9 becomes that much more of a grey area. Yes FSX is more advanced but the option to use FS9 and have it look almost exactly like FSX for those with less capable machines (or not tech savy) would be a great option. Carenado has proven the visuals once thought only possible in FSX with VC graphics is possible in FS9 as well (actually many of us knew that already). Concerning higher res city textures, I know it can be done in FS9 because I've seen this accomplished with smaller add-on scenery areas like FlightZone's Portland (actually I've seen it done better than that I just can't recall the sceneries as I'm at work. Aerosoft has products where the ground scenery around airports has FSX type resolution).

How does Zinerteks runway/ taxiway textures compare to Rex's?

I like REX's options better.

FS2020 

Do you also have REX?

I do!

How does Zinerteks runway/ taxiway textures compare to Rex's?

I can say that REX's in my viewpoint is better, but it is nice to have additional airport buildings and other structure in the many default areas.

Ok cool. I'll look at Zinerteks Water for sure. Supprised though there is no real fix for the REX water pulse.

Yeah...it is what it is, but Zinertech's water does give it a close FSX look.  That's all I wanted. The wave pulse is built into the FS9 engine. The airport environment adds a nice touch to default, by adding main, and out-buildings to the mix.  All in all, FS9 is pretty well now, locked down for myself....good deal!

Mitch

Sesquashtoo, on 09 May 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

Yeah...it is what it is, but Zinertech's water does give it a close FSX look. That's all I wanted. The wave pulse is built into the FS9 engine. The airport environment adds a nice touch to default, by adding main, and out-buildings to the mix. All in all, FS9 is pretty well now, locked down for myself....good deal!

Mitch

Welcome to 'FS9.75'.

FS2020 

I am still wondering with all this enthusiasm and preference, does the market share really that small and the chasm is big enough to make the devs stop supporting fs9? I see more and more similar threads regarding fs9 positivity emerging on this forum

Yes, the market is that small and it is the same small number of users that post in similar threads. They love their FS9 setups and there is nothing wrong with that!