Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

I thought this was a brilliant idea, instead of running a night shift, send your employees to New Zealand

A UK based Call Centre recognized it's employees didn't like working the nightshift, so instead they offered to send employees to New Zealand to work the day shift there when it is night time in the UK.

They are offered a one year contract to work in New Zealand on a 4 day on, 4 day off work schedule that will allow them to travel during the time off. What a great way to see the world instead of what would otherwise be a dull job working the Night Shift in the UK...Call Centre is a hard job so I thought this was great incentive.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/8628172/UK-call-centre-sends-staff-downunder

Matthew Kane

That really is pretty darn clever! With the relatively low cost of VOIP these days, the communications expense shouldn't be overwhelming either.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Takapuna or Wrexham. Let me think about that for a second.... ;-)

My company (consulting engineers) used to send AutoCad drawings to our associates in Australia at the end of the UK working day via the web. They were worked on there and returned to us by the start of the next working day.

Open 24 hours, but not at night. :good:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

My company (consulting engineers) used to send AutoCad drawings to our associates in Australia at the end of the UK working day via the web. They were worked on there and returned to us by the start of the next working day.

Lots of companies have followed and still follow that 24 hour development cycle.  Developed over here 8-5, developed in India or Russia 5-8...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I just like the 'Think Outside The Box' approach to making a menial situation better. This was a very good initiative. 

Matthew Kane

I just like the 'Think Outside The Box' approach to making a menial situation better. This was a very good initiative. 

I agree, sadly over here the answer is if you don't want to work night-shift there are 100 people who do so thank you have a nice day and good luck in the future....

Personally I liked how IBM used to do it for us.  Swing shifts!  We used to be able whatever 9 hours (with break) or 8 hours without a break straight through we wanted as long as our work got done.  They didn't care about our specific hours just our total hours and that the work got done!  My favorite was a 6a-2p straight...  Those 6a-8a hours before everyone else came in were by far the most productive of the day...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

In the US, we don't send the people overseas, just the jobs.  For my last lost-luggage experience with DELTA (Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive) I talked with US-based service agents during the day, but at night all I could get a hold of was script-readers who insisted that I give them the zip code of the hotel, rather than dealing with where the bags were.  Directions to the Huntsville Sheraton, by the way, are "walk down to the other end of the terminal and go up the stairs."

In the US, we don't send the people overseas, just the jobs.  For my last lost-luggage experience with DELTA (Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive) I talked with US-based service agents during the day, but at night all I could get a hold of was script-readers who insisted that I give them the zip code of the hotel, rather than dealing with where the bags were.  Directions to the Huntsville Sheraton, by the way, are "walk down to the other end of the terminal and go up the stairs."

B.O.A.C. Better on a Camel

P.I.A. Please Inform Allah

Ansett Chance it with Ansett.

Jon

Captain_Barfbag, on 05 May 2013 - 02:42 AM, said:

In the US, we don't send the people overseas

The USA has many EXPATS around the world for over 50 years now, Have you never heard of the term Expatriate before???

Matthew Kane

The USA has more EXPATS around the world then anyone for over 50 years now, this is because of a lack of trust in anyone else managing American interests.

Have you never heard of the term Expatriate before???

I was referring to the practice of "off-shoring" of jobs from the US, not of people themselves leaving voluntarily.  As US labor costs rise, many companies have closed their operations here and opened facilities in Asia.  Computer companies, in particular, staff their call centers in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh.  I do model trains, and most of our models are now made in China.

A friend was offered a relocation package when his project moved from Boston to Ireland, with a salary reduction to match the wages they were going to pay over there.  He turned them down.  "Exporting jobs" is contributing to the stubbornly high unemployment here.