Sign in to follow this  
lowew79

V speeds?

Hi,

I've been flying this plane for a while and its going well, except that I still cant get a handle on V speeds.  I realize this is more of a general pilot question, not really about the F33A.

So I've heard that V speeds are based on many factors and that most POH's include charts to figure them out.  I know that V1 is too late to stop, Vr is when you lift the nose gently, and V2 is supposed to be minimum speed at 35 feet (or is V2 safe single engine climb speed?). 

Anyway when I look at the POH, I don't see anywhere that say "V1" or "Vr" or "V2".  But I DO see "lift off speed 71 kts", and "50 feet speed 77 kts".

Would it be safe to assume that Lift off speed is the same as Vr?  And that 50 feet speed is the same as V2?. 

Similarly, I see the Landing approach speed flaps down is 70 kts.  Makes sense, but at what speed do you lower the flaps without the gear?  I assume you lower them to the first setting at a certain speed, and then lower them the rest of the way at a certain speed as well?

OK and finally the reason I ask is twofold, to learn about how the real plane works, AND because I fly with FSPassengers, and I'd like to avoid speed penalties.

Thanks.

simple is short, V1 is your commit speed. VR is your rotate speed and as you said, v2 is your engine out minimum climb speed. This speed is usually attained at 35ft with an engine out.  On most aircraft, V2 pus 10 is attained at 35ft all engine. There is a lift off speed, but normally not computed. This speed is also refered to as unstick speed. This is the speed that the aircraft will leave the ground during rotation.

On landing, most aircraft have minimum maneuver speeds for flap configuration. These speeds give you atleast 30 degrees of bank protection. These speeds and flap configurations are based on the stage of approach you are flying. Some of the speeds/configurations are driven by the POH while on some aircraft its driven by technique.  In my current jet, technique wise we use 2,4,6,8. Flaps 10 by 8 miles(200kts) flaps 20 by 6 miles(180kts) gear down by 4 miles and flaps landing by 2 miles(vref+5). 

These speeds are routinely used and computed for heavier class aircraft. In the airline world, V-speeds are usually computed by FMC's and/or company Weight & Balance computers. My old airline used a system called - "Accuload"

- Now here's a question for you - do you recommend FS Passengers for single and twin GA types? I thought FSP was really intended for Air Carrier ops.

Thanks / Les Parson

If you use FSPassengers in career mode, you have no choice but to use GA aircraft at first.  It works great for me, just no drink or food service, and you have to do the doors and stuff yourself instead of with a Flight attendant.

I understand the definitions of V speeds, I was wanting to know what the actual speeds are for this particular aircraft.  It doesn't have a FMC or a chart, all it has is what I told you in my OP.

ie V1 is XXX knots

VR is XXX knots

etc...

F33A V-Speeds (KIAS)

Vr (Rotation) - 78 (0 Flap normal); 66 (20 Deg Flap)

Vy (Best Rate of Climb) 96

Vx (Best Angle of Climb) 83

This is from the POH. Again, you're generally not going to find V1 and V2 with class of aircraft. Normal approach speed is 76 KIAS. Vfe (Max Flap) is 122 (full); 152 (approach flap). Vle (Gear extension) is 152. Stall speeds are based on max gross weight of 3400 lbs. and vary with landing config.

i hope this helps / Les Parson