Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Delayed texture loading - user aircraft and VC only

I have had a problem for a while that I simply cannot seem to solve. I have been having a problem with textures taking a long time to load, both with the user aircraft seen in chase view and the virtual cockpit. It doesn't seem to happen with scenery or AI aircraft. In the case of the VC it means that when I change to VC view, every now and then, all I get is blank textures with only the instruments showing. At the same time, when I switch to external view I either get completely blank textures or in many cases, the texture for the rear part of the fuselage is blank. It usually only lasts for about 15-30 seconds.

I have fiddled with my video card settings. I am using tried and reliable fs9.cfg settings that used to work perfectly and just to be sure, I used a backup to make sure that no settings had been accidentally changed.

I have also had some very slight pauses loading scenery textures but it is infrequent and probably not related to the problem described above.

Any ideas would be gratefully considered....

Ian

Sometimes i get this, but it only lasts a second or two. I added more memory recently and it stopped doing that completely, so maybe it is RAM related?

Only other obvious thing i can think of is something might be writing or reading from the disk in the background slowing the process of loading the textures data. I don't think FS9 caches these textures so when you swap views they have to be located and loaded again each time. 

system specs?

I have had a problem for a while that I simply cannot seem to solve. I have been having a problem with textures taking a long time to load, both with the user aircraft seen in chase view and the virtual cockpit. It doesn't seem to happen with scenery or AI aircraft. In the case of the VC it means that when I change to VC view, every now and then, all I get is blank textures with only the instruments showing. At the same time, when I switch to external view I either get completely blank textures or in many cases, the texture for the rear part of the fuselage is blank. It usually only lasts for about 15-30 seconds.

I have fiddled with my video card settings. I am using tried and reliable fs9.cfg settings that used to work perfectly and just to be sure, I used a backup to make sure that no settings had been accidentally changed.

I have also had some very slight pauses loading scenery textures but it is infrequent and probably not related to the problem described above.

Any ideas would be gratefully considered....

Ian

system specs?

Sorry. I forgot it is no longer automatically displayed, though it's in my profile.

Processor

Intel i7
  • Processor Cores
    Four
  • Processor Speed
    3.6 Ghz
  • RAM
    16 GB DDR3
  • Video Board Manufacturer
    NVIDIA (Dual boards)
  • Video Board Model
    GeForce 550Ti
  • Video Memory
    1 gb
  • Mother Board
    Intel Extreme DX79TO
  • Hard Drives
    1 x 500 gb SATA, 1 x 1 Tb SATA (this disk exclusively dedicated to FS9 and relevant utilities)
  • Monitor
    Four monitors, various types. Nothing special
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
  • Joystick
    Saitek X36
  • Rudder Pedals
    CH Pro
  • Other
    GoFlight GF45 (two), GF-P8, RP48, GF-T8

Sometimes i get this, but it only lasts a second or two. I added more memory recently and it stopped doing that completely, so maybe it is RAM related?

Only other obvious thing i can think of is something might be writing or reading from the disk in the background slowing the process of loading the textures data. I don't think FS9 caches these textures so when you swap views they have to be located and loaded again each time. 

I wondered about the possibility that something else is reading from the disk. But unless it's something that has been inserted into FS then it could only be happening on the C drive as the D drive (1 tb SATA) is exclusively for FS and related programs. I will keep looking into this though as it makes sense as a possible cause of the problem

Thanks

How long has it been going on for? Viruses often write/read to an infected disk constantly and can be a source of a data slowdown.

32 bit vs DXT3 textures?

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I looked at that thread but couldnt find the folder you mentioned. How do i find it? It isn't listed under the address you posted.

I'm running XP SP3, later versions will be the equivalent folder.

Google (Not Earth!) is your friend here. 

The major cause of this is:

32 bit textures

32 bit textures with no alpha channel

DXT3 textures with no alpha channel

So that would be the first place I would check.

Maybe that program in your sticky that you used to regenerate the alpha channels has caused a problem with them?

The major cause of this is:

32 bit textures

32 bit textures with no alpha channel

DXT3 textures with no alpha channel

So that would be the first place I would check.

Maybe that program in your sticky that you used to regenerate the alpha channels has caused a problem with them?

Exactly Tommy especially if it is in one or two planes vs all of them...

Nah, I would guess they are 32 bit textures to begin with not DXT3 and they may need a run through the dxtfixer just in case.  No reason to assume that would break anything.

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I suspected a texture problem but it happens no matter which aircraft I am flying, including the default Robinson. I am continuing to check all my textures for missing alpha channels etc and have certainly found some, but so far it hasn't made any difference. I will keep searching

Hope you find a solution bud. There's nothing worse than a crippling problem that doesn't have an obvious solution. Keep us informed.