Sign in to follow this  
737_800

SquawkBox and NGX

Hi,

When I fly online and set my transponder to TA/RA mode, have I to push IDENT on SB to get indentified by ATC. How can I change that to get identified just by tuning TA/RA on the transponder?

How can I change that to get identified just by tuning TA/RA on the transponder?

You're confusing functions here.

TA/RA is a transponder mode allowing both Mode C (and more specifically Mode S) output.  Mode C allows the controllers to see your altitude, among other things.  Mode S is compatible with Mode C, but also allows collision avoidance (to work with TCAS).  This mode specifically refers to Traffic Advisory / Resolution Advisory, meaning it will tell you about traffic and offer resolutions (and in order to do this, Mode C/S must be on, so it's essentially like turning a GA transponder to ALT, with additional features).

IDENT is a feature that instructs the controller's radar processing to make the target flash.  In the terminal environment (ARTS/STARS), the data tag flashes.  In the en route environment (DSR), the target gets slashed.

Either way, because the NGX uses SimConnect for communication, and SquawkBox uses its own method to communicate with the sim, it won't pick up on mode changes, or IDENT presses.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok, I too would like to have the feature of selecting transponder modes and ident commands from the pedestal. Now if I remember correctly this can be acheived by setting up macros, I think thats what its called ? How can these so called macros be set to activate click spots on panels in the vc ?<br /><br />Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

Currently the VATSIM clients do not use simconnect to talk to FSX. This is mostly because simconnect can only use FSX, whereas the Vatsim clients have been designed to be compatible with FSX, FS9, FS2002, and probably some other sims. As a result the transponders in FSX (default, Freeware, Majestic, PMDG, everything else) do not switch the mode in the client (Squawkbox or FSinn).

The only way to fix this would be for PMDG to ... make a new Vatsim Client to replace FSinn... and that's more of a thing Vatsim should do rather than PMDG.

Ok, just checked it out incase I were tripping ... 747 links transponder mode select to SB4, 737 doesnt ... any ideas ? <br /><br />Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

747 links transponder mode select to SB4

747 was written back when FS9 was in use.  As such, it probably used a method that was compatible with the older clients.  The NGX uses SimConnect instead, I believe, which SB4 does not pay attention to.

Kyle Rodgers

747 was written back when FS9 was in use.  As such, it probably used a method that was compatible with the older clients.  The NGX uses SimConnect instead, I believe, which SB4 does not pay attention to.

Ah ok, cheers Kyle.