Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

Google Earth is Eating my HDD!

After using GE this morning, there was continuous disk activity, and my flightsim was really slow to load textures.

Apparently there is a memory leak on the latest but one version of GE, which will eventually fill up the HDD and render the computer useless.

It writes to:

C:\Documents and Settings\*YourName*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth\unified_cache_leveldb_leveldb2

Mine had grown to 40 GB when I uninstalled GE and restarted the computer.

Apparently this is a known issue, and will be patched.

GE stays off my computer until I know for sure.

Remember to save the My Places kml file if you have one.

Very interesting... for some reason, I'm having a real problem finding the location of the file you suggest. I am running Win7 64bit, any ideas? Cheers...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

This is a problem with the beta version of version 6. Beta software releases are intended for testing only and usually contain a disclaimer that your computer may disappear in a puff of smoke and the developer has no liability which is why beta software should be treated with caution. They also often contain extra code to log activity which can make the software sluggish. Remove the beta and install the release version and you should be fine. John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Sorry I should have mentioned that I cling to WIN XP SP3!

Later operating systems will write to the equivalent folder.

Beta software releases are intended for testing only
John I don't know if you speak for Google.

If you do, may I respectfully enquire: who gave you permission to install beta software on my computer, especially beta software that will fill up an entire HDD and ultimately cause computer failure?

I at no time downloaded or installed any such thing.

While Google has egg on its collective face, my actual discomfort is that this corporation is so insidiously locked into my computing experience that it can ... do things, without my knowledge.

"Do no wrong" is a wonderful company mantra, but it can be hijacked under that mantle for great evil if unchecked.   

I am not usually this paranoid, but if I had not noticed the HDD going crazy, and gone searching, my flightsim computer would now be kaput.

At your peril do you meddle with my flightsim computer...

Very interesting... for some reason, I'm having a real problem finding the location of the file you suggest. I am running Win7 64bit, any ideas? Cheers...

Check here: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth

If you don't see the "AppData" folder you need to edit windows explorer folder options and tick "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

Check here: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth

If you don't see the "AppData" folder you need to edit windows explorer folder options and tick "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

Thanks Jon, it was staring me in the face all the time! It was a 6.5Gb cache! So got rid of it. Cheers...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

John I don't know if you speak for Google.
If you do, may I respectfully enquire: who gave you permission to install beta software on my computer, especially beta software that will fill up an entire HDD and ultimately cause computer failure?

I do not speak for Google, I speak for myself, having researched the subject on behalf of a client. I'm sorry if you thought I implied otherwise. There is plenty to read about it if you, er, search on Google.

I very much doubt anybody has installed software on your machine without your permission, it certainly hasn't appeared on mine! Anyway, hopefully you are sorted now.

I really doubt it would have damaged anything else on your computer, including your Flight Simulator installation.

Regards,

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

having researched the subject on behalf of a client
Well perhaps you need to research a little deeper.
I found plenty of interest at the Google product forums:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/earth/vJcVK2M9g7U
Typical comments:

We are having a problem with Google Earth eating up 900 GB on our desk top. After a lot of research, we found suggestions. We uninstalled GE, then reinstalled, no help. Then we found a suggestion to empty the cache. We emptied it, which took over an hour yesterday. Today, when we got up the hard drive is full again and the cache is taking a couple of hours so far to empty. Uninstalled and reinstalled again. We are watching the hard drive fill up while we sit here. Major problem here. Any help available?

I really doubt it would have damaged anything ... including your Flight Simulator installation.
Well now...

my flightsim was really slow to load textures.
there's damage, and then there's damage.
Anything - anything - that affects the performance of FS is damage!
This computer only exists as a FS installation!
And, if the HDD did indeed fill up and fall over: Damage, Class I!

I am truly happy it's not a widespread issue (or perhaps it is - ticking away), but I mentioned it here because it affected my FS computer.

I hope it may have been of help to someone with a similar problem.

I have GE V8542 and do not see this problem on my system but I will be monitoring it as I do hear HDD thrashing occasionally but heard it was SuperFetch and turned that off.  Still get occasional thrashing but most of it has gone away (well, it's starting up again....).  I did suffer some FS crashes because of the thrashing and looked in Task Manager and saw nothing out of the ordinary. My GE cache was about 1 gig and nothing strange like I have seen above and on the GE forum.  I thought it might be my WD Book backup program constantly backing up files but turned that off too.  I will continue to follow the information on the Google forum.  I hate any program that tries to take over your computer w/o your permission.  Thanks for the info!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jon, it was staring me in the face all the time! It was a 6.5Gb cache! So got rid of it. Cheers...

you're welcome sir. 6.5GB, that's a considerable amount of space especially in the user Appdata folder. :O

WingZ,

Thank you for sharing this information.

I found this file based on your instructions. I have 259 files with .sst extensions,  but the total folder size is only taking 439 MB of hard drive.

Keith Guillory

After using GE this morning, there was continuous disk activity, and my flightsim was really slow to load textures.

Apparently there is a memory leak on the latest but one version of GE, which will eventually fill up the HDD and render the computer useless.

It writes to:

C:\Documents and Settings\*YourName*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth\unified_cache_leveldb_leveldb2

Mine had grown to 40 GB when I uninstalled GE and restarted the computer.

Apparently this is a known issue, and will be patched.

GE stays off my computer until I know for sure.

Remember to save the My Places kml file if you have one.

Thanks WingZ, I had 4.96gigs chewed up with GE.  Can someone let me know when this is fixed.  The main thing I hate about auto updates is when an update is screwed up in can have unforeseen consequences on ones machine.  I don't know if the feature can be turned off but GE likes to update itself without the user knowing.  I like to vet out updates before I use them.  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Can someone confirm, one way or another, if this would actually have an adverse effect on FSX. I don't understand how it can have, unless it's doing something during use of FSX and using CPU resources. I know it's taking HD space, but surely it's only active during using Google Earth, or am I missing something? Cheers...

Howard