Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

Google Earth is Eating my HDD!

Why don't you all just uninstall Google Earth and be done with it?

I don't have "Google Earth." Instead, I've got the Google-Earth Plugin for Chrome. Dunno why there's a difference, really, since I can still launch Google Earth as a separate application independent of Chrome - BUT, no problem here...

I've checked my Google Earth files and here's what I've found .....

dbCache.dat  =  1.95 GB  (2,048,034 KB)

unified_cache_leveldb_leveldb2  =  1.12 GB  ( 656 files )

webdata  =  390 MB  ( 9,826 Files, 4 Folders )

Is it OK to delete all the 'dbCache' & 'unified_cache_leveldb_leveldb2' files ? 

Thanks,

Pete.

Pete I don't believe having cached files is a bad thing.

What is bad, is if GE is frantically saving to that list.

Check again later, mine doubled in size after about an hour. 

I'm pretty sure GE has a patch by now, and will auto-update and fix the issue.

I uninstalled GE completely, and will wait a week to be sure, before re-installing. 

Because it is extremely useful, and I have a great deal of data tied up in it.

My, JSkorna, you have a positively humungous post count!

Mainly because I regularly fly with all the Obx sceneries and each of the areas has a GE Kmz.file which is incredibly useful when planning GA flights. However, I have now uninstalled GE and have it running on a separate PC.

Mainly because I regularly fly with all the Obx sceneries and each of the areas has a GE Kmz.file which is incredibly useful when planning GA flights. However, I have now uninstalled GE and have it running on a separate PC.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Well perhaps you need to research a little deeper.

I found plenty of interest at the Google product forums:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/earth/vJcVK2M9g7U

Typical comments:

We are having a problem with Google Earth eating up 900 GB on our desk top. After a lot of research, we found suggestions. We uninstalled GE, then reinstalled, no help. Then we found a suggestion to empty the cache. We emptied it, which took over an hour yesterday. Today, when we got up the hard drive is full again and the cache is taking a couple of hours so far to empty. Uninstalled and reinstalled again. We are watching the hard drive fill up while we sit here. Major problem here. Any help available?

I researched "memory leak"; that is the term you used.

That described in that link is the writing of temporary files and using up disc space - that is not a memory leak. A memory leak is where software doesn't unload itself from computer memory, gradually making less and less available for other software to use. Even when transferring memory to disc, the amount is limited by the Windows settings.

Nevertheless, the link you refer to also indicates that upgrading to the latest version resolves this issue so you should be fine either way.

Kindest regards,

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Nevertheless, the link you refer to also indicates that upgrading to the latest version resolves this issue so you should be fine either way.

Kindest regards,

John

And that's all I needed to hear, downloading now...

For the record this was a great thread that brought to light something many of us where unaware of...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2