Sign in to follow this  
bones1977

Totally frustrated! PMDG 737-900NGX Paint kit issues

I must say I'm either blind, stupid, or highly disapointed with PMDG when it comes to the paint kits for these NGX's. I'm having some issues using Gimp to repaint the 739NGX, but I'm not sure if Gimp is the problem or the kit itself, or something I did, or what? I understand this isn't rocket science, but after reading the little two page instruction book that came with the kit (which says that this is a complicated paint kit, and that it is just a brief introduction to the files, but not meant to be a manual for the dang kit), I really figured I would find a ton of help online...more manuals from the company that made the dang thing (which specializes in the production of user manuals), suggestions, solutions, etc. Yet, all I seem to be seeing is a few people who have commented about the kit one way or another, but not really experiencing my issues.

I could explain them all, and be made to look like an idiot by all the people that know more about this than I do, but I just really think that there should be more instruction included with this thing. The dividing lines in the main fuselage file are explained, yet other files have lines crissin' and a crossin', but no explanation as to what the heck they do or what they're dividing, etc. I'm a perfectionist, and that's what I liked best about PMDG was that I thought this was a value we shared, yet there's no way I can complete this repaint right now without some major issues that many would probably overlook, but shouldn't have to be overlooked...this is PMDG, right?

So someone please correct me if I'm just plain wrong, and there's a ton of material somewhere under my finger tips (not some YouTube tutorial where somebody spends 45 minutes teaching me stuff I already know), I'm talking about detailed instructions and explanations of the individual files in the paint kit, solutions to problems that come up along the way, and places to seek solutions to the bigger issues that might come along.

Before everybody attacks the dude going off on PMDG, let me just say that I love PMDG's products and the NGX is my favorite plane to fly. However, I fly for a VA, and their livery isn't available for the NGX yet, so I told them I would do it, and now I've possibly just spent an entire day working on something that I might not ever get to use if this is a Gimp issue, because I'm not buying PhotoShop just for a repaint. I'm normally a pretty calm, collected dude, but this is really frustrating when you can't even find much of anything, and you know there are many others with the same questions, thoughts and problems!

Angry for now, but probably laughing at my self in an hour,

Bones1977

The paint kits can only be used with Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. Says that on their website,

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

The paint kits can only be used with Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. Says that on their website,

"This Paint Kit for the PMDG 737 NGX comes in a .zip file that consists of
the following .PSD files for use in Adobe Photoshop. Other graphics
editing suites may be used if the PSD can be read.
For best results, Photoshop is strongly recommended but it’s not a
requirement." PMDG 737NGX Instructions

It's not that it doesn't work, if that was the case, I would have stopped trying hours ago. I can open the files, I can edit the files, I can save the files, there's just a problem with the shadows completely whiting out parts of the a/c. I didn't even think it was a Gimp issue until I saw somebody else mention it in this forum. Other than this one issue (which unfortunately is major enough to render the repaint useless without a fix), everything seems to work fine.

My issue isn't with it possibly being incompatible with Gimp, it's that I don't even have enough documentation or available knowledge to figure out for sure what the problem is. Look, I've already calmed down a lot, so I'm not going to argue with anybody about this, but I have painted several aircraft from less reputable companies, and never had such basic instructions provided by any company. I know most of what they should be including anyways, but I'm just disappointed on this one. I don't know if you paint or not, but if so, would you be able to do your first paintjob from those instructions combined with the information available on their website? I don't think anybody could honestly say yes. People spend a lot of money on their aircraft, and they do advertise that their aircraft are repaintable. It would just seem logical that instructions would follow, that's all I was trying to say. My first repaint was on a Captain Sim product, and although I clearly think PMDG is superior, the manual for the Captain Sim plane had an entire section dedicated to painting and another section of their forum dedicated to the topic. I did my first paint job with a more difficult paintkit without any major problems or questions...everything I needed to know was provided, and I thought I would get the same or better out of PMDG.

Thanks for the input, and sorry for my little rant there, but if anybody knows exactly what the issue is with Gimp, and/or any possible solutions, please let me know. I'm referring to the fact that the Shadow layers are solid white and cover up portions of the paint completely, and put a general haze over the entire aircraft, taking away most of the detail. You'd think to play around with transparency, but they specifically mention not to touch these layers....for the record, I tried anyways, and there just doesn't seem to be any way to get it right. You're either stuck with almost no shadows or no details.

I have had no issues with the paintkit or the instructions, but then again I use photoshop. Btw....my pic is one of my repaints on the 700

I got it figured out. It seems to be an issue with the layer grouping. I pulled all of the layers out of the grouped folders and it seems like it's going to work. Wish me luck, lol!

I understand, although can't be sure, but it will be here somewhere, that there is a problem with the -900 paint kit. I could be wrong... It's been known to happen. From time to time.

900 paint kit does not work with the latest service pack belly area (color) for all 3 parts will not match dont waste your time

Rich Sennett

There may be, but in my case it was definitely an issue with Gimp related to grouping layers. I just ungrouped them all, and now it's fine, at least so far.

BEFORE PIC (With beginning stages of paint to help display the issue): Note: That should say "Pacific"

beforepic.png

AFTER PIC (Without Paint):

afterpic.png

900 paint kit does not work with the latest service pack belly area (color) for all 3 parts will not match dont waste your time

Really? Thanks for the heads up, we might have to go with the 800 then. I know it works, because another VA I fly for has one that works great.

Yes 800 for sure trust me waste of time. Good luck

Rich Sennett