Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

Fs global real weather and Opus

I just bought it...

The ui is very light and simple! Like it...

Just didn't get that thing in the aircraft profile yet. I saw that it has some generic vertical and cruise speeds for the 737-800, but didn't understand if it must be done for all the aircraft we use or if it is just a detail to show the toc and tod in the fsgrw flight plan...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

The thing I respect with FSGRW is that they concentrate on weather, unlike other engines who always try to give "more". Give less but more, and they definitely succeeded, in my humble opinion. Bought it after a test period.

I bit the bullet and bought it after going through my trial in a day. I thought I would try it first with a fresh install of FSX:

This was using Historical data going back a couple of days when Sydney was under a cover of heavy fog which closed YSSY.

FSGRW & default textures

Some others I took today...

FSGRW & REX

And a video taken at 8am this Morning just West of YSBK over the Sydney Basin. Typical Sydney Morning depicted perfectly with FSGRW & REX textures. I have not been able to replicate this with OPUS & REX, so I am now sticking with FSGRW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFtAVryDtUw

Diego

What really got me with this engine was the "Local weather effects". Have never seen this in FSX, have done so many touch and goes now on Madeira just because I love this effect and it gives some challenge(crazy shifting winds and turbulence on approach and right before touchdown and it happens only in certain wind conditions).

This is some cool feature I dont think any other weather engine have done before and I love it when devs push things forward and invent new stuff. :smile:

I bit the bullet and bought it after going through my trial in a day. I thought I would try it first with a fresh install of FSX:

This was using Historical data going back a couple of days when Sydney was under a cover of heavy fog which closed YSSY.

Some others I took today...

And a video taken at 8am this Morning just West of YSBK over the Sydney Basin. Typical Sydney Morning depicted perfectly with FSGRW & REX textures. I have not been able to replicate this with OPUS & REX, so I am now sticking with FSGRW!

Diego

Great shots there Diego....how does it perform at altitude? winds aloft? cloud depiction at high level? on descent?

Great shots there Diego....how does it perform at altitude? winds aloft? cloud depiction at high level? on descent?

You should just give the trial a shot, it's just like the unlocked version except you only get 4 weather downloads/injections before it expires. That means you get full weather across the globe for as long as you want to fly, but it won't update to the latest weather conditions unless you tell it to (which consumes one of your trial "points".)  But it will give you exactly what you want to know :)

Out of the four weather engines I've got, it is the most enjoyable for high and fast flying.

It has the wind stability of AS2012 and the evolving weather, that Opus has. Then to the question about the descent...

I will be only talking about how the winds are handled (on approach) as I haven't seen something like this before. On one of my flights, I was descending through calm winds (~7 knots) only to be blasted by 20+ winds on long final. On another flight I had a tail wind during the approach, which turned into a calm head wind before landing.

I was about to report these as bugs, but I happened to cross check the METARs that were in effect during my flight. Sure enough, what happened reflected the METARs 100%.

In the past I had been lead to believe that FSX is unable to do something like this, but now I know better.

---

One note about the aircraft profiles that you can create in FSGRW. I created my own profile for E145 and the TOC and TOD points match my FSBuild flight plan very well. It took some time to make the profile, but as an added bonus, I now get very good climb and descent forecasts (as well as cruise winds, temperature and ISA dev)

---

Disclaimer: I only fly high and fast and always import a flight plan to my weather engine, so that it can "enhance" the route weather.

thanks guys, i gave the demo a try and it is impressive indeed. Bernd (the developer) was kind enough to give Avsim some of his time for an interview, so hopefully you will all get to know him and his product a little better to decide if it is the right thing for you.

Cheers,

I have to say that I retired all my weather engines and now I just use FSGRW! It is just that great! :-)

The active sky (x and 2012) are stable but the weather depiction seems a bit bogus and fake, stable thou. Opus claim to be the most real of all, but imo, to fly high and fast it just can't be done with Opus without ruining the immersion and experience...

So, fsgrw ftw! Haha

Guest Mik75

I have to say that I retired all my weather engines and now I just use FSGRW! It is just that great! :-)

The active sky (x and 2012) are stable but the weather depiction seems a bit bogus and fake, stable thou. Opus claim to be the most real of all, but imo, to fly high and fast it just can't be done with Opus without ruining the immersion and experience...

So, fsgrw ftw! Haha

+1

What a great product FSGRW is! Simple to set up and use, and perfectly working with outstanding results! Together with Ezdok, this really leads to a new level of immersion.

I flew into Madeira's RWY 05 a few days ago, and the final approach was really demanding and some serious fun! I am looking forward to flying to Innsbruck very soon!

And finally, I can enjoy my MD11 again without a single wind shift and A/P disconnect.

Can I use AS2012 to generate textures, but fs global weather to inject the actual weather?! Sorry, but don't excactly how this stuff works...

Mas

Guest Mik75

Can I use AS2012 to generate textures, but fs global weather to inject the actual weather?! Sorry, but don't excactly how this stuff works...

Mas

That's how it works: FSGRW injects the weather. AS2012, REX, FEX, etc. is for the textures you will see in the sim. You only have to run REX or Active Sky once, to import your favourite texture set into FSX. FSGRW does the rest and has to be started during every FSX session in order to provide the (literally) realistic weather.

I've had several unrealistic weather run ins with fs grw, I actually own it and opusfsx but have been using opusfsx exclusively for a while now. Fsgrw is a very impressive software but the winds aloft were very wrong for 3 of my flights, even though they were stable they were off. And a couple of times in my descent into jfk I've had several areas where it should have been dead cloudy and opusfsx depicted it perfectly, fsgrw gave me a patch of clear sky as I was descending and knew immediately that this wasn't my weather engine of choice. Though I don't discourage anyone from it, and yes opusfsx isn't perfect but as a real pilot with real world experience I feel opusfsx gives me a better representation of weather. I haven't tried activesky 2012 to comment on it.

I've had several unrealistic weather run ins with fs grw, I actually own it and opusfsx but have been using opusfsx exclusively for a while now. Fsgrw is a very impressive software but the winds aloft were very wrong for 3 of my flights, even though they were stable they were off. And a couple of times in my descent into jfk I've had several areas where it should have been dead cloudy and opusfsx depicted it perfectly, fsgrw gave me a patch of clear sky as I was descending and knew immediately that this wasn't my weather engine of choice. Though I don't discourage anyone from it, and yes opusfsx isn't perfect but as a real pilot with real world experience I feel opusfsx gives me a better representation of weather. I haven't tried activesky 2012 to comment on it.

Funny, I've had the exact same things happen with Opus.  All these weather engines and no one can tame the FSX weather demons.

Regards, Kendall