Sign in to follow this  
Rayan giggs

More realistic ATC rather than the standard.

Thanks for posting that Ben. My post wasn't meant to be a competition between RC4 and VoxATC can do. More of an assist to anyone thinking of buying an ATC package.

Understood :mellow:

My aim was to inform those interested in the current status of an (underappreciated?),

complete, easy and still being developed ATC program.

Would you recommend it?

All the ATC add-ons have pros and cons. At then end of the day it's your choice. PFE in my opinion does more and is more realistic in many ways  and despite what's been said it is the least robotic. If you fly internationally you will get a good experience: listening to other airlines and foreign ATC's.

In terms of pitch/tone, cadence, and clarity (based on what I've heard from these programs on Youtube). Aviation radios are pretty low powered and the dynamic range is pretty limited. There are no basses or baritones in ATC...everybody's a scratchy tenor (or alto for the lady flyers). Speeding up the default FSX voices with editvoicepack is also a "must" for me.

In the real world ATC is not remotely hIfi! Quite deliberately so. If you think about you'll understand why. There are many simmers who expect ATC to be beautifully rich ,warm with lots of deep base etc. That just isn't the reality at all! And just on that point alone PFE scores! It even has background interference!

The one with most promise at present is ProATC/X, mainly because that's being very actively developed still -- the only one that is I think!

Regards

Pete

VOXATC is still being developed, recently patched for a lot of ground traffic interaction.

Does anybody here use Pro Flight Emulator with non English keyboard? 

My keyboard doesn't have backslash which I would need for roger/readback, so far I haven't found a way to change the key. 

\\Never mind figured it out

Actually you can In the Sids and stars section you can define a name for the SIDS and STAR, and the end waypoint for the SID, and Starting waypoint for the Star. (The name is limited to 4 characters though). If set you will be cleared for the SID on clearance. (It will be read phonetically) as well as takeoff clearance/ At the waypoint you defined for the STAR (Actually I think it's the previous one) You will be cleared for the Star, again read phonetically). It's up to you to set it up though. Here's one I setup

Ah yes I forgot that's what you can do! So you can have the best of both worlds. That's my only bugbear with PFE - all this stuff changes with every flight so there's a lot of inputting the right info beforehand to make it all play nice once you're in the air. If you do it right though it's well worth it.

Does anybody here use Pro Flight Emulator with non English keyboard? 

My keyboard doesn't have backslash which I would need for roger/readback, so far I haven't found a way to change the key. 

\\Never mind figured it out

You should be able to change the key by going to the option 1 setup screen and hot keys

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

VOXATC is still being developed, recently patched for a lot of ground traffic interaction.

That's good to know. I will do a trial of it, but unless I can work out how to get its display out of FS (I read that it's done by a Gauge added to your aircraft Panel.CFG) I probably won't use it long term. I'll see if I can program a way around it -- depends how the program and gauge talk to each other.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

That's good to know. I will do a trial of it, but unless I can work out how to get its display out of FS (I read that it's done by a Gauge added to your aircraft Panel.CFG) I probably won't use it long term. I'll see if I can program a way around it -- depends how the program and gauge talk to each other.

Pete

The developer is quite responsive to email so would suggest starting a conversation via his contact page. He'll also be at the Flight Sim Convention at Weston in two weeks I understand so will bring it up there too as a cool thing to happen.

I use a second laptop next to my FSX machine thanks to your excellent FSUIPC and WideFS and would be very interested in VOX running on this laptop simply not to have a UI floating in the cockpit and shifting load off the flight sim processor. However I do find myself using it less and less as my phraseology gets better and it is voice controlled.

The developer is quite responsive to email so would suggest starting a conversation via his contact page. He'll also be at the Flight Sim Convention at Weston in two weeks I understand so will bring it up there too as a cool thing to happen.

I believe I have met him, years ago, when VoxATC was young! ;-). I've known Bob and Carol Sidwick (RC Sims) for ages of course, but don't see tham so much now that the larger National FS Shows have stopped. I used to go to all those at the Motorcycle Museum near Brum, and later to the couple organised separately at Blackpool. But Weston's a bit awkward and we're tied up that weekend in any case.

Anyway, yes do mention it, please. A networked VoxATC with user place-able network display would be very interesting indeed. I am using an enclosed cockpit with scenery (only) projected on a 10' screen in front. I don't want anything else spoiling that view! ;-)

Regards

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

You can't really configure it, which is good because it's more fun that way. Sadly you don't get cleared for 'X' STAR as PFE doesn't really know you're on one, it just thinks it is vectoring you to final off your route, but that's the only drawback of doing it this way. You also need to close the opposite runway to landings in an afcad editor as PFE takes runway use from that used by ai. If it's the opposite one to you then you'll be flying directly into traffic! Better to force the use of the runway you've planned for.

Ugh...that kind of puts me back on the fence... I can already do that with the default FSX ATC. My biggest issue with default ATC is that it usually starts vectoring off the STAR too early... usually 40-50 miles out (which would actually be very normal for airports that don't have any STARS).

Why would you close runways? Most STARS are not runway specific - they are selected based on what direction you're coming from. ATC then gives you the appropriate approach/runway so you can always land into the wind.

Ugh...that kind of puts me back on the fence... I can already do that with the default FSX ATC. My biggest issue with default ATC is that it usually starts vectoring off the STAR too early... usually 40-50 miles out (which would actually be very normal for airports that don't have any STARS).

Why would you close runways? Most STARS are not runway specific - they are selected based on what direction you're coming from. ATC then gives you the appropriate approach/runway so you can always land into the wind.

Watch the video I posted in post # 75, that should give you an idea, of how PFE handles SIDS/STARS!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Watch the video I posted in post # 75, that should give you an idea, of how PFE handles SIDS/STARS!

Thanks Tom... I'll definitely do that. Incidently, what are the names of your EditVoicePack mods in the library. I did a search; but couldn't find anything but airline/callsign additions. 

Why not discussion about Radar Contact 4?

Handles SIDS/STARS very well.

spacer.png

I think this is why! It's not free flowing speech there are unnatural pauses, here's an example

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxphFyKLY8s

Tom,

Have you adjusted the settings that changes the gap between spoken words? And are you running RC4 on the same PC as FS? if so it will be fighting for resources.

RC4 is far more fluent on a WideFS PC as Pete has suggested.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather