Sign in to follow this  
George Clark

Upgrade Radio's in C182 RG

I have a CARENADO Cessna SKYLANE II RG 182, it has very old Radios, ADF, DME, AP, Transponder, Audio panel and has no Altitude hold capability. I would like to upgrade this whole panel with more modern equipment. What is the easiest method to do this? I am a novice regarding this kind of operation.

George Clark

I presume it has 3D style instruments , if so it is set in concrete.

Unfortunately these modern style panels are impossible to change or customise.

These instruments or rather their control knobs , switches , and buttons are hard coded into

the model , they can only be altered if you have the source code.

Non of these commercial concerns will ever divulge that source code.

The instrument facia ( 3D outline shape ) is also part of the model.

It's the price we pay for eye candy !

It annoys the hell out of me .

Customers should refuse to buy an aircraft that only contains a 3D panel.

If they did so the commercial concerns would quickly include a alternate secondary flat

older style panel that could be customised and used  if desired.

Cheers

Karol

Customers should refuse to buy an aircraft that only contains a 3D panel.

If they did so the commercial concerns would quickly include a alternate secondary flat

older style panel that could be customised and used  if desired.

Cheers

Karol

Don't think you're willing to pay for that... after all, changing avionics in a real aircraft is extremely expensive... do you really think it's fair that it shouldn't cost more for such a 'feature' in FS?

It takes a lot of 3D design to support multiple versions of a 3D object... not to mention all the systems coding required... and then there's the chance that whatever the individual wants to 'install' isn't actually going to play nice with whatever's already there.

I could go on, and on... etc.  But the bottom line... this isn't a real aircraft, there are no hard coded realities (like fixed wiring harness, ARINC 429 buses, etc)... and what you want is probably a great deal more expensive than you're even remotely willing to consider paying for a game's addon.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ed

I probably didn't explain it very well.

What I meant  is as follows :-

(1)  The aircraft has the default Virtual panel , with the current releases this is a 3D panel.

Essentially to most users that would be all that exists , and they would use and fly the aircraft 

exactly as they do now.

(2) Included with the aircraft  would be a secondary panel.

That panel would not be activated , and it would be empty.

It would comprise of only a light grey panel outline  shape , this is just as was done in the days of FS9.

Any artwork , ie instrument outlines / backgrounds would have to be added after market.

This panel would contain brief notes detailing the virtual panel $ pane titles and each pane's 

X and Y dimensions

It would be up to a developer to do the panel artwork and to populate it with any desired instruments.

This process would be freeware only for after market customised panels , it would not be a 3D panel.

Those who develop the custom panel would have to be responsible for it's activation and release or

uploading to a freeware site.

This arrangement gives a high level of flexability , also it provides a source for instrument developers to

explore new instruments and to develop their skills.

As these developers gain both knowledge and skills they become available in some instances for 

the commercial concerns to employ in the future , a win for all concerned.

I do not agree in the least about the prohibitive cost aspect.

If you look at some of the recent releases they have duel cockpits , and one case I have the aircraft has 5 different and distinct cockpits.

As I said above the secondary cockpit would be empty of instruments.

Primarily , think about the reason for this thread , the poor user has absolutely no options available , 

and in my opinion that is sad  as well as being a poor reflection of the future of the flight simulation

experience.

We need to keep it as much as possible flexible and open.

We saw with the now defunct MS Flight how Microsoft wanted to end the open platform concept.

I firmly believe that the open platform concept lead to a abundance of riches with both addons and

instruments.

Cheers

Karol

First, the only clean way to have multiple 3D cockpits is to model them.  Any other method would result in some serious conflict resolution requirements on the modeler's part.  In no way could that be 'freeware'... developers don't work for free.

Second, you really missed the part about integration.  Let's say the addon has a rather accurate electrical system developed.  Adding a radio, as simple as you think it might be, would be a problem as it would triggler solely off the avionics switch and not the rest of the electrical system's logic.

A really good example of this is the 3D Lights Redux addon.  It will only work with aircraft that utilize the default lighting system of FS... which is actually horribly inaccurate for anything more complex than a 172/182.  Thus when the developer renders the lighting correctly (as it it turns on and off accordingly just like the real aircraft and not a single, simple switch) one can no longer use the 3D light addon as it doesn't work.

As I stated before... I could go on and on... but what you seem to think should be a 'given'... is anything but.  You want accurate... and then you want completely user configurable... it really isn't possible.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ed & Karol, thank you so much for replies. I guess  I am out of luck with this aircraft. I will try to find another aircraft in FSX, I need a single engine w/ RG and the modern Radios and AP w/ more than one axis and w/ Alt set and hold. Any suggestions? Again thank you for your input.

George Clark

George

Sorry I couldn't  be more helpful.

Try a google search for reviews of the Realair SF260  , it has a bubble canopy , but it is a superb aircraft,

it might suit your needs.

Ed

Freeware ? not sure where you got that idea from .

I purchased a commercial military aircraft , it's one of the very cheapest that I have purchased , it has 5 different  virtual cockpits and several different models of that particular aircraft.

What I am suggesting is that one additional cockpit/panel be included , but it would be empty , it would not

have any instrumentation, that cockpit would have a flat panel surface , surely you remember them from FS9 days.

It would have the virtual cockpit window $ titled panes and their dimensions  to allow latter instruments to be added or HUDs to be placed.

The Freeware part mentioned above is if an individual subsequently wants to create their own style of panel with custom instruments  then that EMPTY panel is their pallete.

Forget the cost of REAL aircraft and ARINC etc thats all a red herring .

It is possible to create custom panels , I did it with my F-111 Pig HUD panel project .

All you need is a empty cockpit to be included with the newer aircraft. 

Cheers

Karol

The discussion here seems to be predicated on the fact that the 182RG uses a 3D panel, but I don't think that's the case - it's not one of Carenado's newer planes.  I did a quick google (using "carenado 182 panel mods") and found several threads on simforums that might help.

Sorry, I don't have the plane so I can't give more specific help, but I don't think you're necessarily out of luck.

Scott

George

Thats great news from Scott above , try the search , it might be that you stumble on something that specifically adresses your requirements.

If not then :

Have a look at the default FSX Mooney Bravo aircraft to see if it's radio stack and autopilot  are the sort of functionality that you are after , it is both in the Virtual and as a Pop Up Window.

If it is , then check visually if that arrangement would roughly fit in your

CARENADO Cessna SKYLANE II RG 182.  panel.

You said you are a novice , are you able to open the Cessna panel cfg and view it ?

Cheers

Karol

need a single engine w/ RG and the modern Radios and AP w/ more than one axis and w/ Alt set and hold. Any suggestions?

The FS2002/2004 Dreamfleet C177RG works remarkably well in FSX [with the usual portover limitations] despite being over 10 years old. Panel screenshot with Reality XP FLT, FLN and GNS530.