Sign in to follow this  
charlieg

Engine Cuts out after Starter switches off

Guys,

I can't for the life of me think why this is happening, today I flew from EGLC to EGHI, then landed, shut down engines, De-Boarding the Boarding, push back, then start left engine, it spooled up and fired then when the starter cut out it shut down, I tried the right engine and that fired up fine, then left and that fired up fine. What am I doing wrong?

start left engine, it spooled up and fired then when the starter cut out it shut down

What was the EGT? It should be less than 200 degrees before starting the engines.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I am sure it was, I shut both engines down cleanly, then used GSX fort de-boarding, refuel, boarding and push, that must have taken about 20 mins plus the FMC planning, but tbh I didn't check the EGT. But the other engine started fine and that was shut down after the left one?

Did you unfeather?

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure it would have a huge impact on the engines (it could, because pushing back means a battery start), but your process isn't exactly accurate.

J41s didn't get pushes (thus the big red lettering on the panel stating pushes with engines running is prohibited).  Here's the gist of it (shameless self-quote):

The proper procedure would be to:
Connect GPU
Power avionics (and let it align)
Make appropriate FMS entries
Turn off avionics
Start #1 engine and transfer the elec to the #1 GEN
Disconnect GPU
Start #2 engine
Taxi out

Note that nowhere in there did I say "push back."
Also note the positioning of the GPU in the external view.  That is why you start the #1 engine first, so that the rampies can move the GPU without getting cooked.  While they're not going to get blasted away like jetblast, that engine is still throwing out some high temp air out of the back of it.

Ask me how I know...

This comes up from time to time, so luckily I've saved this image:
IADAGates.JPG

See how the J41s are not all facing towards the terminal (at the bottom) like most aircraft are?  You can see the CRJ at the bottom right is facing the bottom of the frame, whereas the J41s second from the left are not facing the same way.

You can also see that the lead-in lines are not all straight like a lot of them are now.  Basically, they would taxi in, and turn so that the number 1 engine was closest to the "finger" (those walkways that extend from the bottom of the image).  This shortened the walking distance from the finger to the door of the aircraft, but it also allowed the pilots to start both engines, turn right, and taxi right out.  No push back needed.

The comment somewhere in the manuals (I think the tutorial, actually) was that the aircraft had a very small turning radius, so it could turn out of tight parking spots easily, without needing a push.

Kyle Rodgers

Guys, thanks for the response and I understand the push and start, but I am correct you can do a battery start after a push?

Also, why would the right engine start and not the left one. None of the procedures I did could explain that.

Also the prob was feathered, I checked it a dozen times as my first thought was that. But let me say an unfetheres prob and engine will spin and an continue to spin, that is if you have no engine fires set which I do and the cut out starter switch will not activate until you open the guard and stop it. I know this as I have tried in the past to start in-feathered engines. This is not what happened, the torq started to build so starter cut out and the died.

I am correct you can do a battery start after a push?

Can does not mean should.

Also, why would the right engine start and not the left one. None of the procedures I did could explain that.

No idea.  Sounds like you just messed something up.  Kinda like me the other day:

"CLEAR PROP!"

*turns ignition key*

[Nothing happens]

*tries again*

[Nothing happens]

*runs through pre-start checklist again, noting a missed battery switch*

*turns ignition key*

[aircraft starts]

Sometimes if it doesn't work, and then you try it later and it works, you just missed something.

Was the fuel pump not on?  Was there enough juice coming from the BATT?  Did you leave the GENs on while trying to start?  Were the condition levers at GND?

Then again, sometimes computers hiccup and do stupid stuff and you simply can't replicate it.

Kyle Rodgers

Well I think I will put this down to a "computer says no" scenario as nothing seems to be logical as to why this happened. Thanks for all your help.

Also the prob was feathered,

I'm assuming you meant it was unfeathered. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM