Sign in to follow this  
EmileB

Recommended reading - what order (JS4100) ?

I purchased the PMDG JS4100 last year, but due to work commitments it's only now that I can make a serious start with it.  I've already read the Introduction and Overview manual, which was enough to cover my keyboard in drool B) .

But now, what next ?  I like to do things properly, rather than jump in and get frustrated.  Should I read the entire Flight Operations Manual - which will obviously take some time - before even attempting the tutorial ?  I'm not a newcomer to turboprops, having spent many VATSIM hours in the PMDG Beech 1900D, but this is obviously a whole new ballgame.  What have others found the best way to come to grips with the JS4100 ?

Cheers,
Emile Bax.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Moderator,

Might as well delete my post of 5 May.

Thanks for nothing, guys... :sad2:

Cheers,
Emile Bax.

Emile,

Sorry, I missed this post as I'm only here every now and then.

I would recommend that you attempt the tutorial flight, which I believe is out of KPHN. To me the hardest things to learn about this plane were:

1. Starting and stopping engines and avoid fires related to same. (Don't forget the start blocks!)

2. Setting up the load and getting speed bugs, which is admittedly a little cumbersome and tedious.

3. Speed management, although the tutorial does a decent job of explaining it.

4. Some people have difficulty with the A/P and the difference between ALT SEL and ALT (the latter being a hold mode, essentially).

The plane isn't that hard to fly, at least to me, and it's the one I fly the most. But definitely do the tutorial. It walks you through stuff that isn't strictly necessary for a sim (i.e., most of the electrical prep work), but it explains the basics pretty well. Good luck and enjoy.

Emile,

Sorry, I missed this post as I'm only here every now and then.

I would recommend that you attempt the tutorial flight, which I believe is out of KPHN. To me the hardest things to learn about this plane were:

1. Starting and stopping engines and avoid fires related to same. (Don't forget the start blocks!)

2. Setting up the load and getting speed bugs, which is admittedly a little cumbersome and tedious.

3. Speed management, although the tutorial does a decent job of explaining it.

4. Some people have difficulty with the A/P and the difference between ALT SEL and ALT (the latter being a hold mode, essentially).

The plane isn't that hard to fly, at least to me, and it's the one I fly the most. But definitely do the tutorial. It walks you through stuff that isn't strictly necessary for a sim (i.e., most of the electrical prep work), but it explains the basics pretty well. Good luck and enjoy.

Many thanks, Doug, that's most helpful !  I don't mind aspects that are a bit tedious as that's all part of the exercise.

Cheers,
Emile Bax.

Best you can do is watch J41s Youtube tutorial /videos and operate it accordingly(like minimise FSX and open browser or use laptop to watch video and Operate it like that on PC).. and side by side you read manual it will double help you!

Good luck..

1y329d.jpg

For a variety of reasons having to do with my life schedule, I fly this bird way more than any other, including the NGX. (As an aside, I'm monitoring progress of a certain recently released turboprop to see if they can iron out some bugs. I would totally buy that too.)

Best you can do is watch J41s Youtube tutorial /videos and operate it accordingly(like minimise FSX and open browser or use laptop to watch video and Operate it like that on PC).. and side by side you read manual it will double help you!

Good luck..

Ah yes, I could run a second monitor, connected to my laptop, next to my flightsim one so that would be ideal for following the video and/or displaying the manual.  I wouldn't even need to minimise FSX then.  Good idea - thanks a lot !

Cheers,
Emile Bax.

For a variety of reasons having to do with my life schedule, I fly this bird way more than any other, including the NGX. (As an aside, I'm monitoring progress of a certain recently released turboprop to see if they can iron out some bugs. I would totally buy that too.)

The J41 suits the regional routes between the many smaller airports in my country, which is why I got it to replace the faithful PMDG B1900D (the B1900D is used extensively on NZ routes by Eagle Air). And yes, like you I'm not often in a position where I can do a longer flight. We are fortunate to have a good, active VATSIM crowd here which operates every Sunday night in our virtual airspace. I should get some good use out of the J41 once I've mastered the basics, especially with my entire country now covered by very good Orbx scenery. Wonder what the other aircraft is that you alluded to...

Cheers,
Emile Bax.

The other is the Dash 8 someone put out. Looks like it needs tweaking first.

If you are so inclined, you may want to eventually buy the FS2Crew for the Jetstream. Certainly, I would wait awhile until you have some flights under you and can handle it on your own, but I find it to be a really creates excellent immersion. The most useful thing the Virtual FO does, IMHO is set the speeds for you, which is especially helpful for approach when you are busy.

......... and there's excellant Air New Zealand and "All Blacks" repaints available in the library as well

Bruce Ross

NZDN 

Bruce Ross

Moderator,

Might as well delete my post of 5 May.

Thanks for nothing, guys... :sad2:

i only just saw this too.. dont jump the gun on us!!

. beginners frustration for this plane is high... but satisfaction too is high once certain

j41isms are burnt into ur synapses...

.. everything is there in the manuals and tutorials but i reckon a one page DO and DONT would have been useful.

DO

use mouse to place power and condition levers correctly before starting

unfeather props before starting.. left n right click the switch

save your fave aircraft states

flight plan in fms is LOST if save/load so save every flight plan before

you take off unless you or your oc never ever crash :)

NAV Enter Enter before u take off :)

set manual climb and route intercept BEFORE selecting NAV and ALT SEL

use IAS and alt sel for controlled descents to approach.. works a charm and no over speed

on approach!

DONT

taxi with start locks on..

apply reverse thrust then set cond levers to taxi until AFTER the engines have spooled

back down to idle..

move the cond levers down during flight unless you bought a parachute.. they are rated to run for hours at 100pc so let them! the tutorial doesn't agree with this but only when power setting is around 100pc but once you start climbing the power starts dropping rapidly like mixture power in a prop and the cond levers hate being lowered if the power is less than 95pc already.. anyone else back me up on this?

any more people?

btw DO leave the fms turned off ASAP and do a vor to vor and ils or ndb approach... imho the plane rocks with these as fms kinda feels too advanced for this steam machine and the vor station id lights up in the display next to dme! so switching between vors u never get confused which radial to which station you are on... im actually going to do a flight right now like that.. its THAT cool :)

rg

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

The other is the Dash 8 someone put out. Looks like it needs tweaking first.

If you are so inclined, you may want to eventually buy the FS2Crew for the Jetstream. Certainly, I would wait awhile until you have some flights under you and can handle it on your own, but I find it to be a really creates excellent immersion. The most useful thing the Virtual FO does, IMHO is set the speeds for you, which is especially helpful for approach when you are busy.

Ah right, that could be interesting.  I'll keep the FS2Crew option in mind too.  I've already got it for my B763, but admit not having used it much yet.

......... and there's excellant Air New Zealand and "All Blacks" repaints available in the library as well

Bruce Ross

NZDN 

Hi Bruce, do you mean for the J41 ?  If so, which library ?  I checked out the downloads pages of PMDG's own website and all I could find for our part of the world, was a Qantas Link and an Origin Pacific livery (wasn't Mike Pero involved with the latter ?).  And only a handful of J41 repaints in the Avsim file library.

i only just saw this too.. dont jump the gun on us!!

. beginners frustration for this plane is high... but satisfaction too is high once certain

j41isms are burnt into ur synapses...

.. everything is there in the manuals and tutorials but i reckon a one page DO and DONT would have been useful.

Hey Russell, you are right - I did jump the gun a bit here :sorry: !  You, too, thanks very much for all the very helpful advice.  And I do agree with you that flying without the FMS can be quite a satisfying experience (in fact, the B1900D didn't have one to begin with so I've already had plenty opportunity to practice flying by navaids).  I think I'll leave the FMS until a bit later, and pay good attention to the various tutorials, with the manuals handy.  Now I'll need to find the time...

Cheers,
Emile Bax.

There is a fantastic video tutorial on you tube for the J4100 well worth seeking out.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I'd say read a few guides/tutorials on here on starting and stopping the engines, then jump straight in to the tutorial and see how you get on. Although I did read the AOM cover to cover first myself, the tutorial is superb and will teach you the basics quite nicely, and then you can read through the AOM at your leisure later to learn more advanced features.

Once you have got your head around the operating principle of the engines, it's a very fun machine to fly!

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

fs2crew highly recommended.

ZORAN