Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

Printing out the Eyepoint values on-screen?

In some of the aircraft I fly, the eyepoint in the VC is just completely off. They have you sit with your nose pressed against the panel, or too far back so you can't even see the gauges, or too low to see over the panel etc. Sometimes they even position you between the front seats rather than in the left seat...

Normally when flying these planes, I start by adjusting the eyepoint (ctrl/shift enter/backspace). In order for the change to be permanent you need to edit the aircraft.cfg. This involves a *lot* of trial and error since you have to reload the plane for the change to take effect. Is there any way to print out the current eyepoint value (X, Y, Z) on-screen for reference? Maybe even a utility to make the change to the .cfg directly from within FS?

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

If you are using Notepad to open the .cfg file you can just highlight that part of the .cfg file and print it out.

EZCA and/or TrackIR will take care of this issue for you.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Not completely. Trackir still resets to the predefined eyepoint position.

I don't know about anything that OP asks, but there is "aircraft reload" keyboard shortcut in FSX that could speed up the process a little.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

And don't forget to save the modified numbers in the same folder you saved your ad-don,for reinstall.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

. Is there any way to print out the current eyepoint value (X, Y, Z) on-screen for reference?

No, there isn't .

I guess what you are trying to do:

1. Adapt the eyepoint visually, by shifting it manually with keyboard commands,  to your preference.

2. Then read the current eyepoint position (relative to the aircraft datum position)

3. Edit the aircraft.cfg with these new values, to make it permanent.

(or even a tool that does step 2/3 automatically).

You would a gauge that does 2.; as far as I know, nobody has made such a gauge.

Problem is, that the current eyepoint position cannot be read with an xml-coded gauge, otherwise I could help you on the spot (I need such a gauge for another purpose as well).

FSX does provide the current eyepoint data, but in a var structure that can be read from SImConnect; hence from a C/C++ coded gauge only.

Rob

If you are using Notepad to open the .cfg file you can just highlight that part of the .cfg file and print it out.

That would only give me the original values, which I already have. I need the current eyepoint values after having adjusted the viewpoint within FS.

No, there isn't .

I guess what you are trying to do:

1. Adapt the eyepoint visually, by shifting it manually with keyboard commands,  to your preference.

2. Then read the current eyepoint position (relative to the aircraft datum position)

3. Edit the aircraft.cfg with these new values, to make it permanent.

(or even a tool that does step 2/3 automatically).

You would a gauge that does 2.; as far as I know, nobody has made such a gauge.

Problem is, that the current eyepoint position cannot be read with an xml-coded gauge, otherwise I could help you on the spot (I need such a gauge for another purpose as well).

FSX does provide the current eyepoint data, but in a var structure that can be read from SImConnect; hence from a C/C++ coded gauge only.

Rob

Interesting. Surprised no one has done this. This has bothered me since the early FS9 days when I started flying from the VC exclusively. Some developers just have different preferences to me when it comes to the eyepoint, and some don't seem to pay much attention at all to be honest.

Came to think, do you know what each "click" corresponds to in terms of the actual value? For example, with Aircraft A, I might always lower the viewpoint three steps and move it backwards five or something similar.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Ideal Flight 10 program does what you want. It can save all your eyepoint settings for each plane and enables them automatically when you launch FSX through IF 10. IF10 does so many other great things too btw.

That would only give me the original values, which I already have. I need the current eyepoint values after having adjusted the viewpoint within FS.

Aren't you adjusting the values in a .cfg flie?

It seems that the shift/ctrl adjusted settings have to reside somewhere in the saved flight date. 

If I change my eyepoints, then save the flight, when I reload it, the eyepoint is the same as I left it.

So... is it buried somewhere in the *.FLT or *.FSAVE files for the saved flight?

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Just get EZDok and stop making life so difficult for yourself. I used to adjust my eye points manually for years until EZDok was released, then the nightmare was over. TrackIR and EZDok work perfectly together and it makes moving eye points and creating whole new viewpoints/cameras child's play, it literally takes less than a minute to setup a view once you are proficient.

Cheers, Andy.