Sign in to follow this  
BilboBaggins

Ant's Airplanes T-28D: what a great job!

I know this mainly seems to be the "betting on when the PMDG 777 will release" forum these days , but I wanted to mention briefly how impressed with _this_ release I am. And, you can buy it right now! Just like the Majestic Q400!

It doesn't have an FMC or special super-duper G1000 gauges, nor is it the A2A Simulations P-51 Mustang (though it's amazingly damn close in quality to the latter on many fronts! Without the latter's in-depth physical and sound modeling, of course), but it is a very faithful recreation of the T-28, and is an absolute joy to fly.

It has that same VROOM! feel the P-51 does, though clearly it's different from a Mustang. More stately, less crazy, but with a comparable thrust/weight profile in performance. A little easier to slow down.

The VC is extremely well done, as are all the many included liveries. The FDE is unassailable. The sounds are great, though just slightly quieter than I dimly remember from having been up in the air in the real thing (though in the latter case, I also remember being astonished at how smooth and quiet the real thing is, given the honking huge engine on it).

Best of all, the documentation is literate, thorough, and strikes exactly the right balance between 4,000 pages of bureaucratic FAA pedantry and a page of brief notes cut and pasted together by a defector from the Taiwanese Navy in a drunken late night orgy....

The plane itself is unique, and readily fills an easy-on-the-FPS steam gauge GA slot in my fleet. Clearly this developer has paid very painstaking attention to detail on all fronts, in ways much bigger teams could learn from. He has a "do it right the first time" approach, and I doubt it will have to need any patches post-release.

Works fine in Windows 8, too!

Miss this one at your peril!

It's a far more pleasant way to spend your free time than anxiously grieving over the perpetual imminence of something else that will show up when it's time, and not sooner.

Like this T-28D clearly did. :)

Steve

Add a few screenshots and you would have a full blown review.  I like it also, mostly for all the same reasons.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Steve,

Beautifully stated!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks!

I'd load a few screenshots but am hesitant to go through yet another online website registration process, be it Flickr, photobucket or whatever....

Here are a few pics.  Really nice!!!

CK

Thanks! I'd load a few screenshots but am hesitant to go through yet another online website registration process, be it Flickr, photobucket or whatever....

Have your tried using the Avsim Full Editor feature? Nothing else needed for screenshots.

Ray

Okay, let's see if this works: took 8MB .BMP "V"-key shot and downsized via Photoshop to .jpg, and attached it -- is that how to do it? Sunset at KSEA North Parking. :)

A bloody good A$19.95s worth. Or 15 miserable quid. An absolute steal. :good:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I own every other aircraft that Ant has made, and they are fantastic, high quality, immersive, excellent value add-ons .... but alas, as good as this one looks and sounds, it fits into the rare category for me of:-

"I just have absolutely zero interest in the real aircraft, and no desire to operate a virtual version of it; no matter how good it is".

It's probably just because it's military themed; and I don't dig anything military.

A Jabiru of this quality would have been a "buy within 5 seconds" job !!

But despite my moan, I wish Ant the absolute best with this; I hope it sells like hot cakes, as he deserves it.

:smile:

I own every other aircraft that Ant has made, and they are fantastic, high quality, immersive, excellent value add-ons .... but alas, as good as this one looks and sounds, it fits into the rare category for me of:-

"I just have absolutely zero interest in the real aircraft, and no desire to operate a virtual version of it; no matter how good it is".

It's probably just because it's military themed; and I don't dig anything military.

A Jabiru of this quality would have been a "buy within 5 seconds" job !!

But despite my moan, I wish Ant the absolute best with this; I hope it sells like hot cakes, as he deserves it.

:smile:

That is OK.  Just go ahead and buy it but use my email address.  Thanks.

Ray

Ok with my new-found powers, a little series tour of a flight just now from ORBX KJAC to ORBX KIDA (Jackson Hole, WY to Idaho Falls, ID).

Taking off. Seems to be Jackson Hole Conference Day yet again, do these guys ever work?!

Stuck waiting for a Mooney Bravo on final... took him forever to taxi off the runway, and I thought I was bad!

Finally.

Hate it when IFR ATC steers you RIGHT into the mountain; I'm climbing as fast as I can, mom!

Okay looks like I'll live.

Continued next post.....

Okay, let's see if this works: took 8MB .BMP "V"-key shot and downsized via Photoshop to .jpg, and attached it -- is that how to do it? Sunset at KSEA North Parking. :)

attachicon.gifT28-1.jpg

Yep, just that easy.  Most all the picture viewers will load a bmp and save as a jpg as a super quick file converter.  There is a file size limit for the uploads.

Ray

Ray

Just a few more, I'll leave it at that -- can't figure out how to sequence shots and titles, oh well.  I'll limit myself to fewer uploads in the future, promise!  The attention to detail on the rotary engine is amazing.

I like the engine sounds.  Especially at startup.

Ray