Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

A weekend of eye-opening...64 bit---and NEVER going back....

Your enthusiasm inspired me to make a video of my new Carenado Centurion over the Grand Canyon. It rendered darker than when I captured the video but does show off the amazing HDR cockpit effects in the Carenado cockpit. I bought it on Friday, and man, it is awesome. The sounds are great and the HD textures crisp. I will make a daytime video soon.

Cheers

Steve

Why is it a lot of the X-Plane vids take place at night?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Dont know?  It does look good at night but I just searched on you tube and the first 6 pages back had 5 at night, out of about 100 (20 per page)

My question exactly Mike. Sure, XP looks great at night, but to be absolutely honest, XP is not a patch on my sim when I'm flying in Orbx scenery with REX in my Realair Lancair. I don't experience much in the the way of stuttering, except on occasions when taxiing around some of the big hubs. But maybe I'm in the minority 'cos I run FSX with realsitic settings and don't expect to run it with every setting set on maximum. If the only prerequisite for buying into XP is that it is stutter free, then IMO that's not enough.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

My question exactly Mike. Sure, XP looks great at night, but to be absolutely honest, XP is not a patch on my sim when I'm flying in Orbx scenery with REX in my Realair Lancair. I don't experience much in the the way of stuttering, except on occasions when taxiing around some of the big hubs. But maybe I'm in the minority 'cos I run FSX with realsitic settings and don't expect to run it with every setting set on maximum. If the only prerequisite for buying into XP is that it is stutter free, then IMO that's not enough.

As I said, if you think there is a conspiracy that xplane videos are all at night then do what I did, type xplane in youtube.    For the first 100 videos only 5/6 were night flying.

There is a hint in your post that people are trying to hide what it looks like in the day time.    The number of videos of day vs night dont support that in the slightest.

Holy cow, I did the youtube test by typing in FSX and there were just as many night time flying videos as xplane.   This has me thinking, why so many, whats fsx got to hide ;)

As I said, if you think there is a conspiracy that xplane videos are all at night then do what I did, type xplane in youtube.    For the first 100 videos only 5/6 were night flying.

There is a hint in your post that people are trying to hide what it looks like in the day time.    The number of videos of day vs night dont support that in the slightest.

Holy cow, I did the youtube test by typing in FSX and there were just as many night time flying videos as xplane.   This has me thinking, why so many, whats fsx got to hide ;)

Aplologies Jason, I didn't want to come across like I was on the offensive or anything, it's just that most Xplane vids I have seen have in fact been at night and the ones I've seen during the day are IMO abysmal due to the bloomin awful clouds.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

this is not night :lol:

ILM_2_0_3_zpsd2e18cb0.jpg

or this old video of both day/night

No it's not, and it is excellent scenery. But IMO there are so many other aspects of XP that need to be taken into consideration before making the jump. Don't get me wrong, I think it's superb, but like so many other things in life, while it has enormous potential, I don't believe it has a future, unless some of the game changing developers invest in it. BTW, I would love to eat my hat

EDIT: Actually I will correct that statement... XP10 does of course have a future, no doubt a good one, I guess what I really want to say is that XP's future's FULL potential will not be realised without other major devs getting on board.

Howard

Aplologies Jason, I didn't want to come across like I was on the offensive or anything, it's just that most Xplane vids I have seen have in fact been at night and the ones I've seen during the day are IMO abysmal due to the bloomin awful clouds.

No apologies required, at all.

I was just reading between the lines of what I thought was the reason behind the last two questions.  I wasnt offended by it or anything :)

Xplane is the future just not version 10 of it. Think XP 12 by that time by regional autogen scenery and land class data to far surpass fsx start to feel like semi realistic cities. It's not gonna be leaps and bounds progress with Xplane it's slow behind the scenes incremental improvements. FSX can't see how much further it can progress. Xplane going right direction long term and it's not gonna just be flight simulator I can see full size semi 18 wheeler with trailersthat can driven cross country or train simulator. The outerra do not see that as feasible as flight sim or P3d3 ethier.

Xplane is the future just not version 10 of it. Think XP 12 by that time by regional autogen scenery and land class data to far surpass fsx start to feel like semi realistic cities. It's not gonna be leaps and bounds progress with Xplane it's slow behind the scenes incremental improvements. FSX can't see how much further it can progress. Xplane going right direction long term and it's not gonna just be flight simulator I can see full size semi 18 wheeler with trailersthat can driven cross country or train simulator. The outerra do not see that as feasible as flight sim or P3d3 ethier.

I'm on hold for version 10.30, but I wouldn't like to do the same I did with version 8, for which I waited too long, and bought just one month before Austin announced X-Plane 9 :-/

I think you have a good point regarding this version not bringing all we wanted to see, but it's also true that there was a major makeup of this platform with the port to 64-bit. It was quite an objective, and probably even the team wasn't aware of the work it would take to go 64-bit. This will most probably leave very few time to concentrate on other features, so, yes, XP11 or even XP12 will probably be it!

Regarding P3D, I am now using version 1.4, and enjoy it, simply to be able to run a couple of airliners. Yet, it is stagnated in terms of what I find the most important in a flightsim - the flight dynamics model. Even the best add-ons for P3D leave a lot to be desired when I make my tests :-/

Then, there is my preferred, by far, simulation among almost everything I have used (well, Aerowinx PS1 excluded, and the glamour of MS FLIGHT...) - DCS World.  I wish the flight model in X-Plane could approach the quality of DCS. Curiously they both use the same approach - BET! I am using DCS World everyday. I do not use the military component, just fly around in a very feasible World, with those superb flight models (a10c, ka-50, uh.1h, su25t and the p51d).

Yet, I feel the need for a good airliner (and I can't say for sure, no one can, when Aerowinx PSX will be released...), so, using X-Plane is always a very good alternative.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'd wager that due to the improvements Laminar made to the twilight/nighttime environment, many diehard X-Plane users who enjoy taking screenshots or making videos are/were smittened by the really good looking night environment in XP10. Since it was new to them, it gets a lot of their attention... hence a lot of nighttime media. I think it's finally waning... or at least I hope it is. Nighttime vids and screenshots do not translate well when shrunk down to appropriate sizes.

Airport scenery developers will take nearly all daytime screenshots and videos because that's what they're trying to sell - and while their airports probably look good at night, they didn't spend weeks/months working on models and textures to have them cloaked in darkness.

Laminar themselves have mixed it up in very interesting ways, and a keen eye will see that they are most certainly highlighting the positives and steering away from the negatives in their screenshots and videos. Even if it's not giving the "whole" picture, I can't blame them - that's Marketing 101.

I'm getting antsy for the DSF recuts... which are months away, I know... but I'm still getting antsy...

We see the same sort of thing when browsing the FS9 vids; there are loads of airport / take off / landing shots and plane close-ups, but hardly any of the FS9 terrain or water because it's so low-res and not a pretty sight! Once LR address some of the XP10 visual weak points I'm sure we'll see a lot more varied videos.

Sesquashtoo,  you went dark on the day your disks arrived?   What happened?  interested to hear your thoughts now you have the entire world loaded and have been flying?

Hi Jason,

I just finished this morning loading up the eight disks, and am right now updating the full install to v10.21.  So, I haven't even fired up a flight as I type this.  I'm sure that I will get back to this thread regarding seeing different areas...AND...no 'did not find Disk 1....'. :)

Cheers!

My first flight with the full install 10.21...

HOLY (you know what!) The Demo doesn't even SCRATCH the magnitude of XP10.21~

Ok...in my view, the 64 bit version of the full-blown X-Plane v10.21 is the BEST, the FINEST, the most richly immersive flight sim on the market today. The visuals on my first flight were so stunning, I almost crashed the plane, because of rubber-necking, rather than flying....and all in 30 FPS full bore. This is what I have ALWAYS hoped for....and if you could only see the smile on my face as I type these words.

Any reader that can run FSX in a hot configuration that doesn't outright purchase the full v10.21 program, I offer my flight simulation condolences. You are losing out, large! You have absolutely NO IDEA, of what you are denying yourself and missing out on. You haven't got a clue. Videos, still shots, whatever...do NOT communicate what is on my screen in pause as I write this.

Ok...enough said...I'm about to go out and find myself a slice of GLOBAL...and fly, fly, fly, and touch and go's...and fly...and soak it all in....YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

See ya....will be too busy exploring, than posting the next few days..... Cheers!

@ Sesquashtoo

Hahaha...well, you certainly have the right attitude. Good stuff! :lol: