Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

A weekend of eye-opening...64 bit---and NEVER going back....

Besides the lack of stutters, auto-gen pop-ups and the dreaded blurries, the "feeling of realism" is exactly why I switched from the "other sim".

Glad to know you are enjoying it!

Carlos

me 2.  I still check out FSX/P3D sometimes but most of the time it's XPX for me.

Besides the lack of stutters, auto-gen pop-ups and the dreaded blurries, the "feeling of realism" is exactly why I switched from the "other sim".

Glad to know you are enjoying it!

Carlos

I know that my "feeling of realism" is somewhat different than some expect. There are plenty of times, that 200 mph seems like standing nearly still, while just a few thousand feet above the surface. I also sense power to weight; inertia,etc. I don't feel that either sim has a monopoly on creating those senses. Much has to do with the flight models themselves, in addition to the perception of fluidity.

perception of fluidity

Now, this is something I would have to agree with you Larry. After all, it all comes down to personal perception.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Now, this is something I would have to agree with you Larry. After all, it all comes down to personal perception.

True. But my perception comes from either piloting or flying in a long list of aircraft...... Such as the aerobatic Pitts , to the P-51 Mustang.

Edit..... I should just forget both these sims and head right over to DCS! :)

I should just forget both these sims and head right over to DCS! :)

Jcomm will give you a lift :lol:

One of the reasons I asked how you were going was because I know you were happy with the scenery in the demo.  The demo has a lot of custom scenery per M2 than the actual product.

I was curious how you might reconcile that against the actual thing.

By your quote above, you have got the fluke of the century tho have a clubhouse in the right place.   It's very good for you though, that the defualy autogen 'flavour' matches the area you fly so well.

Jason, when I stated that I could see the clubhouse at the Belle River, Ontario, Canada marina----actually, I meant that the configuration of the land around the marina was so accurate, that I could 'see' where the clubhouse in real life would stand. There were no actual auto-gen on the land spit that juts out from the Belle River shoreline....   I think that they must have taken their Global Land Models directly from satellite imagery, for it to be that accurate. All in all, for out of the wrap stock global scenery, it is quite excellent.  When I start populating airports with custom 3rd party ware, and as well as regional (that logically, is coming down the pipes) XP10 will be the all-round sim for me!  Until those custom treatments start creeping into my XP10 folder, I shall be quite happy to tool around the XP10 sky as it stands.

Mitch

Jason, when I stated that I could see the clubhouse at the Belle River, Ontario, Canada marina----actually, I meant that the configuration of the land around the marina was so accurate, that I could 'see' where the clubhouse in real life would stand. There were no actual auto-gen on the land spit that juts out from the Belle River shoreline....   I think that they must have taken their Global Land Models directly from satellite imagery, for it to be that accurate. All in all, for out of the wrap stock global scenery, it is quite excellent.  When I start populating airports with custom 3rd party ware, and as well as regional (that logically, is coming down the pipes) XP10 will be the all-round sim for me!  Until those custom treatments start creeping into my XP10 folder, I shall be quite happy to tool around the XP10 sky as it stands.

Mitch

Ahh, I see!   I thought you were one lucky SOB having autogen appear just there!

There is some reasonably freeware around to add in, I have been doing a little bit of it lately and today I was curious to find the scenery that Steve has in his video a few posts up.

I though he might have got the photoreal from here http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/Cartes.php

but after downloading the section that covers where he was it didnt seem to be the same.

So Steve, if you are reading, tell us where it came from :)

FIVE-BY-FIVE, on 14 May 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

Jcomm will give you a lift :lol:

I sure will, specially now that I am beginning to experiment the thrill of going online, on aerobatics and training servers :-)

I am running DCS on a Nvidia 650 ti very smoothly....

Yes, X-Plane10 flight dynamics model core has a lot to learn from the same BET approach followed by DCS. We just can't compare the size of the teams behind the two projects.... Also, DCS is beginning to receive support from other 3pds, just like the software house which released the great UH-1H beta (and they call it beta!!!!).

Honestly, after having had the chance to taste DCS, it is very very difficult for me not to be even more critic about MSFS / P3D, XP10, etc... It's a different World there... I just need an airliner or twin prop flight from time to time, and there are none for DCS ( yet... )

On another thread one of us described his experience on a glider flight in the UK, and how difficult he found to align the glider with a given visual reference in the horizon / terrain. It's true specially when you start flying gliders, and that sort of PIO makes you feel really bad...and even much different from the usual GA pilot experience of flying Cessnas, Pipers, etc... I never found this gyroscopic / cross-inertia effects so well modeled, or modeled at all, like in DCS World, not much because of the far from high aspect ratios of the a10c or p51d, but rather because, in the Mustang, of the superbly modeled gyroscopic effects of the big / powerful prop at the front :-)

The helicopters in X-Plane are also much better than their MSFS counterparts, but compared to either the ka-50 or Bell UH-1H in DCS World, they're sooooo easy to fly :-). I'm reading lot's of interesting sources regarding the UH-1H operations... and starting to learn how to get it going... very slowly....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I think that they must have taken their Global Land Models directly from satellite imagery, for it to be that accurate. All in all, for out of the wrap stock global scenery, it is quite excellent.

You're one of the lucky ones. The road/rail/water/shoreline work is sourced from OpenStreetMaps (circa 2011), and in some places it is absolutely fantastic, but in others, it is the polar opposite. I'm happy that you've found great enjoyment from the scenery world in your area of flight, but that which you're falling in love with is the very same thing which holds back so many of us from truly adopting X-Plane at the moment.

Thankfully, Laminar is planning an update to the scenery world over the next several months. There's no guarantee that it will hit all the trouble spots, or that all the troubles have been improved in OSM since they released X-Plane... but I'm really looking forward to that series of updates. Once they get my region updated, it's possible that X-Plane could start getting more use above and beyond a few quick flips around the pattern every month or so.

Chances are, your area of enjoyment will actually improve a bit! Imagine!

Now..back to the Grand Canyon fly over, and feeling for the first time, that I am really there...the canyon walls of vaulted rock  moving past my cockpit windows....slow...smoothly, and beautifully so.....   I'm a convert.

Mitch

Thanks for the inspiration Mitch I'm almost there too.  I'm patiently waiting to put together a high perf system and when I do I will START w/ installing XP10.21 or whatever is out then.  I'm quite disappointed w/ continuing to support what I see as a dying platform in FSX, however well developed it is at this time.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

So Steve, if you are reading, tell us where it came from :)

Sorry guys, all the videos I have posted in the past have been my own work but unfortunately not this one. I found this on youtube (published 2 days ago) and just posted it as an example of good 'daytime' video of Xplane 10. However, the scenery does look like it is from http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/Cartes.php

I have downloaded photoscenery from that site for Northern Italy and Switzerland and it looks of the same quality. I highly recommend dowloading photoscenery for these regions. It's free and really breathtaking in certain areas.

Apart from the Alps, I'd also recommend downloading photoscenery on the French Riviera around Nice and Monaco. It fits really well with the default Aersoft Nice Cote D'Azur airport included in Xplane 10 (one of the better 'free' airport conversions). Also you can add openscenery planes and objects to Nice found on X-plane.org that really add to the aiport's atmosphere.

It looks great when you add all these together!

You're one of the lucky ones. The road/rail/water/shoreline work is sourced from OpenStreetMaps (circa 2011), and in some places it is absolutely fantastic, but in others, it is the polar opposite. I'm happy that you've found great enjoyment from the scenery world in your area of flight, but that which you're falling in love with is the very same thing which holds back so many of us from truly adopting X-Plane at the moment.

Thankfully, Laminar is planning an update to the scenery world over the next several months. There's no guarantee that it will hit all the trouble spots, or that all the troubles have been improved in OSM since they released X-Plane... but I'm really looking forward to that series of updates. Once they get my region updated, it's possible that X-Plane could start getting more use above and beyond a few quick flips around the pattern every month or so.

Chances are, your area of enjoyment will actually improve a bit! Imagine!

To Greg, Jason, and Five, ......I just spent this morning putting in around 25 airports and photo-real scenery packs. Guys and Gals, I am BLOWN AWAY by what they do for the sim. Lord....equal to, or exceeds in many cases add-on for my compare-base, FSX. WOW, wow, and shall I say...."wow....". I am having a blast, such a blast and fun, that I think someone is going to bust down the den door and haul this all away.... I installed three locks this morning just in case, ROTFLMBO! Nah....but I do look over my shoulder, lololol. This is great stuff! Seriously, the 3rd party scenery is unbelievable, and I haven't even touched 3rd party professional payware yet, I don't have TIME right now...lol. So many places to taxi and gawk...so many places to lift off from. OH>..OH>...one thing, I was waiting to taxi at KFNT (freeware), and a commercial came in...and my JAW DROPPED as upon touchdown, I'll be damned if the wings DID NOT FLEX downward towards the runway before assuming proper positioning, along with screech of tires, and smoke. The visible exhaust is just another reason I am now 'so hooked through the mouth' with this entire platform. For the fence-sitters....my absolute condolences....poor folk. They are keeping themselves out in the cold, from all the fun!

To Greg, Jason, and Five, ......I just spent this morning putting in around 25 airports and photo-real scenery packs. Guys and Gals, I am BLOWN AWAY by what they do for the sim. Lord....equal to, or exceeds in many cases add-on for my compare-base, FSX. WOW, wow, and shall I say...."wow....". I am having a blast, such a blast and fun, that I think someone is going to bust down the den door and haul this all away.... I installed three locks this morning just in case, ROTFLMBO! Nah....but I do look over my shoulder, lololol. This is great stuff! Seriously, the 3rd party scenery is unbelievable, and I haven't even touched 3rd party professional payware yet, I don't have TIME right now...lol. So many places to taxi and gawk...so many places to lift off from. OH>..OH>...one thing, I was waiting to taxi at KFNT (freeware), and a commercial came in...and my JAW DROPPED as upon touchdown, I'll be damned if the wings DID NOT FLEX downward towards the runway before assuming proper positioning, along with screech of tires, and smoke. The visible exhaust is just another reason I am now 'so hooked through the mouth' with this entire platform. For the fence-sitters....my absolute condolences....poor folk. They are keeping themselves out in the cold, from all the fun!

get therapy you addict :lol:  :P  :LMAO: ........I will recommend you my FlightSim Doctor :good:

FIVE-BY-FIVE, on 14 May 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

FIVE-BY-FIVE, on 14 May 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

get therapy you addict :lol: :P :LMAO: ........I will recommend you my FlightSim Doctor :good:

LOL!  Okee-Dokee :)