Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

A weekend of eye-opening...64 bit---and NEVER going back....

I think that they must have taken their Global Land Models directly from satellite imagery, for it to be that accurate.

You're not this wrong: see this post.

However the "Global Land Models" are not taken from satellite imagery, but from so called land use data. A very interesting article about the scenery system can be found here.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Thanks for the inspiration Mitch I'm almost there too.  I'm patiently waiting to put together a high perf system and when I do I will START w/ installing XP10.21 or whatever is out then.  I'm quite disappointed w/ continuing to support what I see as a dying platform in FSX, however well developed it is at this time.  

Noel, when you do drop the dime, you'll have just as much fun exploring the merits of XP10 as I have.  I think that I have done as much rubber-necking around the sim, as I have in flying through it.  There are some pretty killer add-on freeware airports out there, and I haven't even scratched the surface.  BTW, download KFNT (Flint/Bishop) off of XPlane.org  This rivals payware on any other system. Also, you have two really busy Interstates that you shoot over near the thresholds, which with HDR, is killer in itself.  Day approaches are as good as anything out there. Night approaches BLOWS past anything else out there.  You'll soon see for yourself......  Enjoy when you get it.  Oh, one more important thing, before you download any custom airports or scenery, you should get the 4 basic texture and obj libraries. This will save you the headache of no-joy start ups because files needed to drive the scenery and airports are missing shared files. Look for my hair-pulling post about airports not running and CTD...and you will see within that post, the names of the required libraries. Just Google them, and you will find the links to download. 

I think that they must have taken their Global Land Models directly from satellite imagery, for it to be that accurate.

You're not this wrong: see this post.

However the "Global Land Models" are not taken from satellite imagery, but from so called land use data. A very interesting article about the scenery system can be found here.

Thanks Uwe for pointing to my - meanwhile - old article. But it still gives you a quite good overview about how the Global Scenery (and its derivatives like my HD Mesh) are built.

And just in some short words to Sesquashtoo : well, we do not interprete the sattelite images ourselves, but there are enough government etc. projects out there, which do the classification on their own (because its a quite scientifically complex process which you can't just do overnight). The keywords for the relevant geodata sets are usually "land class", "land use" or "land cover"  ...

(PS: just as we speak, I am experimenting with some new, high res landclass data for Japan, which should bring some nice improvements in that region ...)

(PS: just as we speak, I am experimenting with some new, high res landclass data for Japan, which should bring some nice improvements in that region ...)

Looking forward to it Andras. You've done some amazing things with X-Plane 10.

Oh, one more important thing, before you download any custom airports or scenery, you should get the 4 basic texture and obj libraries.

With all of the great sounding work that's been done over these many years w/ XP, it's surprising basic buildings at most airports hasn't been accomplished yet.  And these 'basic' libraries:  why hasn't this been incorporated into the initial install?  Oh well, guess it can't all be done at once but it seems this is one of very things that keeps more migration from happening.  It will be a while until I partake as I'm going to wait til my next build, and for that I'm waiting to see how Haswell performs before making a decision.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

With all of the great sounding work that's been done over these many years w/ XP, it's surprising basic buildings at most airports hasn't been accomplished yet.

That door just opened with 10.21 and the release of WED 1.2b3. Finally, airport designers (*who Laminar Research depend upon for anything but the most basic of airports) can submit their airport layouts WITH buildings, such as hangars and terminals, to the master database.  In the coming weeks/months, default airports which have been submitted by designers will start showing up "out-of-the-box" with some buildings... I've personally submitted (42) airports with buildings into the queue, with more on the way. I hope they'll show up with the next release cycle.

And these 'basic' libraries: why hasn't this been incorporated into the initial install?

Copyright issues - those other libraries are truly 3rd party work and due to the problematic permissions which would need to be worked out, those 3rd party libraries are kept out of the default install for both legal and "best practice" reasons.

What would be great is if the default libraries could be enhanced with more objects and items... there are a very limited number of buildings and items in the default library, and the default library is the only one you can use when submitting airports with buildings to the master database. A wider selection of all things airports - hangars, buildings, vehicles, etc. - would be greatly appreciated by the armchair airport designers.

I've personally submitted (42) airports with buildings into the queue, with more on the way.

Wow...you've been working hard! I hope to see them included along with the next recut

Oooh, could you kindly let us know when that's done? I live in Japan and if you can get the scenery looking like the real thing that might give me the final push to invest in XP10.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Oooh, could you kindly let us know when that's done? I live in Japan and if you can get the scenery looking like the real thing that might give me the final push to invest in XP10.

It will never look like the real thing (its not a photo scenery or something like that) ... it will ... uhm ... just come much closer to reality than before (where and how detailed forests / cities / fields etc. are placed).
And the timing ... maybe some of this will make it to the default global scenery re-cut (depending on Bens plans when and what he updates). But I am quite sure, that I will add Japan to my HD Mesh v2 series, as it will be really worth it now. And that should come around June / July.

Wow...you've been working hard! I hope to see them included along with the next recut

Make it (46) submitted airports now...  some admittedly better than others, but I'm chomping at the bit to see what other contributions are being made and how detailed they are getting.  I'm doing mostly smaller airfields, as I prefer to get one airport wrapped up and completed in one or two sessions, rather than spending days and days on one multi-runway big commercial/international airport.

It will never look like the real thing (its not a photo scenery or something like that) ... it will ... uhm ... just come much closer to reality than before (where and how detailed forests / cities / fields etc. are placed).

And the timing ... maybe some of this will make it to the default global scenery re-cut (depending on Bens plans when and what he updates). But I am quite sure, that I will add Japan to my HD Mesh v2 series, as it will be really worth it now. And that should come around June / July.

that sounds great! i just can't understand why your new zealand didn't it make into the xp10 delivery and gets marketed by LR accordingly.

For Japan, combine new land class with some HD mesh, a few Japstyle + Airport buildings and some landmarks and XP10 default outperforms even orbx.

It is sooooooooooooooooooo darn frustrating.  XPX/64bit is so smooth and stable that I can fly long haul trips with the T7 Worldliner without any problems, yet FSX still has such tempting addons like the PMDG T7, Megascenery V.2 and Majestic Dash8 Q400, but if I fly any of them and I will struggle with OOMs.

Please, developers, will you please switch your efforts to the sim of the future, X-Plane 10/64bit, and quit wasting your time on a dead 32 bit horse like FSX.

It is sooooooooooooooooooo darn frustrating.  XPX/64bit is so smooth and stable that I can fly long haul trips with the T7 Worldliner without any problems, yet FSX still has such tempting addons like the PMDG T7, Megascenery V.2 and Majestic Dash8 Q400, but if I fly any of them and I will struggle with OOMs.

Please, developers, will you please switch your efforts to the sim of the future, X-Plane 10/64bit, and quit wasting your time on a dead 32 bit horse like FSX.

Lord, I'm going get flamed for this, but I agree with you. Oh, BTW, you might want to think about changing your handle, LOLOLOLOL.  Actually, I would like to see them not abandon anything...but merely start supporting XPX with 64 bit offerings. I'd be as happy as a well, you-know-what, and it squeals.

Lord, I'm going get flamed for this, but I agree with you. Oh, BTW, you might want to think about changing your handle, LOLOLOLOL.  Actually, I would like to see them not abandon anything...but merely start supporting XPX with 64 bit offerings. I'd be as happy as a well, you-know-what, and it squeals.

XPXman :lol:

Soon we will know what PMDG have up their sleeve for xp10 owners.....I have a feeling it's gonna be something BIG....maybe a 787 or their NGX converted for xpx. :Praying:

XPXman

I wonder if Avsim will allow me to do that  :Idea:

How about that!! Check out my new name  :wub:

Soon we will know what PMDG have up their sleeve for xp10 owners.....I have a feeling it's gonna be something BIG....maybe a 787 or their NGX converted for xpx.

They need to do something big with XPX10.  As it stands now, I won't be buying the T7 for FSX.  Not that it won't be amazing, just that my FSX will puke when I load it up.