Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

A weekend of eye-opening...64 bit---and NEVER going back....

I can sit there and read them for hours! Why do I enjoy reading them so much -lol There are some good reviews here, even the reviews that prefer FSX make some good valid points. However, there are some frankly bizarre 1 star reviews, such as:

"This review is from: X-PLANE 10 (PC/Mac DVD) (DVD-ROM)

i kan play it BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BNAD BAD BAD BAD BAD ba"

I haven't left anything out in the above quote that is the actual full 'review'.

To be fair though, the majority of them (including the low scoring reviews) are pretty helpful and refreshingly honest.

Rhydian

also remember that these reviews were for xp10 vanilla....not the updated Super Duper 64bit 10.20+

also remember that these reviews were for xp10 vanilla....not the updated Super Duper 64bit 10.20+

I have used FSX for years and have tons of addon for it. All payware.

Yet, the more detailed, complex and real the payware addons are for FSX, the more I struggle with the heartbreak and disappointment of the memory limitations of this 32bit dinosaur.

XPX10/64 has a ways to go before it is right on par with the quality of FSX addons like the NGX or Q400, but the payware addons that are available for it now, added with the extreme smoothness and reliability of XPX10/64, completely blows away any benefits that FSX has today.

I will NOT be buying the PMDG T7. Not because it will fall short of being simply amazing, but because it will make my sick and aging FSX puke its guts out. The Q400 will be the last highly complex payware addon that I buy for FSX.

I love FSX, but it don't love me :Black Eye:

At the rate it is going now, it will be no time at all before XPX10/64 catches up with the high quality addons that are in FSX.

they are only for buyers of the GLOBAL EDITION DVD SET of XP10.....not sure if they are offered as a download.

I have the Global Edition DVD XP10 set, but I bought mine from X-Plane.org, not from Aerosoft.

I have the Global Edition DVD XP10 set, but I bought mine from X-Plane.org, not from Aerosoft.

it's just for Aerosoft buyers   :lol:  :P  email Austin.....he might have a download link to the Airports.

it's just for Aerosoft buyers   :lol:  :P  email Austin.....he might have a download link to the Airports.

I might do that...I never thought to buy it from Aerosoft.  Thanks.

I dont know where my post went!  I had just said that I didnt buy the global edition from aerosoft and I have all of the airports.

Well, I guess so but one of the big deterrents for me to continue using FSX is how much installation one has to do to get the up to speed.  I think a killer project would be to take all of the freeware airports, install them into one installer and be done w/ it.  Perhaps it could be a commercial addon w/ many freeware folks contributing and get a small royalty, or something along those lines.  I guess I'm asking for too much at this time but that's what would tempt me into a wholesale migration.

Noel, I find it couldn't be easier!  Here's one example for the airport-add routine.

1. Go to XPlane.org and sign in with an account.  Go to XPX scenery, and have at it....browse through the many titles, and download what you fancy. Open up your XPX desktop folder, and see where the Custom Scenery is.  Be ready to drop airports into it.  Double click to open the x.zip file you just downloaded and no need to even unzip it first.  Just highlight the xxxx.folder inside the zip file, and drag over and highlight the Custom Scenery folder.  Release, and all is done!  You don't even have to enter any configs into the XPX scenery folder. With each start, it polls that folder and adds the new discovery. I have over 40 keepers in there right now.  Noel, it could not be easier....ball in your court.

I'm leaving xplane 64 bit and going back to 32. Once I turned off "compress vram textures" (thanks Pirata for pointing me here) I got rid of the immediate crash in 32 I was having for the last 6 months in xplane 32. 

Since then it runs buttery smooth (just as smooth as in 64) with most things I value turned up to the max,  all my add ins work, and I haven't seen an out of memory crash what would be the point?

The reality xp Garmin's are such an important part of reality and training that unless Garmin comes up with a 64 bit trainer (which I doubt) there will be no way for me (and I suspect other pilot's)  who need this valuable tool to move into 64. Having a useful tool that saves much rw money is just too important.

I'm leaving xplane 64 bit and going back to 32. Once I turned off "compress vram textures" (thanks Pirata for pointing me here) I got rid of the immediate crash in 32 I was having for the last 6 months in xplane 32. 

Since then it runs buttery smooth (just as smooth as in 64) with most things I value turned up to the max,  all my add ins work, and I haven't seen an out of memory crash what would be the point?

The reality xp Garmin's are such an important part of reality and training that unless Garmin comes up with a 64 bit trainer (which I doubt) there will be no way for me (and I suspect other pilot's)  who need this valuable tool to move into 64. Having a useful tool that saves much rw money is just too important.

Funny thing Geofa, Laminar states that you want to use this feature, that it allows higher graphic performance, but....with my Carenado purchase yesterday, in their manual for the Bonanza, they state to TURN IT OFF, as it will degrade graphic textures. So who know what about it...you'd think that you would get less CTD with it on as it tries to keep your vram pool down.  Who knows, but glad to read that you are happy, and have found what you need!  Happy personal training!

I will NOT be buying the PMDG T7. Not because it will fall short of being simply amazing, but because it will make my sick and aging FSX puke its guts out. The Q400 will be the last highly complex payware addon that I buy for FSX.

+1

The last add-on I purchased for FSX was the Airbus X Extended and as great an add-on as it is, I now have the JARDesign A320 in X-Plane which is almost on par since the VC update they released.

I'll await future XP10 releases from PMDG especially the NGX or 744X, I'd be willing to pay again for those too. Would actually love to see a nicely modeled B744 in X-Plane as it was the first complex add-on I ever bought and really taught me a thing or two.

I have over 40 keepers in there right now.  Noel, it could not be easier....ball in your court.

Fair enough ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Funny thing Geofa, Laminar states that you want to use this feature, that it allows higher graphic performance, but....with my Carenado purchase yesterday, in their manual for the Bonanza, they state to TURN IT OFF, as it will degrade graphic textures. So who know what about it...you'd think that you would get less CTD with it on as it tries to keep your vram pool down.  Who knows, but glad to read that you are happy, and have found what you need!  Happy personal training!

I thought that feature was for cards with not enough VRAM that would otherwise be swapping out the textures from VRAM to the computers RAM.

So, if you dont have enough VRAM it will be a performance improvement over all the swapping going on over the pci bus/ram.  It will also have a loss on quality.

If you have enough VRAM then leave it off.

Problem is when the sim crashes (and it does here and there) xplane turns the vram setting back on  if you accept the default rendering which you usually have to to get back into the sim and hopefully uncheck the vram before it crashes again because vram is checked :blink: . 

Hey that is a Mexican brand!!!!

lol!!!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo