Sign in to follow this  
ingcarlos26

which one do you recommend: BN-2 Islander or BAe Jetstream 41

I only have money for one of those.  Both are on sale this weekend.

Just flight has the BN-2 for $24.99.  Aerosoft has the PMDG JS41 for $35.27.

Which one do you recommend?

Which one is more demanding or cause performance issues?

I only have money for one of those. Both are on sale this weekend.

Just flight has the BN-2 for $24.99. Aerosoft has the PMDG JS41 for $35.27.

Which one do you recommend?

Which one is more demanding or cause performance issues?

What kind of flying do you like to do?

You're gonna have to decide for yourself here.  They are so completely different as to be mutually exclusive.   You're sort of asking "which do I want, a Piper Cub or a Cessna Citation Mustang.

I do know that the Islander is fairly easy on hardware etc.  Never fooled with the J41

They're two quite different aircraft. The J41 is a turboprop whereas the BN-2 is a piston engined aircraft. They're both beautifully modelled inside and out. The BN-2 by its nature is a far simpler aircraft to fly with less complex instruments and systems. It's also I've found much less of a burden on system performance. I have both and would say out of the two I've had far more use out of the BN-2 than the J41, but then I rather like low and slow, scenic flights!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

The BN-2 is perfect for island hopping as it has excellent short field performance and is just the right size for small island strips!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

If it's island hopping you seek, +1 for the BN-2. However, for the sake of giving you the choice between 2 contenders in the same category, an alternative might be the excellent DH-6 TwOtter by Aerosoft. It can do island hops as well, but also has floats and skis/skiwheels in case you'd like to land in the water, or do some short hops in snowy areas. 

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd,6410344120,10709

I'm not preaching against the BN-2, I have it myself personally and love it, but the Twin Otter is a plane designed for similar purposes. 

Ray

Wait a few weeks and get the new Twin Otter extended. Will be well worth the wait! Faster cruise than the BN-2 but designed for small strips.

-Iain Watson-