Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

06MAY13 - PMDG 777 External Model Preview #1 of 2

Captains-

We have a bit of a special feature for you tonight- in the form of an external model preview DOUBLE FEATURE!

Tonight we get you up close and personal with the exterior detail of the PMDG 777-200LR.  This is by far the most detailed model we have yet created (well- excepting the PMDG 747-400 v2.0 exterior model- but we aren't previewing that tonight... <cough>)

Okay- lets start with a cool view of the left wingtip.  You get a real nice sense for the detail in such things as the lights, the structural bend of the wing as it flexes in flight, and the details of the engine and pylon on this massive airplane.

pmdg_777_exterior_1.jpg

Next up we have a great nose-on shot.  This is one of my favorite in-flight views of the 777 because you get a strong sense of the structural integrity of the tail, the massive airmass ingesting capability of the engines...  The detail work put into the reflective layers show up really nicely in this view as well...

pmdg_777_exterior_2.jpg

Same rough position, but from higher up.  You really get a sense for the wingspan in this view.  The raked tips provide a significant increase in capability throughout the entire range of speeds.  Jason has become quite accomplished at the air-to-air imaging, as evidenced here by the low sun-angle which creates those neat little shadows on the ridge of the fuselage behind the satellite receivers...

pmdg_777_exterior_3.jpg

If you have ever stood near the end of the runway and watched one of these monsters pass over your head, this image will trigger the aural synapse that stored away the powerful sound of those huge engines...  This angle gives a really nice perspective on the reflective layer and the use of various materials to give different surfaces different lighting and reflective qualities.

pmdg_777_exterior_5.jpg

The image below is another one of my favorite perspectives on this magnificent airplane.  You get an interesting view angle up into the cockpit and you can see the light refraction through the indium heating element sandwiched inside the window layers.  You also get a great showcase of the reflective maps at work on the fuselage, and some of the inlet scoops (which are active in accordance with their associated systems, by the way) and the various gear door details, leading edge facets, etc.  This airplane is absolutely packed with detail...

pmdg_777_exterior_12.jpg

Immediately after touchdown.  More detail in this perspective, including the fact that Jason landed right-of-centerline because he was obviously distracted while trying to make sure he appeared in the cockpit window during the shot...  We have left him a note in his mailbox asking him to stop by the Chief Pilot's office...  You can get a good feel for the detail level of the flap mechanics if you look closely here...

pmdg_777_exterior_14.jpg

More great perspective to show you the detail level of the flap/slat mechanisms.  These images were taken using Flight Test Hull #1...  The airplane has been getting quite a workout- you can tell because the bluing agent used on the exhaust cone of the engine has been replaced by soot.  (You can see the bluing agent in some later images...)

pmdg_777_exterior_17.jpg

This following image is pretty similar to the one above, except for one major point:  Jason is too fast on the approach...  And the airplane is trying to save his career for him.  Any of you guys know what the airplane is doing right now, and more importantly- what benefit it is bringing to Jason's long term career prospects?

(Yes...  I was a chief pilot... and yes... this is the kind of stuff you notice when you are responsible for such things... Poor Jason never stood a chance.  :ph34r: )

pmdg_777_exterior_20.jpg

Okay- eight images in this thread...  and eight more coming in the next thread...  Lots more detail to show you, including some night images!

(And yes, the "What else can we write up Jason for doing" easter-egg hunt continues!)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

This following image is pretty similar to the one above, except for one major point: Jason is too fast on the approach... And the airplane is trying to save his career for him. Any of you guys know what the airplane is doing right now, and more importantly- what benefit it is bringing to Jason's long term career prospects?

Rob,

Has it got something to do with the flaperon being retracted.. The flaperon being a lift augmentation device, the retraction of it would reduce lift, helping on a fast approach to get the bird down safe. Last time I read this is an automatic feature of the PFC.. Does the same thing when the spoilers are deployed to reduce lift on touchdown..

In regards to what benefit it brings, no idea... Maybe less time he needs to wait until he can drink beer at the airport bar, instead of going around and doing another pattern/circuit...that's never fun!

thank you !!!!

Clinton Royston Fernandes.

Vabb-Mumbai India.

Robert, you owe me a new keyboard.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Wow, she's a real stunner!

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Wow! That is indeed a treat. They are awesome! Love the detail. 

You mean to say the 747V2 can possibly be more detailed than that?

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Amazing news ! 

Thanks Robert !

Has it got something to do with the flaperon being retracted.. The flaperon being a lift augmentation device, the retraction of it would reduce lift, helping on a fast approach to get the bird down safe. Last time I read this is an automatic feature of the PFC.. Does the same thing when the spoilers are deployed to reduce lift on touchdown..

James-

In aviation we have a saying:  Never say any more than you absolutely need to say when answering a question. 

Example:  In interviews I would ask the candidate if he knew what time it was.  If he replied, "yes" or "no" then he was paying attention.  If he told me what time it was, he was anticipating what he THOUGHT I wanted to hear, but wasn't actually listening to what I asked him...  (Yes- that is how we tested the way people think...  fun, huh?)

So how this relates to you:  Your first sentence was correct... but your thought process after it was not...  I'm not giving you any hints tho.  B)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Jason, are you blimming kidding me? Look at those engines!  :blink: Not forgetting that beautiful wing as a whole including the raked wingtip modelled with nothing but excellence!  Don't get me started on the wing-flex  :mellow:

You know, I honestly didn't think you guys could model the 777's true beauty in FSX - fact of the matter is, you have got her done with pure perfection and precision; I guess that's why you're named 'Precision Manuals Development Group'. What a way to live up to that name! 

I could sit here talking about how on-point each photo is, however I should just let the photos speak for themselves!  :wub:  :Applause: