Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

06MAY13 - PMDG 777 External Model Preview #1 of 2

Learn something everyday. Very interesting. I imagine that this is unique only to 777, 787. Not sure about the 748 as Ive not read about it much.  They may have implemented them somehow even though its an older design?

Thanks for the explanation. And the fact that you have modeled that to such an extent is phenomenal in itself. But that would certainly live up to Precision. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Since Jason is exhibiting an extraordinary case of poor pilot technique

Wow, how did Jason ever get hired?  Did he answer "yes" to the question "do you know what time it is"??  :lol:

Thon Do,

Same boat as James.  You are correct- that is the feature- but you guys still haven't figured out WHY it is doing what it is doing...  B)    (Load relief is not a factor in this case...)

Robert, I don't know much about this aircraft however, I do enjoy thinking about how things work and why they do what they do. If this is not a load relief factor, It makes sense to me that it would possibly be for angle of attack or approach stability correction. Just a thought... If i'm right thats pretty cool, if not... I'm excited to learn why!

Gents-

Okay- a couple of you are close- but you are getting confused as to whether the airplane is increasing or decreasing pitch by retracting the flaperons...

Since Jason is exhibiting an extraordinary case of poor pilot technique, and has exceeded the landing flap Vref by more than 20 knots, the flaperon controller has gone into Landing Attitude Mode. This mode incrementally reduces flaperon droop as the overspeed progresses eventually winding up with the flaperon in the neutral position.

This has the effect of shifting the pitch up, which protects the pilot from hitting the nosewheel on the runway due to an excessively flat deck angle as a result of the undesired speed...

Key points for you guys who were guessing: This is a completely different function than overspeed protection... This is all about making sure you don't wheelbarrow the airplane down the runway if (like Jason!) you suffer from speed control problems....

Very interesting, even more so as it's not mentioned in the FCOM!

Thousands of pages and there are still so many little details omitted.

Wow, how did Jason ever get hired?  Did he answer "yes" to the question "do you know what time it is"??  :lol:

Surely he wasn't hired for his piloting skills as Capt. Rob has made abundantly clear! I think you nailed it he must have said "Yes". That and his mad skills as a 3d modeller might have helped a tiny bit. :lol:

Ron-

AHAHAHAHAHAH... You were paying attention!  Well done!

(I think that comment was lost on many people... LOL)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I got once stopped by the police, they asked me if I had drunk anything this day, i said yes. They then let me do an alco-test that zeroed out. They then asked me what the drink was, i replied "coffee" they said "but there is no alcohol in coffee!", i replied, that they never asked if i had had alcohol as a beverage.

After they had checked my car more than thoroughly and for more than 25 minutes they eventually let me go. Since this event i like to predict a bit of what the expected answer could be...

Best

Holger Kneib

Ron-

AHAHAHAHAHAH... You were paying attention!  Well done!

(I think that comment was lost on many people... LOL)

If the flaperons being retracted cause an increase in AoA, then that means the wing is producing more down wash aka induced drag which means that the airplane has to produce a more pitch up attitude to maintain the same amount of lift coming from the wings. Since this is the case, ground effect would be more pronounced and the airplane could settle at an attitude just feasible to maintain directional control on the runway.

Who knows, this could be way off but it's a try.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

On one of the picture there was a smoke effect when the tires came into contact with the runway on landing, is this a new feature because I dont think its on the NGX?

On one of the picture there was a smoke effect when the tires came into contact with the runway on landing, is this a new feature because I dont think its on the NGX?

That's an FSX feature! I have a modified effect to produce less smoke, looks much better than default.

-Iain Watson-

Re: tire smoke effect

We customized it for the 777 to make it look right.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Very nice now it just wont be a white cloud coming of the tires.

Kind regards

Mattias Nordgren   

fs2crew777.jpg

PRO-ATCX BETA TEAM

Thought I noticed something different there! Precision to the greatest (-;

Thank you for letting us know! Im sure with some of my 'heavier' landings there will be plenty of white smoke!