Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Graphic settings, the best I achieved so far...

Hi,

I revisited DX10 mode of FSX Gold after having digressed into LM prepar3d for a while.

I confess I like P3D more than I do FSX Gold default scenery (landclass and even mesh), but time showed me that the advantages I was seing in terms of performance / stuttering were somehow placebo, and I can get the same with FSX Gold.

Why did I return? Well, because although the Estonisn Migration Tool does wonders, there are still a couple of glitches, namely with an add-on - CumulusX! - that I like to use and produces rather weird effects in P3D. The author might consider a P3D version, but not right now, so, back to FSX Gold.

The forst thing I did on my re-install was to go straight into DX10 mode bacause it proved to look a lot better and smoother on my system than FSx Gold, but now I am using both, alternating between them because some of my add-ons (A2A's p51d and b377) lost their tooltips in DX10 mode :-/

But this thread's title has more to do with my choice of settings that optimized the use of FSX Gold (in DX10 or DX9 mode) as well as P3D. It's a mix of fsx.CFG and Nvidia Inspector that I would like to make available for other to try.

My system is made up of an old 500GB SATA disk, an i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and a Geeforce GTX 650 Ti with 1GB of GDDR5.

Some key points (and attached images of my NI settings)

1) I gave up on setting FPS limits, either through fsx.CFG or using NI as an external limiter. So, I have UNLIMITED (=0) in the FPS limit entry

2) I use Anisotropic Filtering settings from FSX / P3D, and set the to "Application-controlled" / Off [Linear] in NI

3) I use no AA flags in fsx.CFG

4) I have:

[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=0
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
D3D10=0

[Display]

(...)

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40
WideViewAspect=True

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.9 //Runway Lights
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.9 // VASI Lights
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.9 // Approach Bars
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.9 // Strobes

(...)

[Main]
DisablePreload=1    
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.20

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti .0]
Mode=1366x768x32
Anisotropic=1

[sCENERY]
LENSFLARE=0
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1376
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=907

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=75
MESH_RESOLUTION=24
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=6

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I will give this a try. Just upgraded my machine to 4Ghz with an GTX 660. Only have 6 GB of memory, this could be a problem....