Sign in to follow this  
James Bennett

747-400 Cost Index

What cost index do you guys run? I found a source that says British Airways climb on cost index 0 then cruise with cost index 90.

What cost index do you guys run?

If the flight is smaller than 4 hours I run at 90. When the flight is longer than 4 hours I run at 85. When flying over the Atlantic I fly at Mach .84.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

The long and short of the CI is that it really isn't often fixed.  While you'll find generic examples, as you've mentioned, certain flights will get bumped up and set back.  Say a flight gets delayed - it'll get bumped up to a higher CI to get to the destination on time (or closer to the planned time of arrival).  Alternatively, if delays at the destination field are expected, a flight may still depart with a lower CI in order to at least make the departure time, but accommodate the delay in the air (not something commercial carriers often do - more of a business aviation tactic, as their pricing structure is different).

I'm sure you'll find concrete numbers here and there, but it behooves an airline to use a CI appropriate for the length, passenger load, and passenger mix for the flight segment, which means it's going to change.

Kyle Rodgers

Nice one guys. Thanks for both the figures that you fly with and the detailed explanation og how the CI is changed to reflect timing etc.