Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Using Air Display app for the FMC

Hi all

Has anyone successfully used the Air Display app to undock the PMDG FMC to the iPad?

If so, does FSX have to be used in windowed mode? I can't seem to drag anything onto my iPad . The instructions on the app are not very clear. I have installed the software on my PC and the software recognises the iPad. That's about as far as I get

Cheers

Erich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can't help you with your original question since I don't use Air Display, but I can give you an alternative. Have a look at the VirtualCDU app, by Virtual Avionics. It's relatively new, but there a few simmers here that are using it successfully, myself included. It really works great and for $20 it's really a no-brainer. You already have an iPad so you're all set. I actually bought an iPad just to use this app!

Oh, and the reason I don't use Air Display is that it can't run on XP-64, which I'm still on. I'm working on building a new Haswell system this summer so I'll move to W7 then.

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

AFAIK you have to be in windowed mode and then undock the FMC window and drag it to your iPad but you have to leave a little bit of the FMC window still visible on your main screen to allow interaction.

Forget Airdisplay.

It is slow and buggy. Completely unreliable and unsuitable to be used as a second window as far as simming is concerned.

I tried it and I can't remember how many flights I had it shut down on me, becoming unresponsive.

For a while I contemplated buying a real FMC until I found Xdisplay/splashtop.

It is a great app, cheaper than virtualCDU and since it works just like airdisplay, you can use it for every single plane that has some form of FMC.

But, just like airdisplay, you have to run it while in windowed mode.

Luc

Belgium

Great, good feedback there. Ill have a look at both alternatives

Cheers

Erich

I can also vouch for the VirtualCDU app. I actually bought a samsung tablet (Android) to run it and I hope they develop more apps.

It really helps.

With the tablet I now run a host of things that are now off my main computer.

LIVE/ATC for Chatter. Bluesky radio. FSX KNeeboard apps, And the CDU. I really think apps like this will open a whole new market for Flight Sim.  

Just bought VirtualCDU- looks awesome. Can't wait to try it out tomorw

You're gonna love it, no kidding.

Here to help, if necessary...

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Okay, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here but I can't get Virtual CDU to connect. I'm using PMDG SP1c, have ensured the SDK entry in the .ini file is inserted, ensured my IP address is the same on my IPad VCDU as on my PC and have allowed access for VCDU through my firewall. It still refuses to connect. Have tried rebooting as well. Anyone else experience the same issue?

Erich

Okay, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here but I can't get Virtual CDU to connect. I'm using PMDG SP1c, have ensured the SDK entry in the .ini file is inserted, ensured my IP address is the same on my IPad VCDU as on my PC and have allowed access for VCDU through my firewall. It still refuses to connect. Have tried rebooting as well. Anyone else experience the same issue?

Erich

I'll be buying this and installing it tonight.  If you haven't found an answer by then, I'll see what I can do to help then or maybe be in the same boat with you, who knows.  :)  From what I've read on the developer's website and in the forums already, it sounds like you've done all the appropriate things already.  So, I'm not sure what to say right now, but hopefully I can be of more help tonight since I will be going through the same process too.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I'd appreciate that. A bit stumped here :/

Ok, I bought that app, installed it on my iPad and the required software on my FSX PC and it all works great!!! I've only done one flight with it so far, but it worked perfectly. At the moment, my iPad is set to put its display to "sleep" after 5 minutes. When it goes to sleep, the app disconnects itself automatically. However, all you have to do is hit connect again and it picks right up where your aircraft CDU is instantly. I think even better it will be to not have the iPad go to sleep.

ErichB...When you installed the VA Interface software on your FS pc, did you install the full install version first and then the update? I did the full and then the 2.1.27 update and that's it. I did not install the 2.1.26. If you've done that, then can you verify you have connectivity between your iPad and your FS pc? I haven't even had to think about this before from the iPad but there must be apps out there that can test network connectivity and do things like ping and stuff. You could try finding an app that will do that and test connectivity. Assuming you have connectivity and you've entered the correct IP of your FS machine in the Virtual CDU settings in the Settings app, then I'm not sure. I'm stretching here to try to think of other things that could cause it not to work. There isn't many options or things to configure or change.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Thanks for your input. I even uninstalled the PC software, reinstalled it, using only the latest update over the main program, checked the ping time using a ping app, but still nothing. At a loss. Ill contact the developer and see if he has any ideas.

Thanks

Erich