Sign in to follow this  
Sig226

At my wits end.

Hi All,

To give you some background I'm running FSX SP2, PMDG MD-11 (Latest), Active Sky 2012 (Latest) and FSUIPC (Registered).

I'm at my wits end with the PMDG MD-11 at cruise. For example I'm flying to OMSJ at the moment from HECA. I have winds 235/85 constant (no changes) and my general direction is 125 degree magnetic.. The MD-11 is constantly zig-zagging left and right of course. Even when it finally comes back and looks like it will stay on track with off-set for the wind, it will suddenly bank 20 degree right and then become far right of course. To correct it obviously goes left but doesn't follow the command bars promptly enough to maintain the track and ends up 0.4-1nm left of track and it keeps repeating a similar pattern.

I have just fixed the FSX wind bug by switching ASA to DWC mode but I must stress that I had these problems prior to doing so.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?

Rodney Aylmore.

The only 2 things I can think of is, 1, in activesky put the setting to direct weather control "which you have done" 2, update fsuipc to the latest version. Also double check your settings in fsuipc. Hope this helps let me know...Macky

All FSUIPC control over weather is currently off. No wind smoothing (as I found this caused conflict with Activesky on DWC and caused constant but minor wind changes which really threw the AC out)

Disable winds aloft in AS.

Never enabled.

Update; Now cruising with a 64 knot tailwind and its stable. Wind before was 85 knot crosswind/tailwind.

Are we sure it isn't the Registry issue that makes magnetic variation off by the magnitude of the magnetic variation at any given location? If you are lined up on a runway where Magnetic Variation isn't small, does the aircraft symbol on the ND point directly down the runway symbol for the selected runway? (I usually notice these things on the USA end of an Atlantic Crossing - so try it at KJFK rather than EGLL which has a smaller mag variation.)

Run Flight1's Registry repair tool from http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library as administrator, then run the Magnetic Variation update http://forum.avsim.net/topic/336155-magnetic-variation-updates-for-fs9-and-fsx/

Then run the Flight1 Registry repair tool a second time, as administrator. 

Now test.

Also have turbulence turned off in ActiveSky and even better, in FSUICP.